Question: The WAY TOO EARLY (who will be the QUARTERBACK in 2023) thread

ESPN is already naming Bama as a team to regress next year. Cream rises to the top. If one of our QBs steps up then I suspect ESPN will be wrong. I like the way the season sets up. Under dogs with a chip on their shoulders.
They're not really predicting regression, though, so much as pointing to a great loss of talent (generational players in Young and Anderson) and a lot of unknowns. They're not wrong.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would agree that they are all talented. Who becomes the best leader? Who performs best under pressure? Who protects the ball and doesn't commit turnovers? Who can make the throws when necessary? Who keeps us out of bad plays? I think the competition will be a good one.
IF CNS has one impact on the offense and especially the QBs he's had at Bama is the ability to instill an awareness of how importance of not turning over the ball.

The run has been amazing in the number of QBs we've had that had a TD/INT ratio of 3 or 4 to 1.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Miller makes two mistakes in his take on JM: he believes his running ability is more important than his passing ability (which he admits needs improvement). He also doesn't understand what I believe is how much better of a passer Ty is and that his running ability isn't chopped liver either.

It's his opinion and he may be correct, but I just don't see it.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think Miller makes two mistakes in his take on JM: he believes his running ability is more important than his passing ability (which he admits needs improvement). He also doesn't understand what I believe is how much better of a passer Ty is and that his running ability isn't chopped liver either.

I agree...let's be honest, the JM of last year will not be our QB!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm sort of feeling bad for our next QB. He will have to follow a line of Jalen Hurts, Tua T., Mac Jones, and Bryce Young. Can we even imagine how threatening that must feel to a 18-20 year old? Or maybe they just will not think about it...be clueless?
I watched a bit more of Ty Simpson throwing the ball in game situations this morning. He has the height that Jalen, Tua and Bryce lacked. In other circumstances we should be raving about him as the next great QB at Bama. Instead we talk about a freshman walking in and competing from day 1 when CNS said several times how the college game was much faster and freshman QB's in particular had to adapt to that. If Simpson had gone to another program and got a bit more playing time we would be coveting the possibility of him in the transfer portal the way some here talked about Drake Maye this year.

I am a glass half empty eeyore much of the time but with this I wonder if Bama's past wealth of QB's has us not being able to see the forest for the trees.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Now this from the link is funny!! :love::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I think Jalen Milroe will benefit the most from Tommy Rees,” Miller said. “He now will have a system that works for him. That system of spreading the ball out to some frisbee-catching dogs would not have worked for him

The QB battle is going to be exciting.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched a bit more of Ty Simpson throwing the ball in game situations this morning. He has the height that Jalen, Tua and Bryce lacked. In other circumstances we should be raving about him as the next great QB at Bama. Instead we talk about a freshman walking in and competing from day 1 when CNS said several times how the college game was much faster and freshman QB's in particular had to adapt to that. If Simpson had gone to another program and got a bit more playing time we would be coveting the possibility of him in the transfer portal the way some here talked about Drake Maye this year.

I am a glass half empty eeyore much of the time but with this I wonder if Bama's past wealth of QB's has us not being able to see the forest for the trees.
His passing ability is definitely upper end, but if you watch his HS highlights and the limited A-Day highlights on Youtube, one thing that jumps out to my non-expert QB Coach's eye is how quick he is to tuck it and run. The A-Day highlights show if his first read isn't there he immediately tucks it and runs. That's not saying he won't improve on that in the offseason, just making an observation on what I saw from the videos that are available.

One of the incoming freshmen, Eli Holstein, is very good at staying in the pocket and going through his reads and even stepping up in the pocket to buy time. Granted, that was against HS competition, but if we're trying to compare the best we can, Ty Simpson's HS highlights showed him tucking and running at a much faster rate. That could have been due to playing against a higher level of competition or just not being as developed in that area as Holstein.

No one is knocking Ty Simpson and my guess is he will develop and improve upon those areas by the time the season gets here. But, I can tell you if he doesn't improve on the above-mentioned things, there are incoming freshmen that might push both Simpson and Milroe for playing time.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
They're not really predicting regression, though, so much as pointing to a great loss of talent (generational players in Young and Anderson) and a lot of unknowns. They're not wrong.
They are doing what that do best, stir the pot. When there is no news to report on they are more that willing to make up something for reaction. Works most every time.

Reactions: Padreruf

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here is a video of Holstein for those who haven't watched him. Look how comfortable he is in the pocket and though he will run, he does so after going through a lot of passing options. Also pay attention to his ability to step up in the pocket and throw. There are also a few plays where he flushed from the pocket but keeps his eyes downfield and feet behind the LOS and throws a dart down the field.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just hope none of the QB's transfer. We need depth in case there is an injury. I think all 4 QB's will improve from Rees coaching them. It does not matter to me who starts, as long as he can get the job done and we can make it back to the playoffs.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I just hope none of the QB's transfer. We need depth in case there is an injury. I think all 4 QB's will improve from Rees coaching them. It does not matter to me who starts, as long as he can get the job done and we can make it back to the playoffs.
Unfortunately, you can count on at least one transferring.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Bamabuzzard

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yep, that's just the nature of the beast nowadays with how easy it is to transfer. I would expect at least one to transfer.
If so, who do you think it would be to transfer, Jalen Milroe? I doubt the 2 who just signed would transfer, and doubt Ty would. That leaves Milroe. I wonder if he'd be willing to change positions if he knew he would get more playing time at that position and it may help him succeed at the NFL level later on. He may want to be like Jalen Hurts though, and be set on QB position regardless. It turned out great for Hurts of course.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Because both are black, many make the mistake that they are similar players but JH and JM, while having similarities, are very different. JH always had a good throwing motion, JM does not. JH was fairly accurate, especially to stationary targets, JM is not. JH often had trouble pulling the trigger - he took CNS’s “no TOs” too much to heart, not sure about JM. They both have strong arms.

When running the ball they both have very good top end speed, JM is much quicker and more elusive, JH is almost awkward at times. JH is strong as an ox but usually does not use his power.

Psychologically, no one works like JH. No one takes coaching to heart like JH. No one is as focused as JH. That’s why he is probably CNS’ favorite player of all time. JM is a great kid, as likable as any player I can remember in the few interviews I’ve seen but his psychological makeup is nothing like JH. It’s good but nothing like JH because almost no one’s is.

They are both black, a meaningless similarity, and there are a couple of other more meaningful but slight similarities, but at the moment, and the same point in their development, they are very very different players.

Reactions: Rush

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If so, who do you think it would be to transfer, Jalen Milroe? I doubt the 2 who just signed would transfer, and doubt Ty would. That leaves Milroe. I wonder if he'd be willing to change positions if he knew he would get more playing time at that position and it may help him succeed at the NFL level later on. He may want to be like Jalen Hurts though, and be set on QB position regardless. It turned out great for Hurts of course.
If I was forced to bet on the 1st game starting QB I would bet that Milroe will get the start based on past patterns with Jalen and Tua until it was forced in the NC game and the fact that Milroe got the playing time this season. This will raise stress levels and at some point Simpson's Dad is going to be reading the tea leaves to decide the best alternative for the QB he developed. We had identical conversations regarding Jalen Hurts and his future as a QB and look where he is now. CNS clearly understands how fluid the transfer situation is that is the reason for having two QB's in the pipeline.

IMO Milroe is such an outstanding athlete he will get every opportunity until he succeeds or comes up short.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Because both are black, many make the mistake that they are similar players but JH and JM, while having similarities, are very different. JH always had a good throwing motion, JM does not. JH was fairly accurate, especially to stationary targets, JM is not. JH often had trouble pulling the trigger - he took CNS’s “no TOs” too much to heart, not sure about JM. They both have strong arms.

When running the ball they both have very good top end speed, JM is much quicker and more elusive, JH is almost awkward at times. JH is strong as an ox but usually does not use his power.

Psychologically, no one works like JH. No one takes coaching to heart like JH. No one is as focused as JH. That’s why he is probably CNS’ favorite player of all time. JM is a great kid, as likable as any player I can remember in the few interviews I’ve seen but his psychological makeup is nothing like JH. It’s good but nothing like JH because almost no one’s is.

They are both black, a meaningless similarity, and there are a couple of other more meaningful but slight similarities, but at the moment, and the same point in their development, they are very very different players.
I'm not ready to discard Milroe just yet. We've hardly seen him play. And what we have seen, he was nervous being thrust in to fill in for Bryce. CNS had him number 2 for some reason. He passed really well in HS. Don't see why he can't at the college level. Hopefully, we'll know more A-Day.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm not ready to discard Milroe just yet. We've hardly seen him play. And what we have seen, he was nervous being thrust in to fill in for Bryce. CNS had him number 2 for some reason. He passed really well in HS. Don't see why he can't at the college level. Hopefully, we'll know more A-Day.
I’m not discarding Milroe, just discarding the notion that he and Hurts are similar as was implied in that article. IMHO, Milroe needs to improve his throwing dramatically, whether it’s reading the D, pulling the trigger, throwing motion, etc. He also needs to improve his poise quite a bit.

Who knows, Simpson may have even farther to go in some areas, it’s hard to know because he never played in ‘real’ time; but he appears to be a better thrower of the football now. The casual observer understandably focuses on throwing the football because that’s what he can see. It’s obviously very important but there are many other factors at play in the final decision, like ‘winning the team’ as CNS puts it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I agree with those of you saying that Ty needs to work on staying on the pocket when possible.

His HS OL looked terrible though and he was running for his life out of necessity.

So he probably has some bad habits that were created from that.

But if he can put it all together then he will be a NIGHTMARE for opposing D's to deal with.

Ty can SLING IT but he can also escape from defenders like politicians escape from the truth 😅

Reactions: seebell and UAH

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.