Liking What Oats Is Showing

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I was terrified that Reese was lost for the year with the way he went down and grabbed the knee. I was pretty shocked when he came back out of the locker room and then went back in the game. I thought it was his ACL. I was so glad to see him back in there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So far I’m not impressed. Looks to me like he’s already had a few choke jobs. That being said I’m willing to give him four years. When it comes to Bama hoops, im a realist.
I was going to reply, but "Dayhiker" said it already...

This is the quintessential Bama basketball post. Doesn't watch much basketball, but posts about how the first year coach isn't doing that good mere minutes after the final horn sounds on a 19 point win over your #4 ranked instate rival.
If people can't tell a difference in this team/coach right now they know NOTHING about basketball.

I'm excited about the future!!!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If people can't tell a difference in this team/coach right now they know NOTHING about basketball.

I'm excited about the future!!!
I'll admit that I know very little about basketball, it's just not one of my favorite sports. I'm a baseball guy first (MLB mostly), football second. I don't watch the NBA at all, not even the playoffs. I find it boring. I enjoy college ball more but really only watch other teams during March madness. I watch Bama as often as I can. I know the basic rules but, have no real knowledge of play styles, schemes and play calls.

I say all that to say that even with my little knowledge, even I see a difference in this team and Oates. It's exciting again and I can't wait to see what happens next.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I tuned into the game a few minutes late I think the score was 11 -13. at no point during that game did it feel like Auburn had any control. I haven't watched a game in many years feeling that kind of confidence and we've won plenty of games. Oats has brought an edge to the team and the program, I think he is exactly what we have needed to become a more successful basketball program!

Reactions: Islander

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Another thing CNO is doing that I don't remember happening in several years...we are improving during the season. With our last couple of coaches it seems we didn't see improvement during the year. But right now, at the beginning of conference play we are trending up (even the 2 games we lost we played well enough to win). I think this is what John Calipari was talking about, and he knows what he's talking about. He sees how we are improving and will give just about anybody a tough out if we play at that level of intensity. By SEC tourney time, if this continues, NOBODY will want to see us in their bracket.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I posted this in the game thread but bears repeating. We are 7-3 in the last 10 games. The 3 losses are on the road by a total of 17 points.
Very true and we certainly had a chance to beat Penn State and even though they blew a big lead in Gainesville (which should not happen) the refs certainly helped the Gators out when they did start coming back. I still say Blackshear should have left the gym that afternoon in cuffs for assault and they just flat refused to call that 5th foul on him. But to your point anybody can see they are improving.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Another thing CNO is doing that I don't remember happening in several years...we are improving during the season. With our last couple of coaches it seems we didn't see improvement during the year. But right now, at the beginning of conference play we are trending up (even the 2 games we lost we played well enough to win). I think this is what John Calipari was talking about, and he knows what he's talking about. He sees how we are improving and will give just about anybody a tough out if we play at that level of intensity. By SEC tourney time, if this continues, NOBODY will want to see us in their bracket.
I saw several Bama teams regress/fall apart down the stretch. Last night my gut kept wondering when the letdown would come. I was so happy to see them get stronger as the game progressed into the 2nd half.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I was terrified that Reese was lost for the year with the way he went down and grabbed the knee. I was pretty shocked when he came back out of the locker room and then went back in the game. I thought it was his ACL. I was so glad to see him back in there.
On the replay it looked like he and the Auburn guy hit knees. When he was going back to the locker it looked like he said “I’m ok”.

Reactions: TiderJack

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It feels like we might have the right guy on the bench. We're playing well with a thin roster.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So far I’m not impressed. Looks to me like he’s already had a few choke jobs. That being said I’m willing to give him four years. When it comes to Bama hoops, im a realist.
Really? You do understand that the style of play that CNO has implemented is very different than we had under CAJ plus he had to install a winning attitude in these kids that was non-existent under CAJ. CNO has done wonders with this team in a short time with players he did not recruit. I've been very impressed with his roster management and offseason workout regimen. Both are light years ahead of CAJ who didn't have a clue about either. After getting the roster set up the best he could under the circumstances he then had 3 huge setbacks, Rojas and Gary were both injured and out for the season, and then then NCAA denied JQ's waiver to play immediately. I think Rojas would have been a day 1 starter on this team with JQ getting plenty of playing time as perhaps Gary would have as well. We have a veteran team but none of them have played in a system like this until now so they are still learning how to play the way CNO wants them to play. Early on there were just flashes of what was to come but we are starting to see what CNO is trying to do and I like what I see.

Even more important than the style of play being different is the fact that this team did not know how to win. They all seem to be good kids who play hard but there is a difference in playing hard and knowing how to win at this level. CAJ had no clue how to instill that into his players. He could recruit good players and get them to win some games that we might not have won in the past but we also lost some games that we shouldn't have lost just because the players would obviously lose focus during the season. They would be on the brink of a NCAA tourney bid each year and would collapse. Every year. The only NCAA bid we received was when Colin Sexton willed us to victory in the SEC tourney. Without his miraculous play we would not have made the big dance that year with a team that had more than enough talent to have made it in easily. Colin had that built-in drive to succeed and win that few players have. Most have to learn how to push through and win when the chips are down and that comes down to coaching. Sometimes other players can inspire that to come out in other players in spite of the coaches. I believe that is what happened with the 1999 Bama football team. Shaun Alexander and a few other senior leaders were such great leaders they inspired the team as a whole but once they were gone the shortcomings in the coaching staff was on full display. I believe CNO started instilling the inner toughness into the team with the offseason program and that is starting to pay dividends now. The players are believing in themselves and they believe in each other. You can just see it with the way they play.

We still have areas of improvement. The lightbulb came on around game 5 for Petty and it appears to be coming on for Jones. Jones isn't the shooter that Petty is but he can score in other ways. Kira has all kinds of potential and is a very good player but not a great point guard. I think his ceiling is higher than Colin's but he isn't as advanced at this stage of his career. I'm sure Colin played with and against a higher level of players than Kira coming out of high school. Reese is flourishing under CNO and I think he will get better and better as he continues to learn his role and as the players around him learn how to use his talents. Reese is a bit limited with his lack of athletic ability but I see him getting everything out of himself that he possibly can. Shackelford is a star waiting to happen. He just needs to learn how to play within himself and with his teammates. Once he figures it out (it takes time) he's going to be fun to watch. Forbes has improved and you can see that he has ability and he will also take some time to develop but will be a valuable contributor at some point. Galin and Davis are role players that quite frankly are playing more out of necessity than ability. I'm not knocking either guy but they just don't have the athletic ability needed to play in CNO's system. Both can do some good things and have had and will have more good moments in the future. I just don't expect either of them to ever be more than serviceable role players but every team needs those guys. Hawkins is a disappointment thus far but we knew he was a very raw prospect that will need another year to get his feet wet. Hopefully next year we will start to see what he can do. If things start to click with Kira, Petty, Jones, and Reese at the same time, then this team could be dangerous at the end of the year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Finally getting a chance to watch the Bama/Auburn game. You know, if we would have come out with a hot hand from 3 land we would have blown them out of the gym in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Something to watch in the next few recruiting cycles, but when Oats gets some more pure shooters (which right now we are limited on now) his style of play will get even more explosive. My understanding is Oats wants all 5 players on the court to be a threat from the 3 point line. When this happens...WOW.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Really? You do understand that the style of play that CNO has implemented is very different than we had under CAJ plus he had to install a winning attitude in these kids that was non-existent under CAJ. CNO has done wonders with this team in a short time with players he did not recruit. I've been very impressed with his roster management and offseason workout regimen. Both are light years ahead of CAJ who didn't have a clue about either. After getting the roster set up the best he could under the circumstances he then had 3 huge setbacks, Rojas and Gary were both injured and out for the season, and then then NCAA denied JQ's waiver to play immediately. I think Rojas would have been a day 1 starter on this team with JQ getting plenty of playing time as perhaps Gary would have as well. We have a veteran team but none of them have played in a system like this until now so they are still learning how to play the way CNO wants them to play. Early on there were just flashes of what was to come but we are starting to see what CNO is trying to do and I like what I see.

Even more important than the style of play being different is the fact that this team did not know how to win. They all seem to be good kids who play hard but there is a difference in playing hard and knowing how to win at this level. CAJ had no clue how to instill that into his players. He could recruit good players and get them to win some games that we might not have won in the past but we also lost some games that we shouldn't have lost just because the players would obviously lose focus during the season. They would be on the brink of a NCAA tourney bid each year and would collapse. Every year. The only NCAA bid we received was when Colin Sexton willed us to victory in the SEC tourney. Without his miraculous play we would not have made the big dance that year with a team that had more than enough talent to have made it in easily. Colin had that built-in drive to succeed and win that few players have. Most have to learn how to push through and win when the chips are down and that comes down to coaching. Sometimes other players can inspire that to come out in other players in spite of the coaches. I believe that is what happened with the 1999 Bama football team. Shaun Alexander and a few other senior leaders were such great leaders they inspired the team as a whole but once they were gone the shortcomings in the coaching staff was on full display. I believe CNO started instilling the inner toughness into the team with the offseason program and that is starting to pay dividends now. The players are believing in themselves and they believe in each other. You can just see it with the way they play.

We still have areas of improvement. The lightbulb came on around game 5 for Petty and it appears to be coming on for Jones. Jones isn't the shooter that Petty is but he can score in other ways. Kira has all kinds of potential and is a very good player but not a great point guard. I think his ceiling is higher than Colin's but he isn't as advanced at this stage of his career. I'm sure Colin played with and against a higher level of players than Kira coming out of high school. Reese is flourishing under CNO and I think he will get better and better as he continues to learn his role and as the players around him learn how to use his talents. Reese is a bit limited with his lack of athletic ability but I see him getting everything out of himself that he possibly can. Shackelford is a star waiting to happen. He just needs to learn how to play within himself and with his teammates. Once he figures it out (it takes time) he's going to be fun to watch. Forbes has improved and you can see that he has ability and he will also take some time to develop but will be a valuable contributor at some point. Galin and Davis are role players that quite frankly are playing more out of necessity than ability. I'm not knocking either guy but they just don't have the athletic ability needed to play in CNO's system. Both can do some good things and have had and will have more good moments in the future. I just don't expect either of them to ever be more than serviceable role players but every team needs those guys. Hawkins is a disappointment thus far but we knew he was a very raw prospect that will need another year to get his feet wet. Hopefully next year we will start to see what he can do. If things start to click with Kira, Petty, Jones, and Reese at the same time, then this team could be dangerous at the end of the year.
Well said also may I add we just beat 4th ranked team in the country. I believe will have strong finish by SECT time.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Excellent points.

I particularly like one that you and a previous poster pointed out — we’re getting unmistakably better as the season goes along.

A blind man could see that this is a different team.....mentally tough and always giving it everything they have. We don’t yet have the necessary inside talent on the floor, and that’s going to cost us some games. It may be on the team, but with Rojas, Gary and Quinnerly all not options this year, we’ll have to wait to see next year.

If you’ve watched Alabama basketball for the last several years (excruciating, I know), and compared it to this year, I don’t know how you can’t be impressed.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll admit that I know very little about basketball, it's just not one of my favorite sports. I'm a baseball guy first (MLB mostly), football second. I don't watch the NBA at all, not even the playoffs. I find it boring. I enjoy college ball more but really only watch other teams during March madness. I watch Bama as often as I can. I know the basic rules but, have no real knowledge of play styles, schemes and play calls.

I say all that to say that even with my little knowledge, even I see a difference in this team and Oates. It's exciting again and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Basketball is the only sport I was halfway decent at actually playing, though I didn't play for the school past junior high. Just pick up games. I love football more, but basketball has always been my second favorite sport to watch and analyze. Until the NBA turned into the joke it has become in the post-Jordan era. I'm a child of the 90s, so I'm biased, I guess. Anyway, basketball is where I could truly afford to really support the University, so I was going to a lot of games in the early 2000s. But then Gottfried fell off the face of the earth and we've had the last 15 years of futility through multiple coaches. I admit I've become quite depressed about the sport.

I truly hope that what we are seeing are the early signs of Alabama truly turning around and actually living up to its potential as a program under Coach Oats. I want to watch and enjoy the game again. I love what I'm reading here lately.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.