PSA-Check the mileage the oil change technician enters into their computer

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you don't already, please check the mileage the oil change technician enters into their system when getting your oil changed at a service center to which CarFax has access. I am currently fighting the company I have a car warranty with for repairs on my vehicle because a technician at the oil change service center I use transposed the mileage on one of my oil changes. I was fortunate enough to have the manager locate the invoice in which the transposition took place and print it for me to send to the claims department of the warranty company to get them to approve the repairs.

I have no idea why anyone would put any credibility into a data source where an unskilled, $10/hour employee enters information. Lord knows the number of keystroke errors that exist that show up on CarFax reports.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
As a corollary, I considered buying a car once a few years ago, and when I drove it, the car seemed a bit sluggish. After looking closely at the car after hours, I noticed the two points on the hood closest to the windshield were rusty. Obviously, the hood of the car had been taken off, set on the ground and the paint was chipped. Nobody takes the hood off of a car unless there's some serious issue with a car.

Of course the CARFAX showed the car had no issues, so since then, I take the CARFAX with a total grain of salt.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
As a corollary, I considered buying a car once a few years ago, and when I drove it, the car seemed a bit sluggish. After looking closely at the car after hours, I noticed the two points on the hood closest to the windshield were rusty. Obviously, the hood of the car had been taken off, set on the ground and the paint was chipped. Nobody takes the hood off of a car unless there's some serious issue with a car.

Of course the CARFAX showed the car had no issues, so since then, I take the CARFAX with a total grain of salt.
Apparently, warranty companies put credibility into it. They are also looking for any way to not pay as well. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddrn

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

the only thing Carfax is good for is checking major accidents

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My Mom's car has a couple very minor scrapes on the passenger side. Nothing major, but the rest of the car ('08 Taurus SEL w/21K miles) is mint. I ran it by a trusted local body shop and asked if it'd be worth repairing under Mom's insurance. The owner said I should consider that if we did it that way, the repair would show up on Carfax. The reason he mentioned that is I told him I think this car might be worth selling on B.A.T. one day, given it's engineering, condition, and age.

I didn't think it'd be a big deal as long as before and after pics were included on the auction site showing this was very minor. But will probably just pay cash and get it done at some point.

A lot of people do not know about the different generations and history of the Ford Taurus. Wiki has some good detailed info:

Ford Taurus (fifth generation)

Reactions: Toddrn and seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have no idea why anyone would put any credibility into a data source where an unskilled, $10/hour employee enters information. Lord knows the number of keystroke errors that exist that show up on CarFax reports.
I have no idea why anyone would put any credibility into the work that an unskilled, $10/hour employee does to one of one's expensive investments. :LOL:

Yes, I change my own oil. :)

Reactions: Bazza

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I am issuing a public apology to the unskilled $10/hour employee for thinking it was a transposition error. After it was all said and done, we were sold a vehicle with rolled-back miles. After weeks of debate with the GM of the car-lot and showing him that he legally has an obligation to buy the car back at the full price at which I bought it, and if he didn't believe me he was more than welcome to talk to his and my lawyer. He decided it was in his best interest to buy the car back in full.

Again, my apologies to the unskilled $10/hour employee. I will self-impose my punishment and sit in sackcloth and ash.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I am issuing a public apology to the unskilled $10/hour employee for thinking it was a transposition error. After it was all said and done, we were sold a vehicle with rolled-back miles. After weeks of debate with the GM of the car-lot and showing him that he legally has an obligation to buy the car back at the full price at which I bought it, and if he didn't believe me he was more than welcome to talk to his and my lawyer. He decided it was in his best interest to buy the car back in full.

Again, my apologies to the unskilled $10/hour employee. I will self-impose my punishment and sit in sackcloth and ash.
See it’s stuff like this that makes me incredibly skeptical about buying anything used.
I did buy a used Camry once. Continuously had issues with the right front brakes and my mechanic fought it for the longest trying to figure out what was going on. I swear it must have been in a wreck before so got it but I could never prove it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.