Vol coaches reject pay cuts in wake of Covid

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I reminds me of CEOs that take 15% pay cuts when their employees take 15% paycuts (which by itself is not exactly an equivalent cut due to basic costs of living), but that same group almost NEVER cut their bonuses or stock options. Like Bob Iger:

"Among the most high-profile to announce a cutback is Disney chairman Bob Iger who earned $3m (ÂŁ2.4m) in basic salary last year. However, this base salary was only a fraction of his $47.5m total package. The remainder was made up of a $21.8m bonus, stocks and other benefits."

He took a 6% pay cut while 100,000 of his employees received no pay at all. That's just not sticking your neck out at all.

Yeah, a 15% cut on $3m doesn't hurt as bad as 15% on $30k...🙄

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
So, Tee Martin broke ranks with the other coaches, interesting.

UT's head basketball coach makes more than the head football coach, also interesting.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
So, Tee Martin broke ranks with the other coaches, interesting.

UT's head basketball coach makes more than the head football coach, also interesting.
Not surprising at all. He is simply following orders from the great pumpkin... :rolleyes:

Pruitt was no doubt "encouraged" to hire him in the first place.

Reactions: Bama9001

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Bingo, you take the paycut to save your job for when/if things begin to correct. Trust me, those 8 choosing not to take a pay cut WILL BE the first 8 called in when this is over. They may not care, who knows? But if the head coach and other higher ups and peers are taking paycuts, I'm taking one as well. Optics just don't work in my favor not to.
To be fair, they may feel that they will be cut loose at the end of the season anyways... :rolleyes:

So why take a cut in pay?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The company I worked for did it for everyone. No one was excluded. It started with 10% back in June. It has grown since then. The intern was on a work visa. She was at first furloughed, but she couldn't be furloughed due to the work visa. She either had to be terminated and find a new job or pay her the bare minimum and work at least 30 hours. They did that just so she could keep the work visa. Things are looking more bleak there anyway.

I cannot imagine one of the employees refusing the paycut and demanding full salary. They would have most likely been fired.
Are you an Architect? If so, this doesn't bode well for the Construction Industry. Construction makes up to 1/3 of the economy. :oops:

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
I understand what you are saying but I wouldn’t take the cut if AD or president aren’t taking a cut. It seems the higher ups want people below them to take the cuts and they keep there same pay checks. I don’t want you to think I am not being sympathetic toward what is happening in the world with business, I am a small business owner, but I have not drawn checks and cut my pay on occasion to make sure my employees earn what I hired them at. To me that shows your employees that you care about them and in most cases, not all, they will go above and beyond for you and the company. I don’t know what or if the AD or president have taken as far as pay cuts but to me it starts at the top.
It would be refreshing to hear management tell the peons “You’re all in this together”

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We took pay cuts at my company to save jobs. Some people are just selfish (1) stupid, or (2) think they’re getting fired at the end of the year, and want to get theirs while they can.
FIFY.

The stupid argument is that they’re already on thin ice, and now un-cooperative. Being the recalcitrant employee isn’t the best look when your continued employment is already dicey.

OR....

They know the jig is up, and no longer see a reason to be co-operative. Nothing to lose, so hold UTe to the letter of the contract.

Not good either way.

Reactions: Bazza

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The way the Vols are playing, maybe they figure they better take it while they can still get it.
In a "normal" company, I would be inclined to accept the pay cut, especially if other coworkers would not lose their jobs if I took the pay cut.
In coaching, when just about any coach can be shown the door just about any time, I can understand declining the pay cut. It is not like the coaching staff will be more likely to be retained if they accept the pay cut. (e.g. "We were going to fire you, but you agreed to accept a pay cut, so we are going to retain you another year." I just don't see the AD saying that regardless.)

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In a "normal" company, I would be inclined to accept the pay cut.
In coaching, when just about any coach can be shown the door just about any time, I can understand dealing the pay cut. It is not like the coaching staff will be more likely to be retained if they accept the pay cut. (e.g. "We were going to fire you, but you agreed to accept a pay cut, so we are going to retain you another year." I just don't see the AD saying that regardless.)
Can’t argue with that logic, especially when the AD in question is Phil Fulmer.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, a 15% cut on $3m doesn't hurt as bad as 15% on $30k...🙄
You are correct. Some people are so out of touch it is dumbfounding. "But, but, but I lost over $450,000!" Yeah, but you still have $2,550,000 to keep a roof over your head and put food on the table for your family. I think you'll live. Try losing $4500 dollars when you only make $30K. Anyway, I feel blessed and don't want to judge others. Maybe those folks are planning some great philanthropic activities with that extra money.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Maybe I was wrong but I discharged high paying, longest tenured employees whose contribution was declining so I could keep lower earning plant employees working, though at reduced hours. Seven+ months later it has worked out. Chaotic times . . . frankly, the Tennessee coaches should be embarrassed by their performance and willingly accept pay cuts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe I was wrong but I discharged high paying, longest tenured employees whose contribution was declining so I could keep lower earning plant employees working, though at reduced hours. Seven+ months later it has worked out. Chaotic times . . . frankly, the Tennessee coaches should be embarrassed by their performance and willingly accept pay cuts.
Tough decision. If it allows the business to survive where it would not have otherwise then this makes sense for everyone, though it would be no less painful for those sacrificed, especially the older folks who may never find adequate employment again.

I have been forced to decide who goes and who stays many times in my life. It is heart wrenching.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
In a "normal" company, I would be inclined to accept the pay cut, especially if other coworkers would not lose their jobs if I took the pay cut.
In coaching, when just about any coach can be shown the door just about any time, I can understand declining the pay cut. It is not like the coaching staff will be more likely to be retained if they accept the pay cut. (e.g. "We were going to fire you, but you agreed to accept a pay cut, so we are going to retain you another year." I just don't see the AD saying that regardless.)
Could be that their agent (Jimmy Sexton?) has advised against it

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Tough decision. If it allows the business to survive where it would not have otherwise then this makes sense for everyone, though it would be no less painful for those sacrificed, especially the older folks who may never find adequate employment again.

I have been forced to decide who goes and who stays many times in my life. It is heart wrenching.
Well.....so many times when those decisions are made.....people whom are incompetent remain in their window seats...while the pilots are thrown out. Saw it happen at my favorite Power Co in Birmingham. Happens all over the world. Not even sure it was necessary..but I quit and got a real job with people under me. I cut grass at a cemetery.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.