Game Thread: World Series thread: Nationals vs Astros

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It sucks, now I know how Auburn fans feel. I hope the Braves don’t even add a division banner to the stadium for this year, what a pointless division win this became.
When the Marlins stole a title in 97 it was worse to me, but yeah it makes you wonder what might have been. At least the Yankees and Cards didn’t win it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
When the Marlins stole a title in 97 it was worse to me, but yeah it makes you wonder what might have been. At least the Yankees and Cards didn’t win it.
:pDT_ura1: I hate to say it, but that means almost as much as the Braves winning it all. I don't like pulling against teams but I can't help it.

When StL won it with an 83 win team in 2006 it made me sick, then 90 win team in 2011. Never cared for La Russa either.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
:pDT_ura1: I hate to say it, but that means almost as much as the Braves winning it all. I don't like pulling against teams but I can't help it.

When StL won it with an 83 win team in 2006 it made me sick, then 90 win team in 2011. Never cared for La Russa either.
I really didn’t have any issues with the Cards until I lived with a few. Then they have this tendency to luck into a few World Series and take the fun out of it. I usually have loathed the BoSox due to their fans ( yeah I know my Brady avatar) , but I can tell you a few times I’ve cheered for them.

But as far as most hated teams for me (Braves fan)

1. Mets
2. Phillies
3. Cards
4. Yankees
5. Marlins

* Dodgers and BoSox are annoying in terms of how much they are hyped up, and their obnoxious fans. But really they don’t get on my nerves like the other 5

The rest I just want to see good baseball. Yeah I would prefer that someone like the Brewers or Twins won it if the Braves couldn’t over the division rival Nats, but the Nats don’t bother me as much mainly because their fans are mostly non existent and they really built their team to this moment.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am just glad that it is over. I was on a conference call yesterday with a bunch of folks in Humble, Tx and they had already given up on the Stros. They had that feeling, deep in their bones, that the Stros were going to find a way to lose this thing. I bet that the game was pure torture for them. Greinke was unhittable for 6 innings, then the bullpen gave the game away.

That team, for all its great players, showed no resiliency in the series. They get down and they give up, game after game. They looked defeated at the plate last night with the score only 3-2, and it got worse from there.

Nats won because they never quit. Stros lost because they didn't believe in themselves. Head games decided this thing. SMH

And Verlander - 0-6 all time in the WS. That isn't just bad - no one has ever come close to being that bad before. How can you be that dominant all season long and in the earlier rounds of the playoffs only to be so terrible in the WS?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Atlanta Braves/Falcons/UGA ankle-biters: "You want to see another great Atlanta sports moment? Here, watch this.........................."

Houston Astros: "Hold mah beer."

Spent the most miserable decade of my life in Houston one year. The tears of unfathomable sadness...................

"Hey, isn't your gal from down there?"

Yes, but she was originally from some place almost in OK. I'm sure all of her Facebook friends are miserable. Somehow, I doubt she loses any sleep over it.

No, I take more solace in the fact that not only did the Phillies suck this year, but the overpaid prima donna they gave a bazillion bucks to had to watch his old team win without him. Probably no tears of unfathomable sadness, as he is still laughing all the way to the bank.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Atlanta Braves/Falcons/UGA ankle-biters: "You want to see another great Atlanta sports moment? Here, watch this.........................."

Houston Astros: "Hold mah beer."

Spent the most miserable decade of my life in Houston one year. The tears of unfathomable sadness...................

"Hey, isn't your gal from down there?"

Yes, but she was originally from some place almost in OK. I'm sure all of her Facebook friends are miserable. Somehow, I doubt she loses any sleep over it.

No, I take more solace in the fact that not only did the Phillies suck this year, but the overpaid prima donna they gave a bazillion bucks to had to watch his old team win without him. Probably no tears of unfathomable sadness, as he is still laughing all the way to the bank.
I was so excited about this game that I....watched the Rockets (they took 103 shots last night - not a lot of standing around and scratching themselves). I've begun to think that watching baseball is pretty much akin to watching golf with matching uniforms.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was so excited about this game that I....watched the Rockets (they took 103 shots last night - not a lot of standing around and scratching themselves). I've begun to think that watching baseball is pretty much akin to watching golf with matching uniforms.
I honestly only watch the NBA during the playoffs. Ever since MJ, the NBA has fewer committed fanbases and more hero followers. Its why I basically take the team that is playing against Lebron route in choosing teams

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I honestly only watch the NBA during the playoffs. Ever since MJ, the NBA has fewer committed fanbases and more hero followers. Its why I basically take the team that is playing against Lebron route in choosing teams
I flipped over and watched a few minutes of Golden State after the Rockets game. GS is a dumpster fire.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I pay so much attention to the NBA that I didn't consider Atlanta might have a NBA team. If they do............well, they must be so bad they don't rise to level of ever having an Atlanta Sports Moment.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I flipped over and watched a few minutes of Golden State after the Rockets game. GS is a dumpster fire.
I honestly dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing for the sport. Basketball has always needed a team with alot of staying power, and not a bunch of one player teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sports changed when the players gained the right to free agency earlier in their careers. All sports. I remember the Braves teams from the 70s and 80s. Players loved their fans and fans loved their players. Why? Because most players remained with the same franchise through their entire career, or the vast majority of it. They felt like family.

With players hopping from team to team, I no longer pull for players. I don't care if a particular Brave wins an award beyond the fact that he had a season that helped the Braves win games. Why? Those great seasons are going to be leveraged to help him go elsewhere in a few years. He doesn't care about the Braves at all. He might care about his team mates, but not the franchise. As soon as a better deal comes along, he is gone.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't hold this against the players. But, as a fan, it means that I really don't care about players anymore - just the franchise.

This applies to all professional sports.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sports changed when the players gained the right to free agency earlier in their careers. All sports. I remember the Braves teams from the 70s and 80s. Players loved their fans and fans loved their players. Why? Because most players remained with the same franchise through their entire career, or the vast majority of it. They felt like family.

With players hopping from team to team, I no longer pull for players. I don't care if a particular Brave wins an award beyond the fact that he had a season that helped the Braves win games. Why? Those great seasons are going to be leveraged to help him go elsewhere in a few years. He doesn't care about the Braves at all. He might care about his team mates, but not the franchise. As soon as a better deal comes along, he is gone.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't hold this against the players. But, as a fan, it means that I really don't care about players anymore - just the franchise.

This applies to all professional sports.
I really stopped following basketball altogether when Lebron started to be 90% of what anyone cared about and talked about in basketball. Ive given up following the regular season because all of the talking points are about Lebron, and the team that will oppose him in the championship. I miss the days of drafting teams to make runs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really stopped following basketball altogether when Lebron started to be 90% of what anyone cared about and talked about in basketball. Ive given up following the regular season because all of the talking points are about Lebron, and the team that will oppose him in the championship. I miss the days of drafting teams to make runs.
I don't watch NHL or NBA regular season games, but for a different reason. Any team with a .500 record makes the playoffs, and some worse. When half the league makes the playoffs, the regular season is meaningless. You know in week 3 who will be in the playoffs.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't watch NHL or NBA regular season games, but for a different reason. Any team with a .500 record makes the playoffs, and some worse. When half the league makes the playoffs, the regular season is meaningless. You know in week 3 who will be in the playoffs.
Pretty much. Also divisions actually matter in NFL and mlb

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.