News Article: Bears trade #1 overall pick to the Panthers

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Panthers are better off trading the #1 picks If they want Richardson. Doesn't make sense for them to trade to number one and pick Richardson.

Rumors is they like multiple Qbs prospects so they will trade down. Not sure why they did all of that in first place.
[/QUOTE
Interesting indeed.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We see head scratchers each draft - but anyone desperately needing a starting QB who drafts AR in the top ten is insane. He’s at least 1-2 years away (if not more) from being capable, IMO, and if you desperately need a starter, can you wait that long?
But I guess I need look no further than the top ten busts, all positions, over the last few decades to realize anything can happen.

Reactions: seebell

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
There's no way you draft Anthony Richardson with what the Panthers had to give up to get the #1 pick. Trading up for Richardson is a draft day trade after you see what happens in the first 3-4 picks. They probably could have gotten Richardson by just staying at #9.
This x1000. No chance it’s anyone other than BY or CJ. Carolina is actually not that bad a landing spot for BY.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Panthers are better off trading the #1 picks If they want Richardson. Doesn't make sense for them to trade to number one and pick Richardson.

Rumors is they like multiple Qbs prospects so they will trade down. Not sure why they did all of that in first place.
Honestly I think they got the best deal possible. The Niners gave up 3 number one picks for the #3 pick to get Lance. They just traded this year and gave up next year’s pick and a third rounder the next. Not bad IF they nail the pick. I think it’ll be BY but who knows. Jacksonville blew my mind last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Meanwhile the Failcons just gave a big contract to their guard. How many teams have won a Super Bowl because of a really good guard? They also signed a mediocre back-up QB (Heinicke). They must think Ridder is going to be a future Hall of Famer. Spoiler alert: They are wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Honestly I think they got the best deal possible. The Niners gave up 3 number one picks for the #3 pick to get Lance. They just traded this year and gave up next year’s pick and a third rounder the next. Not bad IF they nail the pick. I think it’ll be BY but who knows. Jacksonville blew my mind last year.
SO, How's Lance working out for 49ers..... they got hammered for what they did.. all to pick Lance..... Panthers isn't going to make that same mistake.

Panthers needs to fix lot of issues and I'm not sure getting BY is it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
They are banking that they will be able to teach him the things that he needs to do to be a quarterback.

The harsh reality is that only one of these athletic quarterbacks has taken coaching and developed himself in the passing game while still being a legitimate running threat: Jalen Hurts.

Richardson is a dynamic athlete who is just as likely to bullseye the mascot as he is to correctly read an NFL defense and make an accurate, on time throw.
Josh Allen is another though last season he looked like he needed Brian Daboll badly. But he has, shockingly to me, become an amazing passer. Hopefully, he will return to 2021 form next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Josh Allen is another though last season he looked like he needed Brian Daboll badly. But he has, shockingly to me, become an amazing passer. Hopefully, he will return to 2021 form next year.
Daboll seemingly has turned out to be the qb "whisperer". When he leaves the Bills, Allen struggles and when he joins the Giants, Daniel Jones gets a huge contract extension for his improvements.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
As a Bears fan, this was a slam dunk for us and makes up for the Khalil Mack trade....
Really? I’m just surprised that they couldn’t do better. I’m not on the phones for them but I just know that two years ago it would have been a LOT more expensive for other teams to get that pick. I definitely think they made the right decision to trade that pick. They can build up and around JF now.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
SO, How's Lance working out for 49ers..... they got hammered for what they did.. all to pick Lance..... Panthers isn't going to make that same mistake.

Yup and I think it’s a cautionary tale and is probably the precise reason the Colts and others didn’t trade away their future on an unproven QB. That said I am pretty sure selecting BY is a safer roll of the dice than TL was.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
You can hardly find one mock draft that has BY as the No. 1 pick now. Interesting how now that they know 100% that Carolina is picking a QB you see them drafting Levis, Richardson or CJ with the pick. This reminds me a lot of last year’s draft. Everyone knew who Jacksonville was going to select until the day before the draft when everyone knew it would be someone else entirely. 😆

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008

I’m beginning to think you might be right. It looks like they might be trying to get a QB desperate team to take a nibble at this pick. Not a bad idea considering what they gave up to get it.

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
Dang, I heard on ESPNradio going to work this morning that Panthers are interested in Anthony Richardson as #1 overall. Thinking Cam Newton 2.0. Probably what we should expect from a franchise that gave away their future for a QB , and no way to help him.
Think JaMarcus Russell, not Scam, and you'll have a better idea of the outcome.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Regarding the Niners, Brock Purdy's unforeseen success really puts a lot of "sour" on the Trey Lance deal. The guy now already has had a season ending injury, barely any quality playing time and assuming Purdy 100% recovers, is now looking at the back of Purdy's jersey on the depth chart. I still say the better pick was Mac Jones.

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Regarding the Niners, Brock Purdy's unforeseen success really puts a lot of "sour" on the Trey Lance deal. The guy now already has had a season ending injury, barely any quality playing time and assuming Purdy 100% recovers, is now looking at the back of Purdy's jersey on the depth chart. I still say the better pick was Mac Jones.
Lance was a colossal waste of a high pick.

Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.