Question: Barn Hate Week: How good are they?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
There is a definite reason the series record is closer against Auburn than all other SEC teams and it's not because Auburn is historically better than those teams, they're not. It's the rivalry.
The definite reason is that AU did not have to play Alabama from 1908-1947. Bama would have probably won 30 of those 40 games and the record would be 76-47. Bama was top 3 in winning % during from 1908-1947, AU was #74; 1948-2019 Bama was top 3, AU was top 15. Both were really higher than that from 48-19 since they play in the SEC. Bama has been 42-30 since the resumption (1948) vs a top 12 type program, with at least 8 of those wins during a draconian scholarship reductions period, 1997-2007, 3-8.

As to the games you referenced earlier:

1972: AU ended 10-1, Bama 10-2. Yes, Bama had the better talent but AU was no slouch, ended up top 5. It was not "grit and pluck" that won the game for AU but incredibly good fortune. I was in the stadium.

1989: AU was physically superior to Alabama. They ended 10-1, Bama 10-2. AU was the better team who ended up top 6. That game was no upset. When it came "game-winning" time AU physically jerked Bama around like a rag doll. It was sickening.

2013: That was an all-time AU team (top 5 or so). Bama had a little better talent but that AU team played for the NC, ended up number 2. That game was at home for AU.

2017: At that point in the season AU was better than Bama. The Bama QB position was in disarray, AU's QB and team were hot and AU was at home. It was hardly a real upset.

These were all very good AU teams, 3 of which ended 5, 6 and 2. The other was the hottest team in the country at that moment, playing at home vs a physically wounded team with a psychologically crippled QB.

This AU team is decent->good but nothing like the 4 teams you referenced and they are not playing at home. Doesn't mean they can't play well. This is another very good Alabama team.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
If Alabama continues to be tricked into defensive schemes that leave the middle of the field wide open or doesn't protect the edge to either side of the field, as occurred in Kentucky's first 2-3 drives last night it will be a long hard day of work against Auburn. The offense may ultimately win the game but it will frustrate the heck out of any Bama fan watching Auburn make long drives running the ball.
defensive strategy worked well against UK. See what your opponent does in the first quarter and then come up with a plan and execute. Brilliant, huh?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Without having read the thread there are two things that stand out:

1. We can move the ball on them and should be able to score a lot of points. Najee will have a huge game!
2. Bo Nix is the kind of QB that can be a Stephen Garcia. While you never know how he'll play in most games, but rest assured he'll be up to play us considering his family background. He plays backyard football and can get on a good streak with those backfoot throws. Considering he's got some playmakers they'll stay in the game. He's also not a bad runner.

I think we'll probably just need to outscore them, which I think we can, especially as the game goes on.

Alan92

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2020
Nope...Cue Selma...
I read his post that's on the board now.

If a team has a better record, is favored and loses, it's an upset. That's how we define upsets. 2013 was an upset. 2 time defending champion loses a perfect season in a game they were favored. It doesn't matter what the teams do later...at the time of the game it was an upset. Same with 17 IB.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I read his post that's on the board now.

If a team has a better record, is favored and loses, it's an upset. That's how we define upsets. 2013 was an upset. 2 time defending champion loses a perfect season in a game they were favored. It doesn't matter what the teams do later...at the time of the game it was an upset. Same with 17 IB.
I'm seeing spots...and hearing, wait...what? Mooooo...😅

Reactions: We_are_Bama

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Auburn starts slow. Nearly all their games this season, their 1st quarter has been terrible, or just slow. If we jump on them early, and get a little lead, say 14, the wheels might come off, but I don't think they will quit until we get it out to more than 20.

Best way to give yourself a chance against this Alabama team is to never let Alabama's offense on the field. We score fast, efficiently, and can still hang in and win the games where aren't on the field much. See, time of possession discussion.

I read somewhere that, against Kentucky, Golding wanted to "see what Kentucky was going to do" then, make adjustments on defense. No. It worked this past weekend, but that won't continue to work against better teams. The key to beating Auburn is making Nix feel pressure all the time, and not just on 3rd down. Auburn will want to run; they have more confidence in it, especially if Bigsby is back. But, he will abandon quickly if it's not going well, and Nix will be attempt to sling it all over. Our linebackers need to have their best day, not necessarily for the win, as our offense can nearly carry this team against almost any team. But to thoroughly embarrass them, which I prefer.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Auburn starts slow. Nearly all their games this season, their 1st quarter has been terrible, or just slow. If we jump on them early, and get a little lead, say 14, the wheels might come off, but I don't think they will quit until we get it out to more than 20.

Best way to give yourself a chance against this Alabama team is to never let Alabama's offense on the field. We score fast, efficiently, and can still hang in and win the games where aren't on the field much. See, time of possession discussion.

I read somewhere that, against Kentucky, Golding wanted to "see what Kentucky was going to do" then, make adjustments on defense. No. It worked this past weekend, but that won't continue to work against better teams. The key to beating Auburn is making Nix feel pressure all the time, and not just on 3rd down. Auburn will want to run; they have more confidence in it, especially if Bigsby is back. But, he will abandon quickly if it's not going well, and Nix will be attempt to sling it all over. Our linebackers need to have their best day, not necessarily for the win, as our offense can nearly carry this team against almost any team. But to thoroughly embarrass them, which I prefer.
That was just the plan for UK. You have to believe there is a separate plan for AU, especially after Coach has said that they work on multiple teams during the bye and this season byes.

Reactions: BamaDMD and Con

Alan92

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2020
I would vote to drop them forever if we had the option. Let's just win and try to keep injury free.
See, I have the opposite attitude about playing Auburn. I want to play and beat them. The 2008 Iron Bowl was a great feeling to have as a fan, after all that time.

Reactions: Tide Rev

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.