Poll: Who will be Alabama's Senator in 2021

Who will it be

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get it when people are passionate about their politics but I am adamantly opposed to mixing sports and politics. Can we not have just one safe haven, where we can just watch people compete and enjoy the beauty of sports without having to interject the ugliness of politics into it?
Well take the National anthem out of sports. That would be a start for having an anti political safe haven.

Reactions: seebell and 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, Coach Bryant integrated the team, which was a great thing. However, he didn't get on a soapbox and endorse a political candidate first. He just did it. I am perfectly fine with Coach Saban urging people to wear masks, kiss their mama, honor god and country, etc. I just don't want him endorsing a political candidate. It's just that simple.
I agree with this. I dont mind sports and politics intersecting but just as I dont want my pastor telling me where to cast my ballot, neither do I want my coach doing so.

Reactions: seebell

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
no, but they were "injecting politics" into sports
Maybe in your opinion, but not mine. Politics is about parties, their views on governmental issues, and the people that identify with said parties and represent those parties in local , state and national offices. Social issues are not politics. How a political party feels about a social issue may be political but not the issue itself.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Maybe in your opinion, but not mine. Politics is about parties, their views on governmental issues, and the people that identify with said parties and represent those parties in local , state and national offices. Social issues are not politics. How a political party feels about a social issue may be political but not the issue itself.
it was an explicitly political statement.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Avery Brundage, himself an American, deemed it to be a domestic political statement unfit for the apolitical, international forum the Olympic Games were intended to be. In response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the US team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the expulsion of the two athletes from the Games.[11] However (contrary to a common misconception) neither the IOC or USOC forced Smith and Carlos to return their medals.[12]

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Controlling a pandemic is also a social issue. It's unfortunate that sports are now threatened by the gross mismanagement of it. Jones is the only candidate that seems to understand what needs to be done. Saban, in my opinion, should not be bashful in pointing that out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It didn't used to be, but it, patriotism and the American flag have been hijacked.
Even since it’s creation the Star Spangled Banner was used as a justification of a war that neither side should’ve been in.So I would categorize that as a political statement but not an obvious one to folks that rarely Look up the War of 1812 and the full poem.

But yes over the years it has been used as a “patriotism“ check and a cash grab. Personally I’ve seen more active duty members run into buildings at 4:29 to avoid hearing the national anthem play than take honor and salute it everyday.

it is a political instrument used by the right to say the otherside isn’t patriotic.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Even since it’s creation the Star Spangled Banner was used as a justification of a war that neither side should’ve been in.So I would categorize that as a political statement but not an obvious one to folks that rarely Look up the War of 1812 and the full poem.

But yes over the years it has been used as a “patriotism“ check and a cash grab. Personally I’ve seen more active duty members run into buildings at 4:29 to avoid hearing the national anthem play than take honor and salute it everyday.

it is a political instrument used by the right to say the otherside isn’t patriotic.
don't forget about freedom fries

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Tubby's approach seems to be best summed up by the character of Aaron Burr in the play "Hamilton."

Talk less.
Smile more.
Never let them see what you're against or what you're for.
Fear the Thumb.

I've been conditioned to see a smirk when he tries to smile. I can't imagine this out-of-work failed football coach in the Senate.

Reactions: 92tide and seebell

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.