Brainstorming CNO's MO (How does he adjust going forward?)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Looking past the disappointment this morning and thinking about the future.

If you've been following the program since CNO arrived, you know his formula for success can be broken down like this:

Offensively: shoot lots of 3's, lots of shots in the paint at the rim (dribble drives, drop passes, lobs, etc.) and points off free throws. He believes in 5 athletic guys who can run the floor and play fast!

Defensively: guard tightly with long, lanky defenders and rebound (in a nutshell).

There's already some talk about the things CNO needs to consider to help push our program over the hump (especially in light of the parity NIL brings and the way the game is officiated by allowing rough, body checking physical play).

Without allowing this to deteriorate into a complaint thread about officiating (someone can start that thread if they want) OR complaints about why we don't shoot midrange jumpers (if you want to know do some research on analytics and you'll get your answer), what adjustments/tweaks would you like to see CNO bring into the program???

I'll offer two suggestions:
1. Different point guard play: Love JQ but he had the propensity to play hero ball and CNO would inexplicably allow him to do so for big stretches. He's a wizard with the ball and against certain teams, he could get to the rim, but he's not the perfect PG for CNO. Neither is Jaydon Bradley, at least at this point in his college career. His minutes sank to almost nothing as it became clear he was an offensive liability with his 3 point shooting. Teams played under the high screen and basically clogged the paint because they knew he wouldn't/couldn't shoot the 3. The next great PG for CNO would be a guy who's a mixture of JQ, who has a really good 3 point shot, and Bradley who's tough and physical and can get to the rim. Too bad Colin Sexton didn't play for CNO cause he'd be ideal.

2. I'd really like to see us be willing to use a 4 or 5 that has some post up ability. There are times when a guy with his back to the rim in the post is needed. Times when the game slows down (like teams try to do to us) and times when the 3 isn't falling (think last month of the season and last night) and times when teams are more physical and take away our dribble drive game. Noah Gurley was probably the only guy on the team with this talent, but he hardly ever got intentional looks down low and I'm not sure he is strong enough, overall, to be dependable at the rim. But a post player that is a real threat can take some pressure off a struggling offense in a game like last night. Drew Timme scored 30+ points with this type of game for the Zags Thursday night playing with his back to the basket in a lot of sets. It's not a part of the modern game (especially for CNO) but old school stuff can still be effective in spots and that's what I'm recommending. Granted, this type of player for CNO would still need other skills, but this type of guy could push our offense over the edge in tough, physical games like the ones we lost this year.

What else have you got?

Last edited:

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Just keep adding talent. This was basically his first recruiting class with everything going on with Covid and pandemic. Most of the recruiting for players is done when players are Sophmores going into Junior year. The key will be keeping the guys you want and also adding in from the transfer portal. SDState played 9 guys last night with 7 seniors and 2 Juniors. 3 of those guys were on their 5th year. I said it before this team was the best team in the country mid season but experience matters in the Big Dance. I am sure the off field distractions didn’t help.

I agree with different point guard and one that is more consistent and doesn’t have as many ups and downs. JQ one game looks like a top level talent but other games things get in his head and you are like what is he doing. He is very emotional player and plays with chip on his shoulder and that works some games and others it really hurts his play.

We have to hit the portal hard this season as well and really look for an experienced phpower forward that does the dirty work to replace Gurley. One guy I like who entered the portal is Jae’lyn Withers out of Louisville, I maybe bit impartial (played not far from me) on that but he fits the mold of what I would be looking for. 6”9 stretch 4 that shot 40% from 3 and can also get rebounds and play solid defense.

Reactions: Con and BamaMoon

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think it is more simple than this. If you watch the tournament, you have to be able to create offense in every area of the half court. This means the mid court as well. Instead of continuing to drive knowing a no call or block was coming, JQ or Sears should have stopped at the FT line for a short jumper. 4 or 5 of these makes in the 2nd half would have totally changed the game in our favor.

We don't have to totally change our philosophy but refs may require you to take those bad shots in a physical game.

Secondly, CNO needs to use timeouts to stop momentum shifts in the game. We did not do this last night and it got us. I would not walk to the locker room in a loss with timeouts in my pocket.

Bottom line tournament basketball is way different than season basketball.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Looking past the disappointment this morning and thinking about the future.

If you've been following the program since CNO arrived, you know his formula for success can be broken down like this:

Offensively: shoot lots of 3's, lots of shots in the paint at the rim (dribble drives, drop passes, lobs, etc.) and points off free throws. He believes in 5 athletic guys who can run the floor and play fast!

Defensively: guard tightly with long, lanky defenders and rebound (in a nutshell).

There's already some talk about the things CNO needs to consider to help push our program over the hump (especially in light of the parity NIL brings and the way the game is officiated by allowing rough, body checking physical play).

Without allowing this to deteriorate into a complaint thread about officiating (someone can start that thread if they want) OR complaints about why we don't shoot midrange jumpers (if you want to know do some research on analytics and you'll get your answer), what adjustments/tweaks would you like to see CNO bring into the program???

I'll offer two suggestions:
1. Different point guard play: Love JQ but he had the propensity to play hero ball and CNO would inexplicably allow him to do so for big stretches. He's a wizard with the ball and against certain teams, he could get to the rim, but he's not the perfect PG for CNO. Neither is Jaydon Bradley, at least at this point in his college career. His minutes sank to almost nothing as it became clear he was an offensive liability with his 3 point shooting. Teams played under the high screen and basically clogged the paint because they knew he wouldn't/couldn't shoot the 3. The next great PG for CNO would be a guy who's a mixture of JQ, who has a really good 3 point shot, and Bradley who's tough and physical and can get to the rim. Too bad Colin Sexton didn't play for CNO cause he'd be ideal.

2. I'd really like to see us be willing to use a 4 or 5 that has some post up ability. There are times when a guy with his back to the rim in the post is needed. Times when the game slows down (like teams try to do to us) and times when the 3 isn't falling (think last month of the season and last night) and times when teams are more physical and take away our dribble drive game. Noah Gurley was probably the only guy on the team with this talent, but he hardly ever got intentional looks down low and I'm not sure he is strong enough, overall, to be dependable at the rim. But a post player that is a real threat can take some pressure off a struggling offense in a game like last night. Drew Timme scored 30+ points with this type of game for the Zags Thursday night playing with his back to the basket in a lot of sets. It's not a part of the modern game (especially for CNO) but old school stuff can still be effective in spots and that's what I'm recommending. Granted, this type of player for CNO would still need other skills, but this type of guy could push our offense over the edge in tough, physical games like the ones we lost this year.

What else have you got?
I think everything you said was spot on, just think if we had a guy like Oscar at Kentucky we probably don't lose a game, also better offer a good nil deal to Charles because team's will try to get him to transfer

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
No big changes other than learning to adjust to how games are called by refs, have an adjustment for physical, rugby teams.
I think it’s going to take a mixture of solid “college” players and a few “one and dones”. A blend of steady battle hardened veterans, and some superstars who can elevate and score at will almost.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think it’s going to take a mixture of solid “college” players and a few “one and dones”. A blend of steady battle hardened veterans, and some superstars who can elevate and score at will almost.
I think that is one thing that is pretty noticeable in the tournament this year- the teams that are playing “above their seeding”are not just deep, but the ones that have blend of seasoned players.

Last edited:

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
The main reason Creighton was in the game today was making 10-ft floaters and fall aways. Like us, they missed both contested and wide open 3’s. Both of us were down 2 with 45 sec left. Same situation, different approaches. So I’m not sure Oats game philosophy needs major tweaking. I will be interested to see what Oats does change. That said, you asked for opinions.

Agree we need an “Oats” PG. Collin and Kira were those. JQ and Bradley are not. Someone with an outside shot, finisher at the rim, and elite passer. Like a taller Mike Nowell. Ok to play hero ball if you’re consistently a hero. I can’t think of the last time one of our superstars delivered consistently in an NCAAT. Typically their shooting or defense disappears, or they crumble under the pressure and become turnover prone. And agree we need a bruising 4 like Timme or Tschiebwe but can still run the floor In transition. As good as the team defense was, need a lock down defender. Nimari was that until his injury, wasn’t the same after. Blame it on rims, overinflated balls, or officiating, but other than Miami no one is really hitting 3’s. If that is half your offensive approach and 80% of your roster is recruited for 3 pt shooting, they better be physical at the rim or an elite passer. Not sure we have that across the board. Having experience over elite freshmen talent seems to be winning the day In this tourney. Still need HS recruits but get the proven talent in the portal. With this year’s success we should be able to get elite transfers now (unless the media has ruined that option with their deplorable coverage).

In game adjustments: call timeouts to stop a run! 23-5 is likely the most egregious lapse in CNO’s career. Also, he’s got to get the team prepared for physical teams. It was frustrating to hear SDSU players say in post-game that Bama players were more intent to complain to the refs about physicality than playing basketball. They should have expected it and known how to play through it. Instead that style led to 5 of our defeats. It was interesting watching Maryland warm up before our game. One of the managers puts foam shields over his arms and basically mugs the players trying to go to the basket. Our warms ups were shooting drills and non-contact guarding. I get you don’t want to risk injury but you play what you practice. Complaining about CBB turning into rugby isn’t going to win those games.

I love CNO. He’s gotten a raw deal with all the press coverage but maybe no one will poach him as a result. He has 2 big hires to make but trust he has connections and the credibility to find good ones. We are in good hands considering where we’ve been for 25 yrs.

Bama basketball feels like playing football with Lucy. We spent over $5K on SECT and NCAAT tickets and travel thinking “this was the year.” We were all in the last 3 weekends. Couldn’t even give our tickets way to todays game and likely won’t get money back on FF tickets because the teams going don’t have big fan bases that travel. Not the teams fault but it really does feel like our program has some kind of curse. This tourney was setting up perfectly for us to win a NC not just a FF. Some equipment manager needs to make sure the Brady bunch tiki doll isn’t in someone’s bag.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Well one option just entered the portal. We need to bring him home. Big stretch 5 with size and can play with back to basket. I know we went after him out of high school and hopefully he sees his game fits well with ours.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
In game adjustments: call timeouts to stop a run! 23-5 is likely the most egregious lapse in CNO’s career.
This is really the only in game coaching knock I can give him. Sitting on 3 timeouts while the other team is swinging the pendulum to the tune of 18 points is coaching malpractice.

Bruce has a tendency to do this from time to time as well, opting to let the team "play through it" rather than break the mo' with a stoppage.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is really the only in game coaching knock I can give him. Sitting on 3 timeouts while the other team is swinging the pendulum to the tune of 18 points is coaching malpractice.

Bruce has a tendency to do this from time to time as well, opting to let the team "play through it" rather than break the mo' with a stoppage.
Our inbounds play under the basket needs some massaging too!

I also didn't understand allowing JQ to continue to play hero ball unsuccessfully against the rim protectors. As mentioned, a TO and some adjustment from that would have been welcomed!

To be fair, I don't know what the adjustments might have been. Miller was obviously not an option to get the rim with his injury. His 3 point shooting became abysmal. Nobody else was hitting them either. Honestly JQ was probably our best option but should have been jacking 3s instead of going to the rim and getting it sent into the stands over and over!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.