Brandon Miller affair thread...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I don't know Herb Jones (or, frankly Brandon Miller) well enough but honestly can't imagine Tua being in this situation. Would he have been out cruising in the wee hours after a big home game? Let alone with a suspended player? I doubt it.

Again, I think Miller acquitted himself admirably after the fact. I have no reason to doubt his word that he didn't know his friends had left a gun in his car. But every football player has heard a coach say "Nothing good happens after midnight." I can't imagine that hasn't made it to basketball.

More generally, media commentators, even those who aren't simply hot-take artists like Finebaum, are just shocked that three players associated with the Alabama basketball team were involved in a murder. One was the shooter, the other supplied the gun, and the other was the driver who delivered (if unintentionally) the gun.

The fact that Miller's involvement wasn't disclosed makes it looks like there was a cover-up, even if there were good reasons for keeping it private. That he wasn't suspended for even a game makes it look like we're prioritizing sports over human life; that the coaches are way ahead of the media and public in their investigation of the matter be damned. If this had happened at Tennessee or LSU, I suspect we'd be in the same boat.
The shooter was not a player.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I get that he was a former player. They were hanging around together because they had been teammates.
There has been alot of moral righteousness coming out of this from adults all around, one of the common themes from that circle is omission of facts, or misrepresentation.. the third person involved, the shooter was not a part of Alabama basketball at the time of the incident or any time before that.

Edited to remove useless snark

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
No! The shooter was a friend of Miles visiting from Maryland! No connection to the team, not a former student, not a former player. You have read this thread and still cant get the facts right...

Miles handed his gun or Davis took his gun and shot at the victims. Miles was already several days away from the team for undisclosed reasons.

smdh...

I get that he was a former player. They were hanging around together because they had been teammates.

The shooter was not a player.
and
There has been alot of moral righteousness coming out of this from middle aged adults from all around, one of the common themes from that circle is omission of facts, or misrepresentation.. the third person involved, the shooter was not a part of Alabama basketball at the time of the incident or any time before that.
Ah, my apologies.

There are three current or former Alabama basketball players who are associated with the incident (Miller, Darius Miles, and Jaden Bradley) and who were in the original reports. That number fixed in my head. I had not understood that the shooter was a fourth person, Michael Lynn Davis. I likely just substituted Davis for Bradley because he stopped getting mentioned in the reports.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
and

Ah, my apologies.

There are three current or former Alabama basketball players who are associated with the incident (Miller, Darius Miles, and Jaden Bradley) and who were in the original reports. That number fixed in my head. I had not understood that the shooter was a fourth person, Michael Lynn Davis. I likely just substituted Davis for Bradley because he stopped getting mentioned in the reports.
and this is why everything you’ve typed so far is pointless. You are looking at this from an altered view that didn’t exist.

Miller was a witness
Bradley as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ah, my apologies.

I think we all understand your 'hot take' at this point, so unless / until you familiarize yourself more with the facts of the case, maybe sit this one out, wrt sharing your opinion.

SMH

and this is why everything you’ve typed so far is pointless. You are looking at this from an altered view that didn’t exist.

Miller was a witness
Bradley as well.
I’m both trying to gain an understanding of what happened and explain why people who aren’t intimately familiar with the program aren’t dismissing this as a non-issue. I failed at the first part of that, getting confused as to the relationship of the participants.

I think ‘witness’ understates Miller’s role in the event but agree that he committed no crime, cooperated with the police, and probably shouldn’t have been suspended.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: UAllday

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
three players associated with the Alabama basketball team were involved in a murder. the same boat.
Oh my goodness, Miller was a witness to a crime, not involved in a murder. So now witnesses should be treated as criminals and get suspended. He broke no laws, there is no evidence that he did anything wrong, yet people want him treated as a guilty person who pulled the trigger.

Regarding the watkins “guru” on Finebaum, had UA and CNO suspended Miller without him being charged with a crime, he would’ve been leading the charge of how that would have been an injustice. Basically UA is in a “Damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation.
100% this! It's amazing how quickly the media goes from defending unarmed black individuals killed by cops to crucifying an unarmed black person for witnessing a crime.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Maybe it's worth spending the time and energy to learn the facts up front before spouting nonsense as if one were part of the national media or an opposing fan. You'd think a fan would offer more care and diligence in a matter like this prior to turning on our own players and spending so much time and energy disparaging them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We need to confine our critiques to the facts, mis-characterization of the facts, and omissions of material facts — and there are oceans of all three out there.

Denigrating an opinion because the person offering it is middle-aged or white or never played the game or is an overweight ex-jock, or is a member of whatever demographic group, is a really slippery slope.

Can you imagine if someone said that you shouldn’t believe a word Brandon Miller says because he’s, “a young black baller and, well, you know how they are?”

We can go to town pointing out the entirely relevant gaps in the logic and mis-characterization of the documented circumstances without getting into what the opiners look like — which is 100% irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Miller shows up to pick up Miles.
Miles retrieves his (legal carry) gun from Miller's back seat.
The gun transfers to Davis.
Shooting erupts.
Miller's car gets hit and Miller drives away quickly.

All this happened quickly. Where was Bradley? Was he in the car with Miller?

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Miller shows up to pick up Miles.
Miles retrieves his (legal carry) gun from Miller's back seat.
The gun transfers to Davis.
Shooting erupts.
Miller's car gets hit and Miller drives away quickly.

All this happened quickly. Where was Bradley? Was he in the car with Miller?
I thought I remembered he was in his own car...

Reactions: Ledsteplin

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
One thing that annoys me about all this is that we have a chance to clinch the SEC title tonight (and against Auburn of all teams) and our guys' minds are likely going to be highly distracted by all this. I know how superficial that sounds, but that doesn't make it any less true.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
After I hit "SAVE" I went back in the thread and noticed that several of the comments in my "opus" have been said by others. I started this post more than a couple of hours ago, then had another activity, then resumed. I should have gone back and read the intervening posts before I resumed.

I don't know Herb Jones (or, frankly Brandon Miller) well enough but honestly can't imagine Tua being in this situation. Would he have been out cruising in the wee hours after a big home game? Let alone with a suspended player? I doubt it.
Darius Miles was not suspended.

The key phrase here is that you "don't know" Herb or Tua or Brandon well enough. You seem to be just looking for warts.

Again, I think Miller acquitted himself admirably after the fact. I have no reason to doubt his word that he didn't know his friends had left a gun in his car. But every football player has heard a coach say "Nothing good happens after midnight." I can't imagine that hasn't made it to basketball.
You can't even acknowledge his good behavior in the most important aspects of the case without a "but". And you never detail any good behavior, but you go into much detail and speculation regarding "possible" warts.

More generally, media commentators, even those who aren't simply hot-take artists like Finebaum, are just shocked that three players associated with the Alabama basketball team were involved in a murder. One was the shooter, the other supplied the gun, and the other was the driver who delivered (if unintentionally) the gun.
He wasn't "delivering a gun" - he was picking up his friend.

You're much too worried about the opinion of those who care little or nothing about the truth or the people involved. You're not as dull as you appear.

The fact that Miller's involvement wasn't disclosed makes it looks like there was a cover-up, even if there were good reasons for keeping it private.
As far as we know the University was not covering up anything.

Miller's only "involvement" was as an unwitting bystander whose kindness to his friend put him in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That he wasn't suspended for even a game makes it look like we're prioritizing sports over human life; that the coaches are way ahead of the media and public in their investigation of the matter be damned.
That's preposterous. Why do you suspend someone, implying he has some culpability, when as far as we know at this time, he is innocent legally, morally and ethically, in fact, had acted admirably? All this to satisfy a mob who cares little to nothing about the truth or the people involved but is out for blood, clicks, attention or the sanctimonious appearance of "looking at both sides".

And to suspend him a token game would just inflame the mob and cheapen the girl's death. If he's culpable it should be for the year or career. Anyone who thinks the University is "prioritizing sports over human life" is a clown and their judgment, if they had any, has deserted them.

Truth, not an appearance of impartiality, is the goal. A young man's reputation is at stake.

If this had happened at Tennessee or LSU, I suspect we'd be in the same boat.
You are ignorant. The last time I looked at the thread on the current UGA situation many, not all of course, Bama fans had taken a wait and see approach. I personally said that from the still picture there did not seem to be anything untoward. Of course there is much more unknown to the public at this time.

(Having said that, I agree that the Bama fan base in general often assumes the worst of an opponent, but never to this degree and with this kind of over the top vehemence.

Also, I've noticed a welcome caution by many about such matters the last few years.

I rarely comment on "scandals" because, among other reasons, I know that things are almost never as they appear at first and even by the end we often end up with only a partial picture. Also, when the mob has a narrative they want to pursue, they rarely consider all of the facts or mitigating factors and everything is black and white, which is frequently not the case. Now even when LE is involved, if people don't get the verdict they want, they accuse them of a conspiracy to hide the truth. .)

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
[
I’m both trying to gain an understanding of what happened and explain why people who aren’t intimately familiar with the program aren’t dismissing this as a non-issue. I failed at the first part of that, getting confused as to the relationship of the participants.

I think ‘witness’ understates Miller’s role in the event but agree that he committed no crime, cooperated with the police, and probably shouldn’t have been suspended.
Clay Travis is that you?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So, why isn't this UGA football player getting crucified by ESPN for "taking part in a crime", why are they not jumping the gun before all the facts are known for him? Why is UGA not being crucified for not saying he was involved before now (does anyone really belive they didn't know he was involved, didn't think so)?

Why was Miller not offered the same restraint from the media that UGA is now getting?

Carter flees the scene of an accident and then lies to police, while Miller is honest and cooperates with authorities but, Miller is the villain.

Come on ESPN. I'm waiting for the same type of overreaction and off the wall theatrics directed at Carter and the UGA "cover-up".

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So, why isn't this UGA football player getting crucified by ESPN for "taking part in a crime", why are they not jumping the gun before all the facts are known for him? Why is UGA not being crucified for not saying he was involved before now (does anyone really belive they didn't know he was involved, didn't think so)?

Why was Miller not offered the same restraint from the media that UGA is now getting?

Carter flees the scene of an accident and then lies to police, while Miller is honest and cooperates with authorities but, Miller is the villain.

Come on ESPN. I'm waiting for the same type of overreaction and off the wall theatrics directed at Carter and the UGA "cover-up".
UGA put out statements from Smart and the university that struck exactly the right tone. They clearly anticipated the new information becoming public, and were prepared when it did.

I’d also guess that Smart and the Athletic Director have practiced the talking points. So if they get an unanticipated question, they’re be able to respond smoothly and truthfully, and their statements will be consistent across all speakers.

Contrast that to our own response to the Miller information, which makes the Keystone Kops look as crisp and organized as a military close-order drill.

It’s true that the media outlets overreacted, mis-characterized and intentionally left out important details on Miller’s story.

But we should never have allowed it to be that way. If we had had smooth and truthful talking points ready to go, with personnel likely to have a microphone thrust in their faces (Oats and Byrne) having practiced the delivery, we could have prevented a ton of this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.