NCAA Portal Talk

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
They will be an early test and I hope Bama goes after them hard
I agree,especially on the road.I am sure The Tide,with all our experience and depth on defense,will get after this potentially talented offensive football team.We will/should have guys on all 3 levels who are going to turn teams over this year,and take some to the house.If we get the kind of CB play that am hoping,coupled with a guy or 2 emerging inside?(Burroughs?..Oatis?)Along with Dale and Smith to push that pocket from the interior..Look out!!...And stay healthy.

And I love our Opening game matchup with Utah State.They can play. They lost a lot of production but still have a veteran at QB and will have Coach's complete attention.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
The portal and money are ruining and changing college football as we know it. Enjoy it while we can.
This is what happens when adults let the kids run the daycare. Of course, they want money to buy toys. To take their ball and go somewhere else when a coach hurts their feelings. I wanted the same things when I was a selfish teenager/young adult, not old enough or mature enough to make the right decisions. The sport needs adults who have the student athlete's best interests in mind to make rules to protect the athletes and the sport.

Reactions: Bama9001

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is what happens when adults let the kids run the daycare. Of course, they want money to buy toys. To take their ball and go somewhere else when a coach hurts their feelings. I wanted the same things when I was a selfish teenager/young adult, not old enough or mature enough to make the right decisions. The sport needs adults who have the student athlete's best interests in mind to make rules to protect the athletes and the sport.
I'm an adult and I'd go gladly change companies for millions of dollars more...

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Leading INTO last season, Miami was "back", stud athletic QB, they were really going to give us a run, until they didn't.
Who said THE U was back?..Not me...All I said was they solidified themselves as the season ensued,and after they inserted Tyler Van Dyke behind center. Won 7 ballgames,5 of the last 8, and the 3 they lost were by a combined 8 points.I wasnt one who said they would give the Tide a ballgame even though Alabama was breaking in a LOT of different personnel,especially on offense.In fact I threw the points at Miami and won some decent cash before and in-game.

But Mario will pull some kids out of South Florida that Alabama would have/could have had. It will happen. Coach Robinson is the perfect recruiter down there to battle Mario and Coach Napier,and even Norvell and Gus.It will be interesting.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: BhamToTexas

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
NIL needs some regulation

He told ESPN this week that in the three or four days prior to the May 1 portal deadline, he received multiple six-figure offers via intermediaries from name, image and likeness companies to enter the portal and transfer. He said he was told NIL companies would give him $600,000 to transfer to one school and there was another deal that would give him $300,000 to go to a different school. Flowers had not entered the NCAA transfer portal, nor given any public indication he intended to.

Flowers declined to name the schools and said none of them contacted him directly, rather the "schools reached to people close to me." He told Boston College coach Jeff Hafley about the offers and ultimately decided to stay at BC

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
NIL needs some regulation

He told ESPN this week that in the three or four days prior to the May 1 portal deadline, he received multiple six-figure offers via intermediaries from name, image and likeness companies to enter the portal and transfer. He said he was told NIL companies would give him $600,000 to transfer to one school and there was another deal that would give him $300,000 to go to a different school. Flowers had not entered the NCAA transfer portal, nor given any public indication he intended to.

Flowers declined to name the schools and said none of them contacted him directly, rather the "schools reached to people close to me." He told Boston College coach Jeff Hafley about the offers and ultimately decided to stay at BC
Friggin free for all.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
So we put on the fat just to trim it 4 months later? Sound odd.
It don't sound odd to me. Shore had a couple of months to impress and make relationships, but I think he realized his chances of meaningful playing time would be shorter than he wanted. Lots of talent in the room will limit playing time for the less talented.

• Sad
Reactions: AlBamaWagg

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It don't sound odd to me. Shore had a couple of months to impress and make relationships, but I think he realized his chances of meaningful playing time would be shorter than he wanted. Lots of talent in the room will limit playing time for the less talented.
The kid was struggling with mental health issues. Depression, anxiety, among other things. He took to Twitter to state he was taking time away from football to get healthy. He thanked the university for all the help and support they had given him over the last several months.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Since we basically have NFL lite with the transfer portal and with N-I-L deals and collectives I'm wondering when teams are going to be allowed to "cut" players to save "cap space" i.e. Scholarship limits. Seems like something has to be done with either the total number of players or the 25 limit rule needs to be done away with.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Since we basically have NFL lite with the transfer portal and with N-I-L deals and collectives I'm wondering when teams are going to be allowed to "cut" players to save "cap space" i.e. Scholarship limits. Seems like something has to be done with either the total number of players or the 25 limit rule needs to be done away with.
Coaches can already do that as technically scholarships are for 1 year only. Very few enforce that as it hurts recruiting of the lesser developed talents...

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
The kid was struggling with mental health issues. Depression, anxiety, among other things. He took to Twitter to state he was taking time away from football to get healthy. He thanked the university for all the help and support they had given him over the last several months.
I wonder if we have a psych on staff to help the athletes or maybe use a doc on staff at the university.

Reactions: seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.