BREAKING Auburn hires Brian Harsin from Boise State as new head coach (now official)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yep, if he can consistently stay in the top 10-15 in recruiting AND is good at plucking those diamonds in the rough and developing them into four and five star players. Y'all will definitely compete. The potential problem is not being able to recruit at minimal level and having to depend too much on player development.

Not to brag on myself, but I'll go ahead and brag on myself since I mentioned it. ;) :D I coached a youth baseball team two years go and on a roster of 11, I had five true athletes and the rest "bless your heart" type players. The PC term is "project players". One of my good friends coached a team in the same league and was loaded with talent. He'd beat the brakes off us every time and let me hear about it. I told him that I do more coaching than he does because a lot of things I have to coach, he doesn't due to talent. He disagreed and continued to whip our butts. We moved age groups and I was able to assemble my own team with the five athletes from previous year and picked up 6 equivalent athletes. As life had it, he lost almost his entire team and couldn't replace them with equal talent. Long story short, we've played him at least five times since and the closest score has been 17-5. Talent matters......A LOT.
That's what NS told MM on the plane when flying back to Tuscaloosa to start his tenure. Something about you had to have chicken to make chicken salad...I don't think he ever stops recruiting...ever.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
That's what NS told MM on the plane when flying back to Tuscaloosa to start his tenure. Something about you had to have chicken to make chicken salad...I don't think he ever stops recruiting...ever.
A good thing is that Harsin is supposedly cut from that same cloth. Driven recruiter that takes no days off.

The bad thing is the footprint. It takes time to build a rapport with coaches and the like. Probably why it wouldn't be a bad idea to retain some of the staff. Garner, T-Will and Caddy maybe.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
None. But he's in a situation similar to CNS where they'll actively avoid giving it to him if they can because he's expected to dominate.
Well, Saban has won it in the SEC.

I am wondering...the best coach in a conference is at least acknowledged as Coach of the Year at least once.

No disrespect towards you is intended, but it would appear that you guys didn't even hire the best coach in the MWC... :unsure:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
The fact that he wasn't one of the many coaches offered pretty much answers that question... :cool:
I'm under the impression that was the plan all along----same plan as with Pearl. Thumb their nose at the conference and hire him anyway. Sankey's statement to the staff at the conference office (third hand) was that the only way for that to happen was a complete and total airing of all the details that lead to his firing at Ole Miss with several helpings of humble pie thrown in for good measure. Don't think there is a school in the conference that will take that chance.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If your metric is subjective plaudits rather than, you know, hard results, you're not looking for a legit argument. You're being silly.
Bwuh? 🤔

Please explain why he has never been named MWC Coach of the Year...

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I'm under the impression that was the plan all along----same plan as with Pearl. Thumb their nose at the conference and hire him anyway. Sankey's statement to the staff at the conference office (third hand) was that the only way for that to happen was a complete and total airing of all the details that lead to his firing at Ole Miss with several helpings of humble pie thrown in for good measure. Don't think there is a school in the conference that will take that chance.
I'm telling you if the viles fire Pruitt he will b the coach within a week!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We won't know for 1-2 years whether this was a good hire. He has to be given a fair chance (maybe a little longer BUT......the home run hires of recent years show immense improvement in the second year.

OTOH - the same Aubie fans (no reflection on ours here) who just 2 days ago were complaining now suddenly thinking this was six-dimension chess and "he will live in Bama fans's heads" need a lobotomy.

They hired a guy willing to follow their conditions whom they were able to get without a buyout after a bunch of other folks wouldn't sign off on that level of crap. Anyone arguing that this guy was their "real first choice" and the other stuff was all bob and weave needs to subsist on a diet of navel lint.

Just because he was WELL DOWN THE LIST does NOT mean he will be a bad hire any more than hiring first on their list would automatically have been a good hire.

Given how many times we went to the plate and struck out between Bryant and Saban, I think we can maybe be a little reserved in our initial judgments while simultaneously laughing at the process that Auburn used (apparently, chaos theory is becoming a popular method of.....everything!)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We won't know for 1-2 years whether this was a good hire. He has to be given a fair chance (maybe a little longer BUT......the home run hires of recent years show immense improvement in the second year.

OTOH - the same Aubie fans (no reflection on ours here) who just 2 days ago were complaining now suddenly thinking this was six-dimension chess and "he will live in Bama fans's heads" need a lobotomy.

They hired a guy willing to follow their conditions whom they were able to get without a buyout after a bunch of other folks wouldn't sign off on that level of crap. Anyone arguing that this guy was their "real first choice" and the other stuff was all bob and weave needs to subsist on a diet of navel lint.

Just because he was WELL DOWN THE LIST does NOT mean he will be a bad hire any more than hiring first on their list would automatically have been a good hire.

Given how many times we went to the plate and struck out between Bryant and Saban, I think we can maybe be a little reserved in our initial judgments while simultaneously laughing at the process that Auburn used (apparently, chaos theory is becoming a popular method of.....everything!)
This is a fair take and absolutely correct.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
There's no way of knowing at this point, but I just don't think Harsin is ready for the rigors of being a HC in the SEC. I think he'll struggle for 3 years, then get the axe. But he'll likely leave Auburn a wealthy man.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.