Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1201609688921583619

This stuff kinda proves that most American have no real ideological underpinnings because most of this movement seems to have been from Warren to Buttigieg. Plainly inexplicable in any sort reasonable understanding of political ideology as they are quite oppositional to one another in many respects. It only makes sense if you accept that American politics is not about ideology but simply identity signifiers and seeming like you are voting for the most smart one (even if what they're selling is horse manure that will undoubtedly hurt your material conditions).

Or it could be that people learned more about both of them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If one liked Warren for months then jumped on the Buttigieg train, I doubt one has learned that much. We've all just learned they are a moron.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is no logical through line on political understanding between these two other than they're highly educated poindexter types who flatter your own sensibilities about your intelligence by supporting them.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This stuff kinda proves that most American have no real ideological underpinnings because most of this movement seems to have been from Warren to Buttigieg. Plainly inexplicable in any sort reasonable understanding of political ideology as they are quite oppositional to one another in many respects. It only makes sense if you accept that American politics is not about ideology but simply identity signifiers and seeming like you are voting for the most smart one (even if what they're selling is horse manure that will undoubtedly hurt your material conditions).
Eh, it's really not about policy for most voters, especially at this stage. Sure, some people get fixated on that, and they're over-represented in nerds like us who watch the debates and talk politics. But if you think a majority of primary-voting Americans are going to read white papers for 10 candidates, you're deluding yourself.

Elizabeth and Pete both give off the, "I'm the smart one who studied in school" vibe. Compared to Biden, they're less interested in maintaining the current democratic structure. Compared to Bernie, they're more pragmatic. I think it makes perfect sense that the ideologues in her camp have retreated to Sanders after the M4A disaster and the personality-oriented supporters have retreated to Pete.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If one liked Warren for months then jumped on the Buttigieg train, I doubt one has learned that much. We've all just learned they are a moron.
It's probably good news for Buttigieg that the BernieBros are attacking him as much as they insult Biden. I guess he's finally made it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1201609688921583619

This stuff kinda proves that most American have no real ideological underpinnings because most of this movement seems to have been from Warren to Buttigieg.

This is why your continual rush to hard left has never made sense to me.

Some of us knew this when we reached age 30 or so.

When Bush picked Quayle in 1988, the big deal was "Quayle is a conservative." As one major GOP consultant said, "His ideology is okay, but it only counts for () much."

Folks use the banners without context, and the reality is that Donald Trump is the most liberal Republican elected President since Teddy Roosevelt...from a party of conned conservatives that keep kowtowing to his insanity.

Plainly inexplicable in any sort reasonable understanding of political ideology as they are quite oppositional to one another in many respects.
The part that has me chuckling is that people think this lack of reason is somehow unique only to Trump voters.
This isn't even a 'both sides' issue, it's an "almost everyone" issue.

If Hillary Clinton had done what Trump has done with Ukraine, two things would be completely different right now:
1) the GOP would be losing their bowels over it
2) the Democrats would be insisting she "had committed no actual crime"

I'm not gonna pass judgement on what posters here would do because I've not seen (m)any of us beholden to any particular politician. Trump is a unique scumbag, but let's not pretend the responses of the parties to Hillary would not be the polar opposite of right now.

It only makes sense if you accept that American politics is not about ideology but simply identity signifiers and seeming like you are voting for the most smart one (even if what they're selling is horse manure that will undoubtedly hurt your material conditions).
American politics has NEVER been about ideology in terms of the names. You vote for Person X and hope that he or she is internally consistent somehow. Look at how often pro-lifers have been voting for the GOP and come up empty.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is something that matters more to the primary/party voters than the general election combined electorate. I don't think he's going to be able to skate this - which I even admit he probably had nothing to do with at all - and a few other issues - that are actually more substantive to his leadership - for much longer. He's getting a closer inspection now that he's solidly positioned in the top group.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it says something that the Harris decline that started earlier this year and the current decline Warren is experiencing both coincide with their weak M4A policy rollouts. As a single issue, strong M4A seems like one of the few policy issues that has any sway with voter preference. My belief is that Sanders has mostly stayed constant in his polling because he hasn't budged on that single issue.

Of course this would make sense as 56% of the electorate supports M4A and, more importantly to these proceedings, 80%+ of the democrat voters. I just don't think anyone but Biden with the implicit Obama endorsement can win the primary without a strong M4A policy.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

It seems noteworthy that support for a public option has been increasing, and for Medicare-for-All has been decreasing, as the public has becomes more familiar with what those terms mean. https://bit.ly/341qKW9

IDK, but I think Dems may have done a real disservice to themselves by convincing themselves that Sanders-style M4A is extremely popular—as opposed to a public Medicare option, which is what many voters originally thought of when they heard the term "M4A" and which IS popular.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If Hillary Clinton had done what Trump has done with Ukraine, two things would be completely different right now:
1) the GOP would be losing their bowels over it
2) the Democrats would be insisting she "had committed no actual crime"
You may be right but I do think the Dems have a better record of reprimanding or rejecting one of their own ranks as opposed to how the GOPers will seemingly defend anything. I don't think Hillary would have done that, and I don't think the Dems would defend her having done it.

When John Edwards' love child surfaced, he was done. Clinton at least finally admitted what he'd been doing with Monica and was not an object of respect in the party until he turned all the way grey and seemed to be a little too old to be chasing skirt any more. It took some effort for him to work back to elder status. Al Franken was shown the door. A Dem congresswoman recently resigned because her ex circulated racy pictures. All that's to say I think there are a few standards one party has that the other side has abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.