The NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite 8 Thread

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Just needed 6-27, 22%, to win, in reality probably 5, 18.5%, would have done it.

IMO, some fans' criticism of Oats' approach are misguided, illustrated by the statement above. If you just need to hit 18 or 22%, how can you blame the strategy? IMO, Brandon's injury was the most significant problem Alabama could not overcome. It's a pity.

OTOH, IMO, Bama nor anyone else is beating UConn. Bama scored some garbage points late to cut a 30 pt deficit to 16. They've been one of the best looking teams I've seen in several years during the Tournament. It would have been daunting with a fully healthy team, essentially impossible with an injured, however slightly, Miller that has surely affected his shooting, IMO. Since his injury in the last SEC T game, a 46%/40% shooter (he was very consistent too) has gone 8-41, 19.5%/3-19 15.8%, IIRC. His shooting was off in all 3 games. The 19 pt game was misleading. He could do other things well enough, but not shooting.
I didn't criticize Coach Oats! I responded to a post where a team hit 10 three's and I said we hit 10 we would've won so before you say I'm criticizing you better look again

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
View attachment 32835

i have less interest in this than if same 4 teams were in a football final 4.

Do we hate everybody equally but miami moreso because they are miami or what.

Man I was so expectiong to see us there.

I watched some of yesterday's games on mute. Less stressful for me, and I don't have to listen to the announcers. There were some close games, but the refs let them play too rough, and then would call fouls at times where it didn't even look like a foul.

I will probably watch the U Conn game, hoping they beat Miami. Don't really care for who wins it all, but I guess I will pull for U Conn. It will be very frustrating if San Diego State wins it all considering they beat Bama.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
And again this is why this is a very poor way to determine the best team in the country. Too many chances for the better teams to have a poor night and there is no best of 3. I'd be much more interested in a smaller set of teams that did really well in the regular season playing a series of best of 3 to determine a national champion. What we get here is a tournament champion, not really a crowning of the best team. Regular season really means nothing, other than winning your conference.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
And again this is why this is a very poor way to determine the best team in the country. Too many chances for the better teams to have a poor night and there is no best of 3. I'd be much more interested in a smaller set of teams that did really well in the regular season playing a series of best of 3 to determine a national champion. What we get here is a tournament champion, not really a crowning of the best team. Regular season really means nothing, other than winning your conference.
I think you can argue it's a glorified exhibition tournament

Viper652

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 20, 2021
Some of the UCONN ball washing is a bit much. Reminds me of Gonzaga 2 years ago...then Baylor ripped them to shreds.

I think Miami wins If they are decent from 3. They actually have more NBA quality talent and a better coach

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Slick ball, tighter defense, and swallowed whistles will lead to lower shooting percentages...
Speaking of swallowed whistles…from what I’ve read, they magically regurgitated one at the end of the SDSU/Creighton game.
Didn’t watch the game, saw the foul and don’t have a problem with the call unless they weren’t calling fouls all game (11 total).
I know the solution but it will never happen:
MBNCSA

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
3 point shooting and the new ball.

I think it a combination of a bunch of things from the ball, the background, tight rims, Physical play being allowed and that all leads to the mental aspect. If you question about the ball or the rims it effects your thought process. I remember in high school as a freshman playing at one high school gym called the dungeon. It was a gym that had two levels on top of each other which was a background I never had seen or played in a game. My Dad had played at this gym like 25 years before me and told me about how it not the nicest place to play and definitely a different background but he said the rims were so loose and soft all you had to do was getting your shots on the rim and they would drop right in. At this point I was just bench guy shooter because I was much smaller and thinner then everyone. Before the game the older players were talking about how terrible the gym was from dead spots on the floor to creaky flooring and then the shooting background how the lighting effects your depth perception. I remember the ride thinking these guys already have negative thoughts about the place before they take the floor but I just kept thinking what my dad said about just getting it up on rim softly. The first quarter the score was 10-6 them and it was ugly basketball. The 2nd quarter started and I checked in. The first possession a lose ball got picked up and our guard got it to me in corner and I took the three it landed on front of rim popped up some and dropped in. I looked up in stands at my dad and see him saying I told you just get it on the rim. I finished night with 6 threes and scored 22 points almost double what I had in any other game that year. We ended up winning 48-44 and everyone else was complaining about court all game. If you think there something off with ball or rims even if you not to think about it, it still will effect your shot or handle.

Reactions: seebell

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I wonder if NCAA mirrors the mentality of the USGA where they make their greens so fast they are virtually unplayable in the spirit of competition and prowess of skill. What you end up with is bad golf not rewarding great shot making.

It's an easy mix for rugby teams to exploit and advance.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
They've got an article on AL.Com that you can get championship game tickets as low as $70. Sounds like some very unattractive matchups to me.
Assuming some of that is because of locals in Houston who scooped them up. Can’t say I’m surprised. But yes that’s crazy low.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.