News Article: NCAA guidelines allowing student-athletes to be compensated for name, image, likeness

Do you agree that players should be compensated for name, image, likeness?

• Yes, and they should get whatever compensation possible

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Yes, but monitoring this will be a nightmare

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No, they shouldn't be compensated beyond what already is happening

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No, because it's impossible to monitor

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yeah, someone like Tua could say, "Hey guys. This is Tua Tagovailoa from the University of Alabama." But he couldn't wear an Alabama uniform or use Alabama trademarks in the ad. Seems like a reasonable compromise.
I don't disagree. My point is that there will be some push and pull regarding the mere mention of the name since the schools have pre-existing contracts and reputations to consider.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't disagree. My point is that there will be some push and pull regarding the mere mention of the name since the schools have pre-existing contracts and reputations to consider.
Imagine UA's reaction to:
"Hi, I'm So-and-So from the University of Alabama and my favorite gentleman's club is ________"

There will have to be some limits.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I know the football I once knew is gone forever. I’ve sort of come to grips with the new reality of college football. Like so many great things we enjoy in life there comes a time when changes come and it is no longer what it use to be. For me one of those things it college football. I am grateful for the friends I’ve made here on this site...very grateful indeed.

Reactions: B1GTide

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I don't think college players should get anything more than what they get now...or supposed to get! ;) But I also think kids who have no desire for a college degree should have a way to go straight from high school to some kind of developmental league much like baseball and be paid there. Pro farm teams or something.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But I also think kids who have no desire for a college degree should have a way to go straight from high school to some kind of developmental league much like baseball and be paid there. Pro farm teams or something.
But there in is the problem. The NFL and NBA look at college as that league. College baseball is only popular for only week in a year.

Reactions: MOAN

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
My 8 year old son has Madden 20 on PS 4 and he found a way to play college football games with Madden 20. He found this out by going on YouTube and seeing blogs of experts on how to do this. I was watching him do this the other day and he was able to play a couple of games. I don’t think Alabama was a choice, but he was able to play LSU, Clemson, USC, and Oklahoma. It looked like they had the rosters from the 2018 season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That very well could make a difference for the second-tier player or lineman who might not have the name recognition of the top level.

But for someone like Tua or any number of others, they don’t have to name the school — everybody already knows.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, if you are going to compensate them, let them pay for their education, food, lodging, medical care, insurance for medical care, etc. They get better nutrition than anyone on planet Earth. Hmmmm. Will they make enough to pay their MONTHLY BILLS? Some will, some will NOT!

I see this as something that can be very DIVISIVE on a TEAM. It will be I, Me and NOT WE. Hmmmm. That QB, RB, WR are making tons of money, why should I (a center, guard, tackle, blocking TE) BLOCK for them unless I get $$$MINE$$$? I'm not sure I'd want to coach a group of I's and ME's. Will a center, guard, tackle, etc. meet with a high paid QB or RB before a game and DEMAND $$$$$ to BLOCK for him? Will a field goal kicker miss field goals if he doesn't receive enough $$$$$? Will a PUNTER punt short punts if he doesn't get enough $$$$$? Will a QB throw many INTERCEPTIONS if he's NOT getting enough $$$$$? Will a RB fumble many times if he's not getting enough.

I've already stopped watching the NFL. This could lead to me NOT even watching, uh, uh, uh, I can't even say it. I used to watch the NFL just to see FORMER Crimson Tide players playing.

In a National Championship or bowl game will certain KEY players DEMAND lots of $,$$$,$$$ to even play in their final game? Instead of worrying about the game plan, will their game plan be GETTING lots of $$$$$$?

So, if a few players are paid $,$$$,$$$, how will this affect the game? I just do NOT know. I've always thought that if you played for Alabama, you'd be taken care of for life with a good job and other incentives post-graduation.

Reactions: howmag and Bazza

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
We in higher education offer a bunch of degrees that IMHO are pretty worthless in the the grand scheme of personal survival (by worthless I mean it's pretty unlikely most who major in these type of degrees will actually earn a liveable wage doing ONLY those things in their degree field and/or are unable to pay back any loan they incur). This is not about any political viewpoint just a provocative thought on comparing things like "dance" to "football" or "basketball."

Why not have a non-coaching/non-teaching degree for each of the sports? Players can make whatever they make from whomever wants to pay them whatever they want to pay them. Only caveat is that colleges can only provide cost-of-attendance.

This is a radical view but I know of no other way to handle this. (BTW, on the larger overall principles, I think I'm in agreement with Al A Bama - which is why I think this will be non-governable.)

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Imagine UA's reaction to:
"Hi, I'm So-and-So from the University of Alabama and my favorite gentleman's club is ________"

There will have to be some limits.
I have yet to hear of any limits proposed.

I have absolutely no doubt that Yella Fella will be offering million dollar contracts to every 5* out there to come play for awbern......

It will turn into one fat mess. :rolleyes:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I have yet to hear of any limits proposed.

I have absolutely no doubt that Yella Fella will be offering million dollar contracts to every 5* out there to come play for awbern......

It will turn into one fat mess. :rolleyes:
I'm repeating someone else's thought that I tend to agree with...

The Oregon Ducks brought to you by Nike...a fully paid roster...

Reactions: Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well....IMHO if it happens this is how it should go.....

Any revenue should be evenly split among the entire team.

All revenue received during college will be paid back once an athlete enters the NFL.

An equal sum of any revenue is paid (matched in other words) by the NFL player to an animal rescue fund.

Any player who does not move on to the pros is exempt from paying anything back.

Seems fair..... ;)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
@Al A Bama , do you have a problem with ANY student making money on their image or likeness or just athletes?
Not every student gets an all expenses paid college career.

Honestly, I have no problem with any student, athlete or not, being able to get a job or earn money from YouTube or other similar websites. I'm not sure how I feel about opening the flood gates for endorsements. I think it will end up being very one sided. Like everything that involves money in this country, it will only increase the divide between the haves and the have nots.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
@Al A Bama , do you have a problem with ANY student making money on their image or likeness or just athletes?
I understand your angle here, but you have to admit sanctioned NCAA sports teams are different than the general student population. There is the element of competitive advantage from school to school, program to program that must be considered and managed in some semblance of an equitable manner. And that's in addition to all the possible locker room drama Al A Bama mentioned. It's not apples to apples to simply say "athletes should get the same opportunities as all students". I don't know what the answer is, but athletes ARE different in this regard, and I'm not aware of any booster trying to slip architecture majors extra cash on the down low.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.