JessN: Michigan wrap-up: Second-half adjustments, Jones’ arm the keys to big win

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Michigan wrap-up: Second-half adjustments, Jones’ arm the keys to big win
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

If you cheer for a team from the state of Michigan and you find yourself playing Alabama in Orlando in January, save yourself the travel costs and stay home for New Year’s Day.

Following a disappointing 2010 season, Alabama found itself playing Michigan State – if “playing” could be considered an accurate description of events; it was more like a systematic dismantling of the Spartan football program. Following a difficult and, again, disappointing 2019 season, Alabama got Michigan State’s hated in-state rival, Michigan, in the same venue.

The results weren’t really all that different.

Continue Reading

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks, Jess. Nice write up.

I wondered what happened to Perine. I thought Bernier played because he was a senior in his last game, but if the coaches said Perine was unavailable, I wonder the reason why. I hope whatever it is, that Perine is back next year. He seems like he can be a very good punter with off season work. In fact, I wonder if Skyler DeLong will even be on the team next year?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
There is no such thing as a meaningless game at Alabama. I had seen a lot of people call this game 'meaningless' going into it, and maybe that's what you say if you think you might lose it, but I have always thought that winning the bowl was one of the most important games of the year, because you are nine months away from the chance to wipe that memory away if you do lose. Winning this game, especially as complete as the team looked in the second half, gives us a very satisfying memory going into the finish of the recruiting year, the spring, and summer camp before suiting up for Southern Cal in Dallas. I for one am a very happy camper right now, and if we had continued to play the way we did in the first half, that would not be the case. The 'meaning' of winning the Citrus Bowl, if you need one, is that we are still Alabama and we can play at a level that Alabama football is expected to play (in the second half). Let anyone who was ready to throw dirt on our grave as a national power take note.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The whole thing with Najee is one of the reasons I hate how juniors leave early. Don't get me wrong, I want them to get paid. I'm just referring to how with so many guys you barely get glimpses of their potential before they are gone. He would be a Heisman candidate next year. The guy had an outstanding season, really one of the top 5 RB seasons of all time at Alabama when you look at the numbers, and the vast bulk of it was over the 2nd half of the year. So that's all we'll get of Najee at Alabama and its a shame. I do wish him the absolute best in the NFL and beyond.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The whole thing with Najee is one of the reasons I hate how juniors leave early. Don't get me wrong, I want them to get paid. I'm just referring to how with so many guys you barely get glimpses of their potential before they are gone. He would be a Heisman candidate next year. The guy had an outstanding season, really one of the top 5 RB seasons of all time at Alabama when you look at the numbers, and the vast bulk of it was over the 2nd half of the year. So that's all we'll get of Najee at Alabama and its a shame. I do wish him the absolute best in the NFL and beyond.
What is happening with RBs specifically is more about how the NFL has devalued the position. RBs take longer to develop at P5 programs, and by the time they are developed (usually in their junior season), they really have to jump to the NFL. Why? Because staying for their senior season won't elevate their draft position enough to overcome the lost wages from the year lost.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
It does seem we only get glimpses of some. It seems like yesterday when Jeudy, Smitty, and Ruggs were true freshmen. And Ruggs's first 5 catches were for touchdowns, and Smitty caught the 2nd and 26 pass. And Najee was 3rd or 4th string. And I admit I'm just being selfish, when I say they all should stay another year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Undisclosed, unmentioned non-participation is odd. I’m wondering if there was an internal rules violation that cost Ty Perine the bowl game?

Anyway, the change from base to nickel in the 2nd half is part of the problem I have with what we do on defense in general. Saban is too damn stuck on trying to be in the right personnel and play call. Anyone with sense could’ve told you with our injuries on the DL and inexperience at LB that playing base after practically not using it all season was likely to be a bad plan.

Look at what Clemson did this season. Yeah, they wanna line up in a base 4-man front defense and feint more aggressive blitzes than they actually bring to work one-on-ones for their elite down linemen. They didn’t have the personnel for that in 2019 so they went to playing odd front nickel and dime with much more aggressive blitzing plans.They recognized their personnel limitations and crafted a scheme to better flex where their talent lies on the defensive roster.

This is what I don’t get about the Saban defensive structure under the modern offensive slanted ruleset. You’re just not going to be in a perfect defense every play. Just get your best defenders out there and ask them to step up. That’s a lot better than putting a 3rd string NT you didn’t trust to play much all season on the field for a great deal of the 1st half. Or asking two freshmen ILBs to execute a defense they probably didn’t rep much all season.

This is why I laughed when GMac tried to argue this was Saban and his staff’s best coaching job. I don’t even know if what was done on defense this year was adequate even considering the injuries. A lot of what was decided on by the staff seemed to exacerbate the problems.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Undisclosed, unmentioned non-participation is odd. I’m wondering if there was an internal rules violation that cost Ty Perine the bowl game?

Anyway, the change from base to nickel in the 2nd half is part of the problem I have with what we do on defense in general. Saban is too damn stuck on trying to be in the right personnel and play call. Anyone with sense could’ve told you with our injuries on the DL and inexperience at LB that playing base after practically not using it all season was likely to be a bad plan.

Look at what Clemson did this season. Yeah, they wanna line up in a base 4-man front defense and feint more aggressive blitzes than they actually bring to work one-on-ones for their elite down linemen. They didn’t have the personnel for that in 2019 so they went to playing odd front nickel and dime with much more aggressive blitzing plans.They recognized their personnel limitations and crafted a scheme to better flex where their talent lies on the defensive roster.

This is what I don’t get about the Saban defensive structure under the modern offensive slanted ruleset. You’re just not going to be in a perfect defense every play. Just get your best defenders out there and ask them to step up. That’s a lot better than putting a 3rd string NT you didn’t trust to play much all season on the field for a great deal of the 1st half. Or asking two freshmen ILBs to execute a defense they probably didn’t rep much all season.

This is why I laughed when GMac tried to argue this was Saban and his staff’s best coaching job. I don’t even know if what was done on defense this year was adequate even considering the injuries. A lot of what was decided on by the staff seemed to exacerbate the problems.
Lots of rumor that Perine pulled a hamstring either late in bowl prep or in warm-ups. I haven't heard anything suggesting it's disciplinary yet.

I watched a bit of the Wisconsin-Oregon game and Wisconsin was in a 4-4 look on some downs. I never thought I'd see that defense again outside of a game against a service academy.

I can understand why we'd want to be in base in theory because everyone including me was expecting Michigan to put those two tight ends out there and try to chew us up, which they were able to do in the first half even without having to sacrifice a WR for a second TE. My issue with us in base over the years is it puts the OLBs in roles they don't play much anymore. Or, sometimes it brings an inferior player onto the field simply because you need the role. Take a look at how Chris Allen played first half versus second half. He was tentative out of the gate but got more comfortable when we got into nickel because we practice that more during the year. The big issue for Bama in nickel this year is that it doesn't work if Mayden/Carter/McKinney have a bad day, particularly Mayden, who is the run-support safety. Fortunately, Michigan was speed-starved in the WR corps so we didn't have the matchup issues on slot receivers like we do in the SEC where everyone has four burners nowadays.

The other thing is I would never play base much against Patterson because he's so mobile, sooner or later he's going to tempt his OC into opening things up and trying to create scrambling opportunities. No one really loves to see a dual-threat guy on the other side, but Alabama has more trouble than most defending the scramble sometimes because of our coverage schemes. If the first guy through doesn't finish the QB off, it's basically an automatic 15 yards.

I also thought having Raekwon Davis play NT was inspired, as we got away from that at times this year. It doesn't make any sense, really, but I liked him at NT and Mathis at DT/E better than the reverse. As soon as he got over the center, they really started to struggle containing him and Barmore when they were coming together. And that opened up opportunities for Young on the other side because they had to leave him to one blocker so they could double the two better players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Totally agree with the Davis move. Especially once DJ Dale went down. Davis just never developed into a threat as a pass rusher as an end. He actually creased the defense some at NT.

Reactions: JessN and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure why we don't call ourselves a base Nickel defense now anyway. We're in the traditional 3/4 about 15% of the time and have been for years.
It is still the base from which the other sets work, so it is called the base defense. But I get your point.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is probably a fair point. We haven’t even ran it very well with more experienced units the last few years but it wasn’t quite as bad as the Citrus Bowl showing. When you just never rep the defense once you get into the regular season and only use personnel groups to defend the opponent, the knowledge of the roles disappears quickly.

We’re practically a 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 defense where the 1 or 2 outside backers on the field play with a hand in the dirt.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I understand what you are saying. One of my biggest, if not the biggest disappointment, was Derrick Henry leaving a year early. I understand why he did, and I don't blame him one iota. But I still wish I could have seen that Monster play one more season for the Tide.

Reactions: B1GTide

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Totally agree with the Davis move. Especially once DJ Dale went down. Davis just never developed into a threat as a pass rusher as an end. He actually creased the defense some at NT.
I'd go so far as to say that Davis should have been the nose all year.

I didn't think Dale was very effective (or at least, non consistent) after about Week 6. Then he got hurt and we spent the rest of the regular season trying to make Mathis/Musika/Barmore work at nose.

Barmore is best when he's playing nose in 3rd-and-long (where he can just forget the RB exists) and otherwise, he needs to come from the weakside. He and the JLB lined up together over left tackle is great for inducing laughs. It automatically removes the wheel route because the RB *has* to stay in to help block.

Mathis is built like a nose but seems to play better when he gets out of the trash a bit. Davis at nose was revelatory. The guy I really want to see next year at nose (in addition to Dale) is Sopsher. He had conditioning issues when he showed up but once he goes through an offseason program I think he's going to dominate people.

On the flip side, I'd like to see less of Eboigbe unless something changes. Look at his numbers versus Young's; adjusted for snap totals Young was about 3x as effective.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.