Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
Couldn't help myself. Owned this game six months ago, traded it in because I thought it was too much game for me. Bought it again this past weekend and am enjoying it thoroughly. Anyone else playing/played this? I have an Elf Thief/Assassin right now. Mainly concentrating on the guild quests. My faction title is up to Prowler. I love playing the stealthy role.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
I play it although I have not gotten drawn into it as much as some. I think one of my problems is I cant find a character that I really like. Right now, I have a Knight but I have always wanted to make some type of caster. Problem with Casters is that they are so weak to start off. Plus if I do start again, I got to go thru those dang sewers again.

The game is great graphically, especially if you install Quarlls texture pack and the weather mod (title slips my mind). I play WoW alot so me being the only character in Oblivion has taken alot of getting used to. I am going to keep on with it though.

I am a member of the Fighters Guild and am also working the Guild quest mainly. Went into the first Gate and got my but kicked. I keep the difficulty level bumped up pretty high. Probably too high cause I have been killed a time or two by a simple rat, haha...

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I purchased it for the 360 when it came out and played it for weeks. Its a pretty fun game. I finally got bored with it after beating most of the quests including the main one. I've started a new character (mage) but I've just made it out of the sewers.

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I thought about purchasing that game.....

Does anyone know the "optimal" system requirements?

I've got a Intel Dual Core Processor @ 2.66 Ghz with 4GB RAM and a Nvidia 8800GTX

The reason I didn't buy the game was b/c I was unsure of wether my processor could handle the frame rate speed,

The rumor is that in order for Oblivion to play on your system properly you would need atleast a Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz

My Question: How does a (single core) Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz compare to a Intel Dual Core @ 2.66 Ghz :conf3:

Can any of you technical junkies answer that question?

Last edited:

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I thought about purchasing that game.....

Does anyone know the "optimal" system requirements?

I've got a Intel Dual Core Processor @ 2.66 Ghz with 4GB RAM and a Nvidia 8800GTX

The reason I didn't buy the game was b/c I was unsure of wether my processor could handle the frame rate speed,

The rumor is that in order for Oblivion to play on your system properly you would need atleast a Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz

My Question: How does a (single core) Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz compare to a Intel Dual Core @ 2.66 Ghz :conf3:

Can any of you technical junkies answer that question?
Exactly what processor do you have? The RAM and video card easily beats the requirements. I can run it decent (E6600 2.4 ghz C2Duo) with only 1 gig and a nVidia 7600 gt.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Intel Core2 Duo processor E6700

I'd love to be able to play that game!
Dude your system will easily run the game. How much do you have in it?

$3500?

Does Oblivion live up to all the hype?? (BTW: I love RPGs)
Yes.... Oblivion is easily one of the best looking games available. It's also one of the best RPG's ever. I've spent countless hours playing it. Mostly on the 360 though.

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
The system was pretty expensive... ($4,460.00)

Actually,

I ordered the system last friday and I've been tracking the FedEx shipment like an obsessive compulsive crack addict! :biggrin2:

Normally I would NEVER drop 5K for a computer system! I currently have a Dell Inspiron laptop that is about 5-6 years old and was purchased for word processing, e-mail and school work.

I had planned on financing a system from GateWay but my grandparents found out about the endeavor, broke into the family discussion, and offered to help pay for the computer system outright.

I paid about $1700.00 from my savings (alot for a college student) and my grandparents covered the rest of the balance.

System Specs:

Intel Core2 Duo processor E6700 (2.66Ghz,1066FSB)
DualCore Technology and 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
1000 Watt Power Supply
320GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW
Sound Blaster X-Fi Card
Additional Hard Drive -- 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Microsoft Work Suite 2006
Roxio Creator Basic
4 Year Comprehensive Warranty
Complete-Care Accidental Damage Protection
Dell Hardware Warranty

Peripherals:
24 inch -- 2407FPW Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel Display
Dell Photo AIO Printer
104-Key Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

The System: (Dell XPS 710 -- Formula Red)

FedEx is supposed to deliver the system by 05/25/07 (Friday) but my keyboard hasn't left the warehouse yet! :mad:

I currently have a laptop and if the system arrives on Friday and the keyboard hasn't left the warehouse yet....can anyone see the problem! :biggrin:

The last time I checked, my computer system was scanned into the FedEx database in Hutchins Texas and shortly after that, they had moved everything to Fort Worth...

I assume that Fort Worth is where they will load everything onto a plane that is headed for Birmingham, and then from B'ham to Tuscaloosa.

Right Now -- I am Beyond Excitment! :biggrin2:

Last edited:

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I can run it decent (E6600 2.4 ghz C2Duo) with only 1 gig and a nVidia 7600 gt.
How many frames per second (fps) do you think someone needs to run Oblivion smoothly? I have heard that 30fps will look really good, but I have also heard that you need atleast 60fps so that when you encounter alot of activity on the screen the frame rate drop will not be noticeable...

On your system are you able to play the game with the Anti-Aliasing (AA) and High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDR) effects turned on?

I've heard that turning all those effects on can really tax your system and produce alot of heat from your components causing some operating systems to crash? Then again, the enormous amount of resources that the game takes away from your system could probably be cut in half by reducing the game's resolution...

Last edited:

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
How many frames per second (fps) do you think someone needs to run Oblivion smoothly? I have heard that 30fps will look really good, but I have also heard that you need atleast 60fps so that when you encounter alot of activity on the screen the frame rate drop will not be noticeable...

On your system are you able to play the game with the Anti-Aliasing (AA) and High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDR) effects turned on?

I've heard that turning all those effects on can really tax your system and produce alot of heat from your components causing some operating systems to crash? Then again, the enormous amount of resources that the game takes away from your system could probably be cut in half by reducing the game's resolution...
You should run it be able to run it with pretty much everything maxed out. I don't think you'll be able to tell if you have some slow down. That system should run it very well.

I've mostly played it on the 360. I've loaded it up and played it a little while on the PC but I don't have HDR selected. I would say I'm getting 20+ fps in the outside environment.

Heat shouldn't be a factor since Dell built it as a gaming system. They should have designed it for plenty of air flow. I'm guessing it's air cooled.

This is Oblivions official forum. http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=3 You can find out pretty much anything here.

BTW.... you need to check out America's Army. It's free to download. It's a pretty good FPS. It's very realistic.

Last edited:

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
You should run it be able to run it with pretty much everything maxed out. I don't think you'll be able to tell if you have some slow down. That system should run it very well.

I've mostly played it on the 360. I've loaded it up and played it a little while on the PC but I don't have HDR selected. I would say I'm getting 20+ fps in the outside environment.

Heat shouldn't be a factor since Dell built it as a gaming system. They should have designed it for plenty of air flow. I'm guessing it's air cooled.

This is Oblivions official forum. http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=3 You can find out pretty much anything here.

BTW.... you need to check out America's Army. It's free to download. It's a pretty good FPS. It's very realistic.

Thanks!

I will check out America's Army,

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
Man your system will run it just fine. I have a 6300 dual core 1.8 with 1G Ram and a 8800 GTS (Nvidia). I run everything at Ultra (from the main screen) and I run with HDR only. There are more graphical sliders I could slide up but I dont. I could go into my videocard settings and force AA while running with HDR but it looks so good like it is. I run constantly around 30-40 outside. One thing is do though is I reboot with only the windows system booting up.

If you do get Oblivion (for the PC everyone) you MUST get the mod "Quarls Texture pack III". It adds a ton more realism to everything. I will try and find a link for it soon.

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
Man your system will run it just fine. I have a 6300 dual core 1.8 with 1G Ram and a 8800 GTS (Nvidia). I run everything at Ultra (from the main screen) and I run with HDR only. There are more graphical sliders I could slide up but I dont. I could go into my videocard settings and force AA while running with HDR but it looks so good like it is.
I think the 8800GTX will run AA and HDR at the same time...

(that might turn out to be a bad thing though) :conf3:

I have also heard that if you "turn off" grass effects it will make the game engine run better...

Last edited:

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Kajhit... with the ability to go invisible for 60 seconds... THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! Get good at jumping and increase your bow skills. Then hook up with some serious light armor... That game is the REASON I bought a 360.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Here is another tip..... Increase your skills.... but dont sleep to level up... The baddies get tougher as you level up.... Keep your level low around 8.... once you know you can level up around 30 times then its allllll game.

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
Kajhit... with the ability to go invisible for 60 seconds... THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! Get good at jumping and increase your bow skills. Then hook up with some serious light armor... That game is the REASON I bought a 360.
Thought about going shadow, but liked the thief/assassin stat bonuses. Actually the female Kajhit with shadow is what the manual recommends.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
I think the 8800GTX will run AA and HDR at the same time...

(that might turn out to be a bad thing though) :conf3:

I have also heard that if you "turn off" grass effects it will make the game engine run better...

From what I understand, it is the game Oblivion itself that will not allow AA and HDR to run at the same time. So what people are doing is within the game enabling HDR and then going into their video card settings (GTS and GTX) and forcing AA. I have not done that yet. One reason, because it looks good already and I am not sure how much more my system can handle and the other reason, I dont know how....:biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.