Whats this "Leave Facebook go to Parler" thing

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There is an expectation of privacy when on the phone - no one should be listening in without a warrant and content can't be moderated.

There is no expectation of privacy on a public forum. Even with privacy controls someone can take your content and make it more public than you originally intended and anyone knows this or should.

When you sign up for social media you agree to terms of use. If you don't like those terms you can move to another platform. You can petition for a change. You can even create your own platform if you wish.

Trying to prove a tort because you don't like the TOS you agreed to is going to be a tall order in a liability case (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have a twitter account. I had heard that Twitter would not allow users to tweet a link to the NY Post story about Hunter Biden's laptop showing that Joe was not entirely truthful when he said he never discussed Hunter's foreign business dealings. In fact, it appeared that Joe had meetings with Hunter expressly to discuss Chinese business dealings.
Out of curiosity, I tried to test the hypothesis and I tried to tweet a link the story and Twitter immediately denied the tweet and said the content was "harmful."
As I said above, Twitter is private property and they can censor whatever they wish to.
I do not have to use that social media platform either.
There are some legal and political issues associated with this.
If a social media platform does not exercise editorial control, then it functions like a public utility. The telephone company nether knows nor cares what you tell your friends over the phone lines. Thus, it cannot be held responsible for two people planning, say, criminal activity over their phone lines.
If they social media platforms do exercise editorial control, then they are acting more like a newspaper, with all the liabilities that go with that. If you control what gets published, then you can be held pecuniarily liable for what gets published.
And, as a matter of censorship, would any of us be upset if the telephone company refused to allow Democrats to discuss campaign strategy over the telephone lines, and the phone company said, "Well, we are a private company and those phone lines are private property. We get to deny the use of our medium if people say illegal or offensive things and discussing Democratic strategy 'violates out community standards.'" I think most people would have a problem with that.

Long term, the social justice warriors may bring about a division of society into social justice warriors and the companies they tolerate and support , and others. I could see that with social media platforms, with news outlets, with cell phone companies. You name it.
This is laughable, so thanks for the chuckle.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I have no problem with new social media platforms. Anything to reduce the influence and reach of FB and Twitter. Break it all up, fracture the entire social media industry so that it's power becomes meaningless.

Wishful thinking I know but, I can dream.

I do find it funny that conservatives, who blasted the left for creating "safe spaces" have now flocked to their own social media "safe place". Another funny thing, I've seen many people say "Parler doesn't sell your data". Well, those folks haven't read the TOS:

How We Use the Information We Collect We may use the information we collect:

● For marketing and advertising purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you;

How We Share the Information We Collect:

Marketing. We do not rent, sell, or share information about you with nonaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless we have your affirmative express consent.
So affiliated third parties get your data. This is how these companies make money and if you don't think they are in it to make money then you are an idiot.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've always found that people who consider the term "social justice warrior" an insult are telling us a lot about themselves.
Well, Bill Maher has raked social justice warriors over the coals.
Bill Maher blames ‘social justice warriors’ for Democrats failing in 2020: ‘I could do this all day’
And there are a bunch of youtube videos that cannot be linked due to language, because it is Bill Maher who has difficulty stringing together two sentences without an f-bomb.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, Bill Maher has raked social justice warriors over the coals.
Bill Maher blames ‘social justice warriors’ for Democrats failing in 2020: ‘I could do this all day’
And there are a bunch of youtube videos that cannot be linked due to language, because it is Bill Maher who has difficulty stringing together two sentences without an f-bomb.
He is a comedian. Good for a laugh, but I don't respect his political opinions more than any other comedian.

But I agree that both sides are villainizing progressives right now.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He is a comedian. Good for a laugh, but I don't respect his political opinions more than any other comedian.

I love Tidefans. I learn stuff all the time. Today I learned Bill Mahr is a comedian. All this time I thought he was a smug arrogant blowhard. Who knew?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Well, I think he is a genuine liberal and leftist. You cannot discount what he says just because he is a comedian first and foremost.
I think that the number 1 recruiter of Republican voters was Donald Trump. Unfortunately for his chances of re-election, he was the number 1 recruiter for Democratic voters, and he was better at the latter than the former (although he did manage to get more votes than Barack Obama).
Here in Virginia, suburbanites, especially suburban women were completely turned off by his schtick. I drove around the Richmond suburbs, which was Mitt Romney territory in 2012, and saw nothing but Biden signs. Trump effected that change.
Elsewhere, I think riots in cities and states controlled by Democrats scared a lot of people that might have voted for Biden.
And some were turned off by the relentless SJW harangues.
Democrats should have cleaned the Republicans' clocks this election with such a beatable Republican presidential candidate, but they didn't. Democrats might want to ask why that was. Maher is offering an answer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, I think he is a genuine liberal and leftist.
I think he abandoned ideology for cash over a decade ago. He is all over the place, but he has never been a "leftist". That said, I have already agreed that democrats are also attacking the most progressive part of their party.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've always found that people who consider the term "social justice warrior" an insult are telling us a lot about themselves.
Here are a couple of examples.
J.K. Rowling Book Burning Videos Are Spreading Like Wildfire Across TikTok
Yes, book burning.

Cracker Barrel apologized and removed a noose-like decoration hanging from the ceiling after a customer called the chain out
Turns out it was a soldering iron that the original owner had coiled the cord and tied the cord around itself to keep it tidy.

Those are just two examples of SJW silliness.

Personally, I hope SJWs ramp up their efforts between now and November 2022

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think he abandoned ideology for cash over a decade ago. He is all over the place, but he has never been a "leftist". That said, I have already agreed that democrats are also attacking the most progressive part of their party.
Maybe you are right. I do not watch enough Bill Maher to tell. I do get the impression that he is a genuine man of the left. And he does embrace liberal ideals (specifically, the free exchange of ideas and devil take the hindmost).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, I think he is a genuine liberal and leftist. You cannot discount what he says just because he is a comedian first and foremost.
I think that the number 1 recruiter of Republican voters was Donald Trump. Unfortunately for his chances of re-election, he was the number 1 recruiter for Democratic voters, and he was better at the latter than the former (although he did manage to get more votes than Barack Obama).
Here in Virginia, suburbanites, especially suburban women were completely turned off by his schtick. I drove around the Richmond suburbs, which was Mitt Romney territory in 2012, and saw nothing but Biden signs. Trump effected that change.
Elsewhere, I think riots in cities and states controlled by Democrats scared a lot of people that might have voted for Biden.
And some were turned off by the relentless SJW harangues.
Democrats should have cleaned the Republicans' clocks this election with such a beatable Republican presidential candidate, but they didn't. Democrats might want to ask why that was. Maher is offering an answer.
Democrats won Georgia and Arizona. I think that is cleaning the Republicans clocks.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here are a couple of examples.
J.K. Rowling Book Burning Videos Are Spreading Like Wildfire Across TikTok
Yes, book burning.

Cracker Barrel apologized and removed a noose-like decoration hanging from the ceiling after a customer called the chain out
Turns out it was a soldering iron that the original owner had coiled the cord and tied the cord around itself to keep it tidy.

Those are just two examples of SJW silliness.

Personally, I hope SJWs ramp up their efforts between now and November 2022
As long as they tear down a few more Confederate statues along the way I’ll give them a pass on their more outrageous concerns.

Reactions: Jon and 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Democrats won Georgia and Arizona. I think that is cleaning the Republicans clocks.
This is true, but the 70+ million votes for a piece of garbage like trump means that the country has to figure out how to move forward together.

Reactions: 81usaf92

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.