BREAKING NCAA proposes new rules for college football in 2023

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So if Team A calls a timeout to set up for the field goal would Team B not be allowed to call one?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Also teams that are based around running the ball can purposely shorten the game against better opponents.
You mean like has happened since football began?

The Giants were maybe the fourth or fifth best team in the NFL in 1990.
They won the NFC title and Super Bowl by running the clock from the first play.

A few years ago, Army nearly beat that Oklahoma powerhouse offense by holding the ball something like 42 minutes.

I'm not saying it won't increase it, but teams have been employing that strategy forever, too.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Do away with halftime and extend the break between quarters a bit. TV wouldn't like it but that is why we are in this situation in the first place.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Do away with halftime and extend the break between quarters a bit. TV wouldn't like it but that is why we are in this situation in the first place.
Yeah, but TV is paying the money. It’s no different than why churches (in most cases) have music that cater to the tastes of their biggest donors.

Every game in every sport is longer because TV.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I find it hilarious the idea of Alabama fans not liking the idea of running the football and stopping the run as key to win a football game in 2023. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Smokescreen for their - for our - inherent noblesse oblige on behalf of the chain gang - you know, fearing mass myocardial infarction as they're forced to race up and down the sideline to keep up with the return of murderball. Of course they'll get a respite as the reintensified Saban Death Star defense 3-and-outs their recovery time...

Reactions: DrJJoyner
This isn’t going to shorten the game. It will just add more time for commercials.
It'll shorten the game. The NFL has been playing by these rules since at least the 1970s and their games are considerably shorter despite all the TV timeouts. (Part of it is that the NFL halftime is 12 minutes vs 20 for FBS but the clock rules matter.)

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I like the new rules and I know they are doing it to "shorten the game". You know what would really shorten the game? Not have 2 hours of commercials.
As in any debate, the necessary first step is to define your terms.
To the Rules Committee, "shorten the game" means reduce the number of times young men will run at each other and collide.
For you and me, it means, reduce the time between kick off and quad zeros on the scoreboard clock.

As in any debate, the necessary first step is to define your terms.
To the Rules Committee, "shorten the game" means reduce the number of times young men will run at each other and collide.
For you and me, it means, reduce the time between kick off and quad zeros on the scoreboard clock.
I think they're trying to do both.

We'll probably see 7-12 fewer plays on average per game. That adds up over a 12-game season, let alone that plus an expanded playoff.

But they're also trying to make the actual elapsed time between kickoff and the final whistle shorter so that games fit into more predictable television windows. It's very rare for 1pm Eastern /noon Central NFL games, which follow these clock rules, to leak into the 4:15/3:15 window. Fans hate it when they're trying to tune into their team's game at, say, 7pm, only to find the Purdue-Maryland game is in quadruple overtime and their game is now on some channel they may or may not get.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.