DBs not playing the ball

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I can`t be the only one who cringes whenever the other team throws long. It may not be so in reality, but it seemed like 70-80% of the time the throw results in 1) A long completion or 2.) A PI call. I know they`re taught to keep looking at the receiver until " in phase " ( whatever the hell that is ). If that`s the case, our DBs seem to be either 1.) Seldom " in phase" or 2.) Don`t recognize when they are, because I swear I can count on one hand the number of times an Alabama DB actually looked back for the ball while running with a receiver. It must be a stunningly difficult position to play, although apparently Cicinnati figured it out.

Reactions: Tiderollin32

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I can`t be the only one who cringes whenever the other team throws long. It may not be so in reality, but it seemed like 70-80% of the time the throw results in 1) A long completion or 2.) A PI call. I know they`re taught to keep looking at the receiver until " in phase " ( whatever the hell that is ). If that`s the case, our DBs seem to be either 1.) Seldom " in phase" or 2.) Don`t recognize when they are, because I swear I can count on one hand the number of times an Alabama DB actually looked back for the ball while running with a receiver. It must be a stunningly difficult position to play, although apparently Cicinnati figured it out.
Well, to be fair if you are looking for the ball, then you aren't looking at the WR. Remember, the WR KNOWS where he is going while the DB DOESN'T. There are various moves that the WR can make that if you are looking for the ball, he is going in an entirely different direction and burns you really bad on the play. :cool:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, to be fair if you are looking for the ball, then you aren't looking at the WR. Remember, the WR KNOWS where he is going while the DB DOESN'T. There are various moves that the WR can make that if you are looking for the ball, he is going in an entirely different direction and burns you really bad on the play. :cool:
Well, then, I guess it`s boom or bust

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Well, then, I guess it`s boom or bust
Throwing mechanics and teaching have improved at a pace far greater than that of defensive coverage. A lot of the throws we see are almost perfect.

A lot of the pass interference that’s called shouldn’t be called because the ball is underthrown (I don’t care if the db isn’t looking). It’s just too easy for receivers to get open, now the full arm shove off isn’t called and the uncatchable ball is no longer called apparently. All this makes this issue much worse.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Saban did a tidbit with Finebaum several years ago about how he teaches the DB's to play the position. Initially talks about different schemes and then about responsiblities in those schemes. Then talks about staying in phase and reading the DB's eyes. Their eyes usually give away when the ball is coming. That is when they are supposed to turn around and find the ball.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Saban did a tidbit with Finebaum several years ago about how he teaches the DB's to play the position. Initially talks about different schemes and then about responsiblities in those schemes. Then talks about staying in phase and reading the WR's eyes. Their eyes usually give away when the ball is coming. That is when they are supposed to turn around and find the ball.
FIFY :cool:

Reactions: Con

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Saban did a tidbit with Finebaum several years ago about how he teaches the DB's to play the position. Initially talks about different schemes and then about responsiblities in those schemes. Then talks about staying in phase and reading the DB's eyes. Their eyes usually give away when the ball is coming. That is when they are supposed to turn around and find the ball.
Every wr must be blind cause we never turn around

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You know, I've been reading these things and defending Saban's teaching for years - the man has forgotten more about playing DB than I'll ever know - yet the difference between Bama's DBs generally 'running with the receiver and watching them attempt to catch the ball then tackling them' and some other teams DBs 'jumping in front of, raising arms, or even going after the ball' is hard to explain.

I simply don't understand why Bama's DBs so rarely challenge the WR for the ball.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You know, I've been reading these things and defending Saban's teaching for years - the man has forgotten more about playing DB than I'll ever know - yet the difference between Bama's DBs generally 'running with the receiver and watching them attempt to catch the ball then tackling them' and some other teams DBs 'jumping in front of, raising arms, or even going after the ball' is hard to explain.

I simply don't understand why Bama's DBs so rarely challenge the WR for the ball.
I’m beginning to think we slightly smaller, but faster , corners. Guys who aren’t spending all their energy just to keep up with a receiver. I know tall guys are preferred, but the taller guys don’t jump after the ball like you’re saying.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
There may be something there, but we also notice and remember the times they don't more than the times they do.
This is what I wonder all the time. Are we just more sensitive to it because it is our team and not other teams? Do we do it right sometimes and not others because of front 7 pressure?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think it is just a CB problem at Alabama, as your safeties are among the best every year.

I wonder if the problem at Alabama is the high turnover rate at CB. I mean, playing that position at a high level is one of the most difficult things asked of a player in this sport. And when a CB at Alabama gets good, they are gone. Rarely do they stay that 4th or 5th year. At other programs, CBs tend to stay longer and most won't even see their field until their junior season because it is so difficult to master.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think it is just a CB problem at Alabama, as your safeties are among the best every year.

I wonder if the problem at Alabama is the high turnover rate at CB. I mean, playing that position at a high level is one of the most difficult things asked of a player in this sport. And when a CB at Alabama gets good, they are gone. Rarely do they stay that 4th or 5th year. At other programs, CBs tend to stay longer and most won't even see their field until their junior season because it is so difficult to master.
Then I think of the way Kool-Aid came off the bench and cleanly broke up Auburn's last gasp pass attempt.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then I think of the way Kool-Aid came off the bench and cleanly broke up Auburn's last gasp pass attempt.
Some guys are very instinctual. Most have to learn the job. I also think that WRs who convert to the position have a slight edge as they know what a receiver will do and can anticipate better. But very few WRs want to flip over these days.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

So I went back to 2009 and looked at all the CB starters we've had. This is the list:

Kareem Jackson
Javy Arenas / Marquis Johnson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Dee Milliner
Dequan Menzie
Deion Belue
John Fulton
Cyrus Jones
Bradley Slyve / Marlon Humphrey
Marlon Humphrey
Anthony Averett
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Levi Wallace
Trevon Diggs
Saivon Smith / Patrick Surtain
Patrick Surtain
Josh Jobe
Jalyn Armour-Davis

Almost all these guys went on to play multiple years in the NFL. many of them are long time starters. Our CB coaching philosophy must being doing something right to get this many guys into the league.

IMHO, this topic pops up when we have a slightly down year at CB, which this was one of those years, especially with JAD and Jobe both playing a lot of this year dinged up. Honestly they just weren't really 'in-phase' as often as guys like Diggs and Surtain were. All being taught the same techniques, but some just have a bit better ability to execute that technique.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.