SI: A Candid Lane Kiffin on NIL, Recruiting and Boosters: ‘We’re a Professional Sport’

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Solid read here.

A Candid Lane Kiffin on NIL, Recruiting and Boosters: ‘We’re a Professional Sport’

I can recruit way better than you or you can me, but in the end, your school offers more money or mine does, and in the end, that’s where they are going. I could have worked my butt off for three years, and you could have done three minutes. There was a player who went to a school that we got beat on, and I asked him about the relationship with the head coach. He had never talked to him. NIL.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
People always ask me when Nick Saban will retire. Before, I said, ‘Not for a long time.’ He’s driven and he works like he’s 30. Now, it’ll be never. Why would he? You get the best players, have free agency to pluck the best players.

He’ll be there forever. He might double his championships.
Yeah, Texas A&M. Nick Saban is scared. :rolleyes:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Good stuff. Hope Lane's prediction is correct. Nick stays at Alabama forever and doubles his championships!
Whoa, if that means he stays here FOREVER and ONLY gets 7 more NCs, then something is horribly wrong. Forever is a long time. Now if he stays here 10 more years and gets 7 more NCs, then that's more than incredible.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Can someone explain to me how the law here in Alabama is hurting the in state schools in regards to NIL. I have heard some people mentioning that other states' schools have an advantage over Alabama state schools due to differences in state laws.

Reactions: MemphisBamaDude

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Can someone explain to me how the law here in Alabama is hurting the in state schools in regards to NIL. I have heard some people mentioning that other states' schools have an advantage over Alabama state schools due to differences in state laws.
Here is an article stating what we had and what we have now to be more competitive with states who had much better laws in place. I don't know how close our revised law is to say Texas.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One disadvantage is that AL has a state income tax (5%) while some surrounding states (Fl, TN, TX) do not.
It’s why contracts in professional sports are so huge in numbers in California and New York while Florida, Vegas, and Texas are generally lower because of no income tax.

But also consider that Texas has an insane Sales Tax rate. The other non state income tax states also have high sales taxes as well. So it’s a give and take. Yes you get a lot up front but you are spending out the butt to live there. Why anyone would live in California with their taxes is beyond me.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It’s why contracts in professional sports are so huge in numbers in California and New York while Florida, Vegas, and Texas are generally lower because of no income tax.

But also consider that Texas has an insane Sales Tax rate. The other non state income tax states also have high sales taxes as well. So it’s a give and take. Yes you get a lot up front but you are spending out the butt to live there. Why anyone would live in California with their taxes is beyond me.
There's nothing more regressive than a high sales tax rate. One day the poor will realize this and see they have been ripped of for so many years.

Reactions: dtgreg

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Along the thinking of NIL at SEC Media Days.I dont believe I have EVER in my long lifetime seen a guy who looks "less" of what he does, and is, than Mizzu H.C. Eli Drinkwitz....I mean I believe he is doing somewhat of a solid job in an almost impossible and incredibly difficult environment and Conference..But he looks about as much like a Major College football Coach in THE SEC as Dumbo Fisher looks like the 2023 Graduation speaker at Harvard University. Maybe you really cant judge the package by the wrapping.

• Haha
Reactions: Bill from NYC

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
One disadvantage is that AL has a state income tax (5%) while some surrounding states (Fl, TN, TX) do not.
This is a big one. Those other states keep adding population as well. Alabama's population, as a state, is growing larger at a much smaller clip, and starting from a FAR lower number. Without Nick Saban and his success at Alabama, I believe the University itself would have fallen behind a number of other state schools in the region. I suppose much of the credit for hiring Coach Saban falls on Coach Mal Moore, and the ideas of building up the school's facilities for students in general. Coach Moore really made Tuscaloosa a better place.

Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.