Where did the term "Natty" come from?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Can't stand it, and it's being used more and more.
Dabo....

I HATE it..... it's so trashy and bumpkin sounding. It's more commonly used as slang for cheap gas station Natural Lite Beer.

If I were Admin it would be a month's suspension for using it as a substitution for National Championship.

If you wan't to use something less formal just say 'NC' for shorthand.

Don't be a Dabo....Don't be a Bumpkin....

We have to fight this stereotype as it is without throwing more fuel on the fire.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Some people, especially Oregon fans say it started in 2010 with Oregon CB Cliff Harris saying it before they played Auburn. Other schools might claim an earlier use. No way to really know for sure. Here's a video of Harris saying it in 2010 at the 0:53 mark of the video:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is generally agreed - and not just by Oregon fans - that Cliff Harris coined the term, which was a common thing he did (he also referred to himself as the cheese on top of the nachos).

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It is generally agreed - and not just by Oregon fans - that Cliff Harris coined the term, which was a common thing he did (he also referred to himself as the cheese on top of the nachos).
But nobody cares about Oregon or watches the Pac-12 and it's not why it entered into popular lexicon.

It was Dabo using it postgame after beating us for the 2016 Title that caused it to spread throughout CFB like a Hillbilly STD.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Definition:

Natty, Lite, or “Natty Lite” - Term often used to describe a product sold in stores pretending to be beer. Taste best described as fermented horse urine; term also popularized by the HC of Clemson, which ironically best describes the so called dynasty as purported from the Palmetto State.” update: now “dynasty lite”, tastes watered down, less filling.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Dabo....

I HATE it..... it's so trashy and bumpkin sounding. It's more commonly used as slang for cheap gas station Natural Lite Beer.

If I were Admin it would be a month's suspension for using it as a substitution for National Championship.

If you wan't to use something less formal just say 'NC' for shorthand.

Don't be a Dabo....Don't be a Bumpkin....

We have to fight this stereotype as it is without throwing more fuel on the fire.
It’s better than the “Favor of God”. That’ll be sand in my drawers forever

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.