Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think Saban is the master of pointing out issues and then capitalizing on them. He was against the Transfer Portal. However, I believe we have more than benefitted from it as well.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If the greatest college coach of all time can’t call out this nonsense, then who can? Out of control NiL deals is a big deal. Saban obviously loves college football enough to take the point on this. People had to be named.

Notice Jimbo didn’t deny it.
Just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think he should have been so specific. I think it was a bad move

Reactions: GP for Bama

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
No one wins this type of back and forth. Bad look for the SEC.
Well your boosters shouldn’t have dumped $25 million into the highest ranked recruiting class in history the first year it was legal to. If you don’t think that won’t unite the rest of college football against you, you’re mistaken. Baby steps should’ve been taken, but I guess you guys aren’t used to being subtle.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Part of the reason Saban may be dropping this media bomb is that if recruiting turns into an arms race of money, we will severely lose to aTm and the Longhorns and it won't ever be close, ever.
People keep saying this as if there isn't a practical limit to how much money will be spent...

Hint: there is.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think one thing to keep in mind, is money may bring recruits that otherwise wouldn't have gone there, but it doesn't guarantee success or that they will actually succeed. Giving a kid that type of money is no different than a professional athlete who is given the historical mega deal. They tend to never play as well after the big money as they did before they got it. There are fundamentals of human nature that never change, and this is one of them...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
When you can’t refute a claim against you, you attack the character of your accuser.

So Fisher’s momma would have slapped him for *checks notes* pointing out a rival is cheating?

That makes no damn sense. It doesn’t even logically flow in the conversation.

I have no idea where this is going to go. Cheating or not, buffoon or not, the talent he has landed is real and they did beat us a year ago. They might do it again. But damn if I’m ever going to respect Dumbo Fisher. Someone else said it but Kirby’s got nothing on this dunce.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
practical limit? what does that mean? What's practical to you may not be for me.
We're not going to see NFL-like numbers in CFB, so that's one limit. I'd argue the realistic sustainable limit will be about 10-15% of the NFL cap of $200m. So $20-30 million per year is likely the limit, and even that is probably high over the near term.

Now work backwards from there to see how many teams can afford to play that game.

It's a lot more than texas and texas-lite.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I think we all knew that NIL would quickly turn into "legal" inducements for recruits.
We are now in a period of unrestricted "bidding" for the best players.
The NCAA seems to have no teeth . I'm not sure of the answer.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Good grief, the tone of Jimbo's presser. He's repeated the word despicable six or seven times in reference to Saban.
Implying Saban is dirty and always has been.

He seems steamed Saban is recognized as the goat and is just childishly jealous.

I haven't felt this way towards A&M since they snaked Fran.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.