BREAKING Tommy Rees hired as OC

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This was what Alabama SHOULD have done in the NCG against Clemson a few years ago when Clemson won 35-31 on the final play. I remember complaining that we were snapping it with 10-12 seconds on the play clock which just gave the ball back to Deshaun Watson sooner. Had we run it down to 1 or 2 seconds the entire game then Clemson probably doesn't have a chance for a final play. Same strategy should be used against a team like Tennessee. I can't remember when we were snapping it against them this past season. Of course Bamabuzzard's point is valid about using it as a strategy vs. confusion.
Under 5 seconds, getting it down to the last couple of seconds could be detrimental to your QB. Wouldn’t be long until defenders timed the snap.

running down the play clock is what teams do when you play to your defense, run a ball control offense.

Our offense last year was suppose to be dynamic. A dynamic offense should vary the snap count, not let a defense get in a rhythm. As Big said, our offense snapped the ball with a second on the clock out of disarray, not strategy. .

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Under 5 seconds, getting it down to the last couple of seconds could be detrimental to your QB. Wouldn’t be long until defenders timed the snap.

running down the play clock is what teams do when you play to your defense, run a ball control offense.

Our offense last year was suppose to be dynamic. A dynamic offense should vary the snap count, not let a defense get in a rhythm. As Big said, our offense snapped the ball with a second on the clock out of disarray, not strategy. .
Agreed. Some teams have their plays in, know what they are doing, and are using motions etc and are choosing to let the clock go low in certain situations.

last year we were often barely getting the play to the QB in time for him to get everyone lined up, take one look at the defense and try to get the snap off, and sometimes we didn't.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Bryce called a lot of adjustments at the line after the play call was already in. He was constantly checking into something, running up to communicate.

We never varied our snap count. Bryce did do some fake claps, but we almost always were running the clock down under 3 seconds. This especially doesn't bode well for the QB when its 3rd and long and the D is already coming after the QB on a known pass play....plus we were running long developing routes that just took too much time.

Without Bryce running around being a hero more often than not.....Bama probably has 3 or 4, maybe more losses.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Agreed. Some teams have their plays in, know what they are doing, and are using motions etc and are choosing to let the clock go low in certain situations.

last year we were often barely getting the play to the QB in time for him to get everyone lined up, take one look at the defense and try to get the snap off, and sometimes we didn't.
Jalen Hurts and Eagles does the same thing.
49ers does this. Dallas, Miami. It's a common NFL thing. That's the point. NFL thing..

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Bryce called a lot of adjustments at the line after the play call was already in. He was constantly checking into something, running up to communicate.
One thing I've often wondered about is "How disruptive is it to the players on offense if the QB is frequently changing plays?" Can teammates quickly adjust or does it create some confusion? I've never played so I don't really know. Sometimes I feel it may be better to just run the original play and hope for the best rather than overanalyze things and risk getting everyone confused.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So something I've wondered about lately, why shouldn't the college game allow for direct communication thru the QB's helmet just like the NFL?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So something I've wondered about lately, why shouldn't the college game allow for direct communication thru the QB's helmet just like the NFL?
Probably cost. Every school would have to provide their own in-stadium system.

I'm 100% for it, but considering only about 25 schools operate in the black every year I don't see that happening anytime soon. Would love to be wrong, though!

Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I'm 100% for it, but considering only about 25 schools operate in the black every year I don't see that happening anytime soon. Would love to be wrong, though!
Yeah there are teams that can barely afford uniforms and running water for the visitor locker room. I think if they want communication helmets then it probably would come from the conferences…. Which means it won’t.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Missed the Game because I was closing Publix seafood again. Pretty much missed most games in 2022 college and pro. Honestly, I got to figure out what I am doing with my life because If I am going to miss football on the weekends, I want it to be something worth the sacrifice.
You‘re really asking a much larger question.

You’re asking what your priorities are, and your timeframe is 30-40 years or so.

The answer isn’t easy, and is extremely personal. Regardless of the path you choose, you will make trade offs that have positive and negative aspects.

I hope you find the answer that works best for you.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm totally in the dark on how much that technology would cost, but wouldn't it just be building a helmet around a headset (or a headset inside a helmet)? This is already employed on the sideline and booth by most of the coaches already.

Reactions: FaninLA

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Similar to Alabama, UGA out talented their competition. Unlike Alabama, UGA has a decidedly weaker schedule than Alabama. I still think we would have beaten the dawgs had we gotten the opportunity but, they won back to back titles so I'll give them that. But they are still Bama wannabes IMHO.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.