Reminder From Saban….Injuries, Player Impact and Statements From Fans

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not sure where the top end for this set of guys could have been as a defense but I don't believe this coaching staff got that out of them. I am thankful for how tough C Harris and S Lee are, I mean these guys played an entire SEC season with the bulls eye directly on their numbers without having even gone though an off season with Cochran. They clearly didn't know what they were doing but nobody should question their toughness. Bottom line is this, our defense is going in the wrong direction and if we have a third straight season of not being able to stop any good offense then some conversations need to be had.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not sure where the top end for this set of guys could have been as a defense but I don't believe this coaching staff got that out of them. I am thankful for how tough C Harris and S Lee are, I mean these guys played an entire SEC season with the bulls eye directly on their numbers without having even gone though an off season with Cochran. They clearly didn't know what they were doing but nobody should question their toughness. Bottom line is this, our defense is going in the wrong direction and if we have a third straight season of not being able to stop any good offense then some conversations need to be had.
Ranked 20th in Team defense this year with how many backups ?

4? 5? 6? At times?

🤦‍♂️

Now take away the officiating foolishness in the Barn game and 1st half meltdown and officiating vs LSU and they are likely a top 10 defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I mostly agree that we need to see drastic improvement from what we saw in 2019. However, I also think we need to come to the realization of "some things" if we're going to continue running a pass happy offense AND playing more teams than ever that are running pass happy schemes.

If you go back to beginning of Saban's tenure here at Alabama and actually look at the games we played each year. Any time we played a team that legitimately had a potent offense, they put points and yardage on us. However, the more "traditional" offenses we suffocated to the tune of not allowing over 10-12 pts and very few total yards. So what do we mean when we say we need to "stop good offenses"? Keep them under 21 pts and 350 total yards?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I mostly agree that we need to see drastic improvement from what we saw in 2019. However, I also think we need to come to the realization of "some things" if we're going to continue running a pass happy offense AND playing more teams than ever that are running pass happy schemes.

If you go back to beginning of Saban's tenure here at Alabama and actually look at the games we played each year. Any time we played a team that legitimately had a potent offense, they put points and yardage on us. However, the more "traditional" offenses we suffocated to the tune of not allowing over 10-12 pts and very few total yards. So what do we mean when we say we need to "stop good offenses"? Keep them under 21 pts and 350 total yards?
That’s because we lose the 50/50 battles about half the time. We struggled most with big receivers. Mike Evans, Higgins, those big monsters from Ole Miss. but we usually could outscore them and if we had Foster/Mosley types at LB we could make more than enough plays to withstand the push

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
That’s because we lose the 50/50 battles about half the time. We struggled most with big receivers. Mike Evans, Higgins, those big monsters from Ole Miss. but we usually could outscore them and if we had Foster/Mosley types at LB we could make more than enough plays to withstand the push
In addition to what you said which is true our red zone defense has gone from possibly the best three years ago to the point of pretty much being money in the bank if they cross the 30. We always gave up yardage between the 20's but we forced field goal attempts at best. We also forced very few turnovers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In addition to what you said which is true our red zone defense has gone from possibly the best three years ago to the point of pretty much being money in the bank if they cross the 30. We always gave up yardage between the 20's but we forced field goal attempts at best. We also forced very few turnovers.
Our defense resembled a walking MASH unit last year. Why don't you hold off till we see what they can do next season?

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Our defense resembled a walking MASH unit last year. Why don't you hold off till we see what they can do next season?
I agree.... After seeing what these true freshmen were able to do last season..... I can't WAIT to see what the D will be able to do next season. CERTAINLY these guys will be much better next year... PLUS... with incoming help, the D won't be a weak spot next season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I wonder if they might go the other way with Shane -- let Cochran put 15-20 pounds of good weight on him and put his hand on the ground. Might not be quite tall enough for the prototypical DT. But whereas he's a relatively slow LB, with vulnerabilities in pass coverage, he'd be a fast DL, even with the extra weight, and greatly reduced coverage responsibilities.

You have to like his motor, and I promise you he's a lot wiser today than he was this time last year.

Reactions: The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder if they might go the other way with Shane -- let Cochran put 15-20 pounds of good weight on him and put his hand on the ground. Might not be quite tall enough for the prototypical DT. But whereas he's a relatively slow LB, with vulnerabilities in pass coverage, he'd be a fast DL, even with the extra weight, and greatly reduced coverage responsibilities.

You have to like his motor, and I promise you he's a lot wiser today than he was this time last year.
at 6'0", not sure he is tall enough to add that much weight and still be a functional athlete.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't Mizzou have a run of a couple undersized guys that absolutely killed it at the collegiate level? (Michael Sam was one, right?)
Yeah, but they were all 2-3 inches taller than Lee. I am not even sure that Lee is 6 feet tall.

• Thank You

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
It is amazing how much faster one gets when he's been in the program a minute...reacting not thinking. Shane can be all SEC.
I agree, I don't see lee ever being a 1st round draft pick or possibly not a draft pick at all but he can get significantly faster if he can read the defense and get moving quicker. Case in point Will Lowery, he was a walkon from Hoover I believe and was never technically fast but because he read the D and got a head start nobody ever got the jump on him.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I just have to say this: IF we have Dylan Moses & Tua both healthy -- and IF Mack Wilson had returned for one more year -- we would be 2020 SEC and CFB Champions, Tua would have won the Heisman Trophy and would have been the 1st pick in the draft. Moses & Wilson would both have been 1st round draft picks...and we, not LSU would have set the record for draft picks, etc.

That's just how close we were last year...and we called it a down year.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Growing pains last year will pay high dividends this year (if we get to play). Also, the talent that is incoming, combined with new training practices, will create healthy competition that may shuffle some players. It's going to be fun to watch.

• Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.