Game Thread: #12 Oregon at #3 Ohio State (FOX @ 12ET)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did you see any of the game? The backup QB was dreadful. They scored 10 points. 10.

But beyond that, even with Kent, they looked 'meh', just like they did against Kent State.
Yes I watched BOTH aTm games because Clemson and Georgia bored me to tears. I can tell you for a fact that aTm is not an elite team and the starting quarterback is maybe a touchdown difference at best. Right now Auburn is far more impressive even playing crap schools. I would say Arkansas actually has a chance vs aTm. My point is that people are going out of their way to make excuses for a mediocre SEC team because they were hyped as being a national championship contender. Whether it be the altitude or an injury to a mediocre starter. It won’t change the fact that Colorado is a mid tier at best PAC 12 team and aTm is the 4th best team in the SEC West.

Did you see any of the game? The

Again, meh. I like and respect Jess, but I've long called Orgeron a moron who has no clue what he's doing, and didn't / don't think they'll wi 8 games this year, much less finish 3rd in the SECW. They've looked like hot garage so far, so again, not giving UCLA much credit for a big win.

Arky's domination of sexat was more impressive, imo.
Well the argument could be that Texas is hot garbage as well, and Sark is about 3-4 years away from competing with Oklahoma.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That said, I didn't enter this season worried about A&M or LSU.
My bigger issue is that prominent people on this site and amongst the fan base as a collective have been fretting us going to College Station.

Ive said it from the start that if we lose in the regular season it’s to Florida, Ole Miss, or Auburn. Auburn is more about location than anything.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I concur regarding Arky, and I reflexively hate the Hawgs having spent four years in Little Rock during the mid-90s. Great place to live, the fans....well....

Not directing this (obviously) at you, but I'm waiting on the "ATM was overrated" crowd in punditry.

Who overrated them? The very same people NOW using the passive voice, LOL!!!
My thing is “what in the last 3 years has aTm done to earn this amount of trust”. They are what they have shown thus far.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just to be crystal clear, I'm not talking about anyone on this board, okay?

Every single stinking year we go through this, whether it's Tim Off-Brand, Heather Don'tknowthis, Colin Cowpie or someone else. Every damned year they'll give us a name about how "this is the year that" (name of team) reasserts itself as a force with which to be reckoned (these idiots also end the sentence with a preposition).

And every single year, you can pretty much list the same teams:
Michigan (always)
Texas (always)
Texas A/M (always)
Miami (at least most of the time)
Notre Dame (this one is off and on)
Florida St (this one is also off and on)

It's almost like these folks want to be Joe Namath and Super Bowl III on their own terms. If you spend 15 years saying, "This is the year Michigan steps forward" then you're PROBABLY going to be right one time in those 15 years. (Then again, we ARE talking about Michigan, so...). They do it to the point that it's not even a real gut feeling so much as, "one of these years it's gonna happen and nobody is gonna remember when I'm wrong anyway."

A complete idiot who has paid scant attention to CFB history could look at Auburn this year and say, "I just have a gut feeling they're gonna be a contender" and likely be right. They have a new coach, their two toughest conference games are at home, Alabama has a brand new QB, and they're catching LSU in a down cycle. If you say it and you're WRONG, nobody will remember anyway. If you're right, you get to show the video in December about how you in a vague sense thought Auburn could contend this year.

Texas has been "gonna be back" ever since Colt McCoy got hurt.
A/M has been "next year's champions" since they lucked into a win over Alabama in 2012.

And Michigan has been "back" since
a) an unbeaten season in 1992 (three ties) and started 1993 at #3 (finished 8-4)
b) winning the 1997 national title (losses from 1992-98: 0, 4, 4, 4, 4, 0, 3)
c) replaced their old Carr with one that had Les Miles
d) hiring Rich Rod, who was going to make us forget Coach Bryant at Alabama just a tad earlier
e) hiring Jim Harbaugh, the greatest coach to never win a conference title
f) Urban Meyer retired

I mean, Michigan has been back more times than "Friday the 13th" and with the same predictable horror show. And Texas is just as bad.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Either A&M has sold its soul to beat us, and thus, did not prepare adequately for the rest of their schedule, or they were overrated.

UCLA beating LSU is impressive. It would be impressive if LSU was no better than a year ago, because UCLA has sucked for a long time. UCLA should not be beating a mediocre LSU, is my point. To me, it means they are a pretty good team this year. Maybe even the best in the Pac 12. Not an NC contender, but could sneak into the playoff because the PAC 12 is usually so bad, that they could run the table through it just based on being good enough to beat an LSU team that's a lot more talented than they are (even if they are run by an ape).

And Oregon, going into Ohio State and winning, is a big deal. Even if Ohio State is 9-3 at best because of growing pains. It's not something an Oregon ought to be able to do.

Finally, I think Texas sucks. I think they always sucked, and I was not impressed by them beating a Louisiana team that should not even be ranked in the top 40 let alone top 25. Their ranking last year was an anomaly from a Covid year. They shouldn't have been ranked last year either. So, them going into Fayetteville and losing is not a surprise. BUT, them going into Fayetteville and getting drug up and down the field was mildly surprising and I think it proves 2 things at once: Texas is awful and Sark has a LOT of work to do, and Arkansas is much improved and will be a really tough out for most of the SEC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"hE wOn A nAtTy" - Fithy casuals defending Orgeron
Jimbo Fisher has as many national titles as:
Gene Chizik
Bobby Ross
Larry Coker
Lloyd Carr
Phil Fulmer

I'm not trying to take anything at all away from the accomplishment, but go look at his record without Jameis Winston as his QB. So far he has been Gene Chizik, a guy who rode a controversial QB/Heisman winner to a title and has done nothing since.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.