Is Alabama Quarterback U (Again)?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
One thing I find interesting and a little perplexing is exactly how Alabama lost their reputation as a quarterback school. Not only did that not used to be the case, but Alabama had become the preeminent quarterback school at one point.

Consider Super Bowl XI. Kenny Stabler wins the Super Bowl. At that point, Alabama had 3 different quarterbacks who won the Super Bowl, 4 times. The pipeline kind of ended when Richard Todd was drafted in the first round in 1976. I'd think part of Alabama losing their position as the preeminent producer of NFL talent had a lot to do with the wishbone.

When you start running a system that, uses "a running back who can throw" it is not hard to see why the NFL quarterbacks dried up. Luck had a lot to do with it as well I suppose, but when Alabama did produce an NFL quarterback they peaked with guys like Jeff Rutledge, who had 10 NFL starts in a 7-year career. You have to go all the way to Brodie to have someone playing meaningful snaps, and he didn't play very many, he started 10 games as well. Then you have Greg McElroy and a glimmer of hope with AJ, who after being drafted in the fifth round has 5 starts in his career.

It might not be fair to consider Alabama snakebit at the position, even schools like Ohio State have had very limited quarterback success. Alabama remains one of two schools with three different quarterbacks with Super Bowl trophies. The 4 total wins have them tied for third place, behind only Michigan (Tom Brady) and Notre Dame, which has 5, 4 of which belong to Joe Montana.

I still found it irritating though, to see schools like Oklahoma and USC rack up high round draft picks and Heisman votes, while Alabama languished at the position. Now that Alabama has another Heisman trophy finalist (still no Heisman at the QB position as of yet), who is projected to go in the first round, the curse appears to have been lifted.

Alabama has taken a leap forward in evaluation, recruiting, and development of quarterbacks. The boost to reputation matters, on the recruiting end it means it will be easier to attract quarterbacks, and when an NFL team is more heavily invested in a quarterback, they are more inclined to have a better opportunity to prove themselves.

While we appear on the verge of affirmation of the turnaround, with Heisman finalist QBs in two of the past three years (three if you count Hurts), and what will likely be back to back first-round draft picks at the position, really I think the proof of this happened between the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

Alabama had Mac Jones on the bench and some questions in terms of if Hurts was going to transfer. Looking for some depth Alabama got a commitment from Gardner Minshew. Hurts, Tua, and Minshew all went on to become Heisman trophy candidates. All three are currently starting in the NFL. Alabama, unable to produce an NFL starter at the position for years, nearly had all three of those guys on the team at one time.

It's been interesting to watch, and it's a testament to what Saban has built. If we go back a few years the question would be why Alabama keeps missing on quarterback and why they can't get a kicker. Now they have (another) Heisman finalist and a Lou Groza finalist. While I think Kiffin/Sark played an important role in the turnaround, I also have a hard time imagining it goes back to the way it was anytime soon.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the QB position is different. Putting a lot of QBs in the league is one thing - need at least one to be in the top 5 though.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
After some serious success with Bryant's earlier QBs, we switched to the wishbone, which required an entirely different skill set than for an NFL QB. From that era, only Richard Todd had any success in the NFL, and that was only limited (NY Jets). Jeff Rutledge could have had some, but was a career backup, and had some unfortunate injuries when he did get the chance to start.

Then, for about 25 years, it was a combination of lack of QB talent, offenses that weren't really conducive to development of a professional QB, failure to develop QBs we did get, consequent difficulty in recruiting top talent, and some unfortunate misses on highly rated recruits that didn't pan out.

To me, QB is the hardest position to predict college success from high school performance. Harder even than OL. Even Saban has had some misses on highly-rated HS QBs.

Lately, though, with the advent of Kiffin and Sarkisian as OCs, we've changed our offense at a basic level, and been able not only to attract elite QB talent, but to develop it as well.

That to me is what separates outstanding coaches from the all-time greats....the ability to change and evolve, especially as the rules and officials' interpretation of those rules changes and evolves.

I'm aware of only Bryant and Saban who have been able to create and sustain dynasties through multiple fundamental approaches to the game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that the QB position is different. Putting a lot of QBs in the league is one thing - need at least one to be in the top 5 though.
That's a fair point and one interesting quirk of the distribution. It always seems really disparate at the top, when Joe Namath went up against Bart Starr in the Super Bowl that as far as I'm aware was a really unique thing. It was kind of like when Alabama played LSU in the BCSCG.

But yeah, a school is probably going to have to produce multiple first rounders before they really solidify their claim at the position. Alabama was putting running back after running back in the NFL, had two Heisman trophy winners, but they're really just now solidifying their status as the top RB school (with two pro-bowlers, the leading rusher in the NFL and multiple other legitimate contributors).

Last edited:
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Slightly off topic but this this kid Jalen Milroe, is special, he has command, presence, comfortable in the pocket and able to move up in the pocket, something a lot of college QB's don't do. He can throw dimes, all night and is a threat to extend the play if options break down, a true RPO QB. I think Young, will be looking over his shoulder, or should be! We are Blessed to have QB room full of young talent!
Jalen Milroe, 4-star QB, Katy (Texas)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Slightly off topic
I think this plays into the whole narrative though. For some time it wasn't that Alabama couldn't sign highly ranked quarterbacks, they were. It was that somehow a lot of them turned out to be busts.

Now, it's reaching the point that if Alabama wants a guy at QB, I have reason to think he's pretty darn good. One thing I was able to do for a while was go to every A-Day game. I saw good and I saw bad, but I might have seen more bad than good.

Now, they're on a roll. From Jalen Hurts who was a diamond in the rough, to Tua, Mac, Minshew, Young... it looks like they've figured out how to go after the right guys.

If you can gain an edge on evaluation and development, you know your guys are much more likely to turn out to be something special.

Reactions: Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's a fair point and one interesting quirk of the distribution. It always seems really disparate at the top, when Joe Namath went up against Bart Starr in the Super Bowl that as far as I'm aware was a really unique thing. It was kind of like when Alabama played LSU in the BCSCG.

But yeah, a school is probably going to have to produce multiple first rounders before they really solidify their claim at the position. Alabama was putting running back after running back in the NFL, had two Heisman trophy winners, but they're really just now solidifying their status as the top RB school (with two pro-bowlers, the leading rusher in the NFL and multiple other legitimate contributors).
Starr never faced Namath in the Super Bowl.....????

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Bart Starr and Joe Namath never faced each other in the Super Bowl. Starr was the MVP of the first 2 Super Bowls and Namath was the MVP of the 3rd SB.

Reactions: Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I understand the point. But Namath went up against Johnny Unitas and the Colts in the third SB.

Starr played the Chiefs and the Raiders in the first and second SBs. Guessing the opposing QBs were Dawson and Lamonica or Flores respectively, though I’m not positive in that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Starr never faced Namath in the Super Bowl.....????
Yeah I got that a little conflated, it was Unitas in the third Super Bowl.

I guess where I got a little mixed up is Alabama quarterbacks won the first, second and third Super Bowls with Namath winning the third. First three Super Bowl MVPs is still a remarkable feat but yeah. My excuse is my memory isn't as good as yours, heh.

Edit: Not that anyone cares, but I have a problem with conflating similar things. I do it with words quite often, I usually find and correct them but sometimes I'll just type the wrong one. I do it with people to, for instance similar QB recruits or in this case hall of fame quarterbacks. Not the first time I've conflated Unitas with Starr actually, there was a point I thought Unitas was the one that played for Alabama actually, heh. Once something becomes conflated it's hard to undo.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you look at it, how many starters in the NFL comes from big P5 programs? I really don’t know if sending qbs to the NFL is really deserving of the Title of QBU.

ACTIVE SB Winners

- Brady : Michigan
-Brees : Purdue
- Mahomes: TTU
- Foles: Arizona
- Roethlisberger: Miami (OH)
- Rodgers: Cal
-Wilson: Wisconsin
-Flacco: Delaware

NFL Starters in general reflect this kinda weird parity as well. I mean Oklahoma has 3 and Cal and Bama have 2. But most are Big 10/ PAC 12 folks that no one really thought would have a serious career.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.