Will Arky be able to hang with Georgia?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
No excuses? What are the expectations for Kirby? Georgia is frequently in the top three of the conference.
Based on his resume thus far he is right on par with what Richt did and he got fired. As an Alabama fan I don’t have any expectations for Kirby but I’m assuming UGA fans would like a ring with all of that talent he has collected over the past few years.

Would you give him an out if he loses to a former assistant with a significantly inferior talented team?

Keldeo

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2018
North Little Rock , AR
Arkansas fan here weighing in....

1. KJ and Burks look to be good to go. KJ might get limited practice but I don't think its a big deal.

2. Georgia's defense is going to be hard but at the same time the offenses they've play vs are below average at best. This will be the test to see how good they really are.

3. If Arkansas's DL dominates like it did vs A&M then I see no way (barring a turnover fest by Arkansas/ST mistakes) they win by more then one possession and will most likely end as a Arkansas win.

4. I think Arkansas has more depth then people think. Covid super seniors makes a difference. Another thing that's not talked about the Super seniors is the age gap. Some of these teams (including Arkansas) are running around with 23-24 year old gown men playing vs collage freshman/sophomore. This is one of the reason's why the least talented NFL team would curb stomp Bama/Georgia/whatever.

5. Speaking of depth, one place that can be exploited is STs. Well Arkansas have not been giving anyone a chance to exploit that. Only one kickoff return allowed all year (first one was vs A&M) and I can't remember the last punt return allowed.

6. I think Georgia will win but I think only 60/40 Georgia favored. Georgia's OL vs Arkansas's DL will decide the game as well as turnover's and if KJ can keep hitting explosive pass plays like he has all year.

Also here's a fun fact. Georgia is currently a 18 point favorite. The last time a top 10 Arkansas was a 18 point dog to the #2 team. 1978 Orange Bowl vs OU. Arkansas won 31-6

Another thing. This situation is very similar to 1998 game vs #1 Tennessee. Arkansas a top 10 unbeaten team after going 4-7 the previous year. This has Houston Nuts's first year (Its Sam's 2nd year but I guess you could argue that 2020 doesn't count). Was on the road in Knoxville. Nobody gave us a chance. We were one Fumble away from winning (Up 24-22 with 1:47 left and Tenn only having one timeout, one of Tenn's DL pushed back one of our OL causing our QB to trip and Fumble. Tenn drives down with the short field to score the game winning TD). Here's the play for anyone interested

Last edited:

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
A lot of people do not bet so would not care about the betting odds.
it just shows how unlikely the odds currently are of Arkansas pulling off an upset. Maybe it happens, but Vegas is not in the business of losing money. Vegas has an upset of ole miss over Alabama more likely than Arkansas over Georgia. The spread is also more narrow on that game. It’s why the games are played and not just predicted, but both upsets are unlikely

also to add, Georgia has been without starting tight end Darnell Washington who should return this week as well as defensive player tykee smith

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Despite their improvements, there are three teams Arkansas cannot beat this year: Florida (though they don't play UF this year), Georgia and Alabama. I do not think they are good enough or deep enough to beat these teams. Considering this game is in Athens, I give Arkansas less than 10% chance at winning the game. Would I love to see the piggies beat the doggies, sure, but I just don't see it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
it just shows how unlikely the odds currently are of Arkansas pulling off an upset. Maybe it happens, but Vegas is not in the business of losing money. Vegas has an upset of ole miss over Alabama more likely than Arkansas over Georgia. The spread is also more narrow on that game. It’s why the games are played and not just predicted, but both upsets are unlikely

also to add, Georgia has been without starting tight end Darnell Washington who should return this week as well as defensive player tykee smith
Thanks, but betting odds are not really about likelihood of outcome. Vegas does not guess who will win a game. They guess how much money will be bet on each side and set the lines to achieve equal betting on both sides. For Vegas, a perfect line is one which produces exactly the same amount of money risked on every possible outcome of a game. So, 7-1 money line means that they hope to get 1 $100 bet on Arkansas for every 7 $100 bets on Georgia. They pay out to the winners with money collected from the losers and keep the vig as guaranteed profit.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks, but betting odds are not really about likelihood of outcome. Vegas does not guess who will win a game. They guess how much money will be bet on each side and set the lines to achieve equal betting on both sides. For Vegas, a perfect line is one which produces exactly the same amount of money risked on every possible outcome of a game. So, 7-1 money line means that they hope to get 1 $100 bet on Arkansas for every 7 $100 bets on Georgia. They pay out to the winners with money collected from the losers and keep the vig as guaranteed profit.
that makes sense

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We'll see...

'Depth' didn't help either Texas or Texas A&M while they were getting punched in the mouth on both sides of the ball for 4 qtrs.
Maybe...but UT and TA&M are longtime grudge matches...UGA not so much. IMHO neither of those had the offense to consistently challenge Arky's defense. UGA does...they have improved over the last 3 weeks.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Maybe...but UT and TA&M are longtime grudge matches...UGA not so much. IMHO neither of those had the offense to consistently challenge Arky's defense. UGA does...they have improved over the last 3 weeks.
Maybe. I'm just not buying them yet until they do something against a team with a pulse.

Their last 3 games were against UAB, USCe and Vandy.

Their best win has been against Clemson who has now been completely exposed as a fraud.

If UGA can beat Arkansas they will have my attention.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Maybe. I'm just not buying them yet until they do something against a team with a pulse.

Their last 3 games were against UAB, USCe and Vandy.

Their best win has been against Clemson who has now been completely exposed as a fraud.

If UGA can beat Arkansas they will have my attention.
That's rational and reasonable...Vandy just never showed up at all...and the other 2 were outmanned athletically. The next 4 weeks will tell us a lot about the SEC.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.