LSU's TJ Finley in Transfer Portal (edit, he's going to Abuurn)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I could be wrong, but I just do not see Finley transferring to Alabama. He would likely see early playing time at TAMU, Arkansas or MSU if he wants to stay in the SEC. Just hope Young can avoid the injury bug this fall, if not, we could be in trouble.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I could be wrong, but I just do not see Finley transferring to Alabama. He would likely see early playing time at TAMU, Arkansas or MSU if he wants to stay in the SEC. Just hope Young can avoid the injury bug this fall, if not, we could be in trouble.
It would be nice to have another scholarship QB on the roster since there are only 3 now. If Saban is truly interested in TJ Finley, I wonder if someone may transfer? I am not sure how Jalen Milroe is progressing but I agree that if Bryce gets injured, there is a big drop off. At least TJ has game experience and can get developed by good coaches if he chooses Bama. If he wants to start or play a lot, he needs to go elsewhere though. He could probably beat out Bo Nix at Auburn or at least compete for major playing time there. It will be interesting for sure to see where he goes.

I have not read much about Arik Gilbert lately either... is he still supposedly staying at LSU?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Finley still has a lot of eligibility left right?

I suppose if there is mutual interest it could come down more to development than playing time. If he's not satisfied in how he's being brought along as LSU, Alabama is a pretty hot QB school right now.

The flip side is the simple fact that he's more experienced than anyone Alabama has right now. Bryce has thrown 22 passes, I don't think Tyson has thrown a pass, and Milroe as talented as he may be is a true freshman. I could see Finley, someone who has thrown 140 passes, coming in and vying for playing time, albeit likely as second string.

I don't know if the report Alabama is interested is accurate or not, but quarterback is a position where you can always use some quality depth. Alabama had a couple seasons where the backups played a major role, you don't want to be like Maryland where the ended up playing a linebacker at QB one year.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I would be shocked. I heard his interview after he entered the portal. He believes he is a starter and wouldn’t mind learning under someone for one year, but is looking for a place where he can start in 2022.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have watched all of the film out there for both of these guys, watched Young play many games his senior year in HS (though I have not seen Simpson play an entire game). I have also watched Milroe's film (again, did not see him play any full games). Milroe is very, very good. Simpson may not be better than Milroe.

Maybe it is just because I have seen Young play more, but he looks to be far better than either Milroe or Simpson at this point. They will all improve over time, but the guy actually playing in college games will improve more for obvious reasons.

I see Young as Alabama's starter until he leaves Alabama (barring injury).

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Tom Lemming yesterday said that Simpson is the real deal and he will win a title at bama. I know thats high praise for a kid who is still in high school, but Lemming is a well respected recruiting reporter. rtr

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To keep the QB recruiting flowing at a high level I hope BY wins a title and then Milroe or Simpson follow him with one as well.

I especially hope these guys will see the value in waiting their turn like Mac Jones did. He's probably an unusual one to be willing to wait that long, but I hope they'll see there is value ($$$) in waiting, learning, growing and maturing and being able to step in and play for a year or two and having the opportunity to become a Bama legend, win a NC, and get drafted and get rich in the NFL!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Tom Lemming yesterday said that Simpson is the real deal and he will win a title at bama. I know thats high praise for a kid who is still in high school, but Lemming is a well respected recruiting reporter. rtr
Every QB that comes to Bama and stays wins a title under Saban. The last QB to graduate without a title was John Parker Wilson and he was in Shula's 3rd signing class.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Every QB that comes to Bama and stays wins a title under Saban. The last QB to graduate without a title was John Parker Wilson and he was in Shula's 3rd signing class.
Jalen got his Bama title, but it was not probably like he would have drawn it up. But your point is technically true (except for maybe Blake Sims???).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.