Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I was thinking. The driver (I won't name him) had a history of mental illness, was hospitalized several times in his youth. Went to bed with a picture of Adolf Hitler on his nightstand. What should the family have done to get this guy help/prevent him from going to Cville? I've read he had a contentious relationship with his mother, but I would be crushed if one of my children did something like this.
Legitimate question. Did the family try to get him help? It's very difficult to have someone admitted now for an acute emergent mental health problem and next to impossible for a longer stay. It is equally possible the house he grew up in normalized these things or that they were completely appalled by his behaviors even before this happened.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is not a mental health issue to be a racist. Unless he was displaying signs of potential violence towards others, what can anyone do.

Having a picture of Hitler on your night stand is certainly disturbing. I just don’t know what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
It is not a mental health issue to be a racist. Unless he was displaying signs of potential violence towards others, what can anyone do.

Having a picture of Hitler on your night stand is certainly disturbing. I just don’t know what you can do.

I’ll take a stab. You don’t allow your son to have pictures of Hitler on his nightstand. I would venture to say that homes with a “no pictures of Hitler on your nightstand” policy are closely related to homes that don’t produce white supremacist murderers.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’ll take a stab. You don’t allow your son to have pictures of Hitler on his nightstand. I would venture to say that homes with a “no pictures of Hitler on your nightstand” policy are closely related to homes that don’t produce white supremacist murderers.

I mean, whatever happened to the poster on the roof of Lynda Carter in full costume?

The first time I ever saw that, I really thought I was turning into a pillar of salt.

Back to the thread!!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would also ban Hitler photos. But it takes a lot to change the mindset. Sadly, his parents either didn’t try hard enough or just didn’t care.

I had the Farrah Fawcett poster.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Charlottesville continues to take out the trash.
3 sentenced for violence at Virginia white nationalist rally

Benjamin Daley, Michael Miselis and Thomas Gillen each pleaded guilty to conspiracy to riot. The men were sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville by Judge Norman Moon. Daley, 26, of Torrance, California, was sentenced to 37 months in prison. Gillen, 25, of Redondo Beach, California, received a sentence of 33 months. Miselis, 30, of Lawndale, California, received 27 months.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I'm all for free speech. I think anyone should be able to say whatever they want to say.
With that, I also believe that what you say should also have consequences (be they good or bad).
I don't care what group you are in and don't care if your group is considered to be left leaning or right leaning if members of that association do things to create violent conflict and such they ought to be punished in a way to deter future activities of that nature.
Now simply telling someone you don't agree with them does not contitute atributing to violence. Carrying NAZI flags, throwing things into another group of people, etc, do.
You cannot control what is in someone's heart but you can place that heart in a place where it can do a lot less damage to others.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm all for free speech. I think anyone should be able to say whatever they want to say.
With that, I also believe that what you say should also have consequences (be they good or bad).
I don't care what group you are in and don't care if your group is considered to be left leaning or right leaning if members of that association do things to create violent conflict and such they ought to be punished in a way to deter future activities of that nature.
Now simply telling someone you don't agree with them does not contitute atributing to violence. Carrying NAZI flags, throwing things into another group of people, etc, do.
You cannot control what is in someone's heart but you can place that heart in a place where it can do a lot less damage to others.

Not that you're implying this, but I don't think the breaking of a law or laws should be acceptable nor tolerated in response to someone's free speech, no matter how much we disagree with what the person is saying. I'm seeing more and more social acceptance to violence as a response to speech that someone doesn't agree with. Granted, what "you're" saying may be disgusting to me. But that doesn't give me the right to physically assault you either.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not that you're implying this, but I don't think the breaking of a law or laws should be acceptable nor tolerated in response to someone's free speech, no matter how much we disagree with what the person is saying. I'm seeing more and more social acceptance to violence as a response to speech that someone doesn't agree with. Granted, what "you're" saying may be disgusting to me. But that doesn't give me the right to physically assault you either.
Agreed.

I'll add that I argued with a Trump supporter recently over free speech for the media. They want the government to discern truth and lies and punish "lying media". I would presume only when their guy is in charge, though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed.

I'll add that I argued with a Trump supporter recently over free speech for the media. They want the government to discern truth and lies and punish "lying media". I would presume only when their guy is in charge, though.
Of course.

It seems physical violence is people's first choice in even the most menial disagreements. A good friend of mine had a college roommate literally shot and killed this weekend over a parking space disagreement. No drugs involved, no back history, anything. Guy just went nuclear over someone pulling in front of him and "stealing" the parking space he was about to use.

Last edited:

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
You are correct, I was not trying to insinuate that the other side(s) take over and let loose with Vigilante justice. We are still supposed to be a country of laws even though that seems debatable at times.
And you are correct in that people seem to think/believe that getting violent/shouting people down is the only way to settle things and that "if you don't believe what/how I do then you are stupid/ignorant and are no longer relative".

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The basis of my remark to him that I was born into a different world. Gone? No. Greatly diminished? Yes...
Fair enough. I was just putting things into context. Fifty years ago, Bull Connors was directing water cannons at protestors and Connors kept his job. This episode, a rookie cop overreacted to seeing a black man driving in an affluent, mostly white neighborhood, there is dash cam video and the cops conduct will be examined and, if he engaged in misconduct (which seems likely), he will be disciplined, maybe fired.

The degree of racism in the United States is not a digital 1 or 0. It is very much analog.

And I not sure this NJ episode has much to do with Charlottesville.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Fair enough. I was just putting things into context. Fifty years ago, Bull Connors was directing water cannons at protestors and Connors kept his job. This episode, a rookie cop overreacted to seeing a black man driving in an affluent, mostly white neighborhood, there is dash cam video and the cops conduct will be examined and, if he engaged in misconduct (which seems likely), he will be disciplined, maybe fired.

The degree of racism in the United States is not a digital 1 or 0. It is very much analog.

Depressing as they both are, I tend to agree. Too broad a brush was attempted...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

it had nothing to do with Charlottesville but this thread is basically discussing racism and I didn't want to start a new thread

and your response previous to this one makes no sense to me. I was making a point about how racism is still very prevalent today, because it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.