Katie Boyd Britt in US Senate Race for Shelby’s Seat

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maggie my British Shorthair cat is smarter than Brooks. But I knew that before the election.

I’m still disappointed that Britt sought Trump’s endorsement. But with her margin of victory and the unlikelihood of Trump surviving her 6-year term, I’m hopeful she’ll realize she can be herself and not need to kiss Trump’s ring anymore.

The hope is that she’ll be more like Shelby or other Reagan-type Republicans. We’ll have to see on that.

I know for a stone cold fact Brooks would have been an embarrassment. So I’m good with the outcome, acknowledging that my enthusiasm waned as Britt’s campaign ran its course.
Even though he hates Trump himself, I'm fairly convinced that Dick told her to do what she had to do - kiss the ring - and get into office first and foremost. She really is his protege'. I know him better than most, having been in law school with him and being friends. Once, I had a friend who's also a client going to DC to meet with him on behalf of a local business. I asked him to say hello. Later, I asked him what was said. He told me that he not only remembered me, he recounted some of my most embarrassing moments, like the time in the homecoming parade when I left the law school flat bed float to visit a service station restroom, and never managed to catch back up with it, running full speed behind it in my morning coat tails and top hat all the way back to the law school... :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Even though he hates Trump himself, I'm fairly convinced that Dick told her to do what she had to do - kiss the ring - and get into office first and foremost. She really is his protege'. I know him better than most, having been in law school with him and being friends. Once, I had a friend who's also a client going to DC to meet with him on behalf of a local business. I asked him to say hello. Later, I asked him what was said. He told me that he not only remembered me, he recounted some of my most embarrassing moments, like the time in the homecoming parade when I left the law school flat bed float to visit a service station restroom, and never managed to catch back up with it, running full speed behind it in my morning coat tails and top hat all the way back to the law school... :)
Come on, Earle…The Law School of the day, Farrah Hall, was a lot closer to the parade route than today’s Law School is.

Unless you started in downtown Tuscaloosa, you may have run a few blocks. You didn’t run clear past what was then Thomas Field Apartments (post WWII married student housing), and is now occupied by Coleman Coliseum, on your way to the current Law School.

BTW, my first sighting of Mrs. Basket Case was a Homecoming morning. She was an over-served first-year on the Law School float seeking sustenance.

Her then-boyfriend and I were fraternity brothers, and they found solid food at the fraternity house. I remembered her as a cute drunk.

It was only years later, after several intervening relationships for both of us, that we re-connected.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Law School of the day, Farrah Hall, was a lot closer to the parade route than today’s Law School is.

You may have run a few blocks. You didn’t run clear past what was then Thomas Field Apartments (post WWII married student housing), and is now occupied by Coleman Coliseum, on your way to the current Law School.

BTW, my first sighting of Mrs. Basket Case was a Homecoming morning. She was an over-served first-year on the Law School float seeking sustenance.

Her then-boyfriend and I were fraternity brothers, and they found solid food at the fraternity house. I remembered her as a cute drunk.

It was only years later, after several intervening relationships for both of us, that we re-connected.
It was Farrah. It was 1961. There used to be a service station on the left, just before the campus proper started on the return leg of the parade...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I wonder how extreme Britt’s views on abortion are. It looks like the Senate is the key to making abortion legal, is there a chance Britt might not echo the party line on this topic? Maybe if several thousand people marched appealing to her, she would be aware how angry women are over this forced birth ruling.
is there a chance she might be in the persuadable camp with (cough cough) Collins and Murkowski, or she she more like Marsha Blackburn?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I wonder how extreme Britt’s views on abortion are. It looks like the Senate is the key to making abortion legal, is there a chance Britt might not echo the party line on this topic? Maybe if several thousand people marched appealing to her, she would be aware how angry women are over this forced birth ruling.
is there a chance she might be in the persuadable camp with (cough cough) Collins and Murkowski, or she she more like Marsha Blackburn?
lol

she is a christian zealot no different from any of them

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Britt ran pretty heavily on being a mother and being pro-life.

I personally got really worn out with the, "As a mother....As a mama on a mission...." aspect to her campaign. As if the fact that she's birthed two children made the ensuing statement, whatever it was, Incontrovertible Truth, and therefore Beyond Challenge. To me, it sounded like a Little League Karen in a dustup over the practice schedule, and I thought that bringing motherhood into the discussion was just unbecoming the office she was seeking. I mean, when's the last time you saw a male candidate cite being a father as a primary qualification for office?

Sorry for the digression....I don't think Britt's as ideological on other points that are often perceived as going hand-in-hand with a pro-life stance. But I'm not sure she can maintain a sliver of credibility and vote in favor of abortion, especially so soon after being nominated / elected. She might support an out for rape, incest or life of the mother. Maybe. But I'm not certain on even that.

IOW, I think Britt is persuadable on a lot of things, but probably not this one.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It’s hard to believe there are Republican women who are comfortable no longer having the final say about their bodies with something as personal as getting pregnant.

kind of like telling women they aren’t fit to be Priests.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92tide

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, but I would be interested to know how many who are still in childbearing days feel this way?

Waay too many people with no standing on this issue getting input...

It’s hard to believe there are Republican women who are comfortable no longer having the final say about their bodies with something as personal as getting pregnant.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

it's their religion that is being used to justify this. i guess that gives them even more comfort

Reactions: Jon

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
IOW, I think Britt is persuadable on a lot of things, but probably not this one.
Are you speaking in general terms or do you have any particular examples in mind? I can’t think of a single thing.
I think you misunderstand her still, and overestimate her. Much like when you predicted she would debate rings around Brooks and also remain independent from Trump. I’m not holding my breath that she will ever do anything that might appear moderate, or from my perspective, even reasonable. She has shown who she is and I believe her.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Are you speaking in general terms or do you have any particular examples in mind? I can’t think of a single thing.
I think you misunderstand her still, and overestimate her. Much like when you predicted she would debate rings around Brooks and also remain independent from Trump. I’m not holding my breath that she will ever do anything that might appear moderate, or from my perspective, even reasonable. She has shown who she is and I believe her.
Yeah, at the time I made that prediction, I had more faith than I do now. Still, given a choice between Britt as she ran her campaign vs. Mo Brooks (dumb, irascible, ineffective, and an embarrassment waiting to happen) vs. Mike Durant (covered up the sexual abuse of his sister at the hands of their father), I’m going with Britt.

I’m hoping, maybe naively, that she’s more her political mentor, Richard Shelby, v2. Right now, all we really have are her campaign ads. How much of their content (a lot of which greatly disappointed me) was designed to get elected vs. how much is predictive of future action is the real question.

Others have speculated, and I’m hopeful that they’re right, that they were more the former than the latter. We’ll have to see.

I know you don’t like Britt, and have stated valid reasons for that. Would you have preferred Brooks or Durant?

Reactions: seebell

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They were all a disaster. The up side of Brooks would be he would prove to be an even worse embarrassment for the GOP and would likely tick off Republicans as often as he would Dems. Durant, with not as much political experience, might not hit the ground running the way the other two might.

I don’t mean to personalize it, but I feel a strong frustration with people who seem to be reasonable people but still feel inclined to vote for a Party I think has gone off the rails. They’ve scrapped decency and good policy and respect for democracy for the opposite. Much like how Susan Collins kept pretending her Surpreme Court votes were appropriate and how she always expected them to have been honest about honoring Roe’s precedent.

Britt shows more respect for Trump than she does Dems.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I understand the argument: pick one and vote, otherwise you are just throwing stones from the bleachers and not offering anything constructive. That argument certainly has merit.
I wish I wasn’t so absolutely appalled by the modern version of the GOP that I could do that.

it’s a neat trick to ask for the endorsement of a man who brags about grabbing women by their genitals, but then act like you are above such vulgarities. If a reporter ever asked her directly if she worried Trump might grab her when she made her pilgrimage to Florida, she would be ever so offended at the question. Never mind who the original suggestion came from.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Jon, 92tide and UAH

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They were all a disaster. The up side of Brooks would be he would prove to be an even worse embarrassment for the GOP and would likely tick off Republicans as often as he would Dems. Durant, with not as much political experience, might not hit the ground running the way the other two might.

I don’t mean to personalize it, but I feel a strong frustration with people who seem to be reasonable people but still feel inclined to vote for a Party I think has gone off the rails. They’ve scrapped decency and good policy and respect for democracy for the opposite. Much like how Susan Collins kept pretending her Surpreme Court votes were appropriate and how she always expected them to have been honest about honoring Roe’s precedent.

Britt shows more respect for Trump than she does Dems.
I get your point but would suggest directing your frustration at the DNC and the Alabama Democratic Party.

The DNC has effectively ceded Alabama to the Republicans. It provides funding for Democratic candidates for state-wide office that ranges between (1) non-existent and (2) wholly inadequate. The Alabama Democratic Party is such a ^%!@*(&^ show that the national leadership (quite rightly, IMO) views this as their most logical move.

As for me personally, I voted for Doug Jones because Roy Moore was such an abomination, and for Jones again over Tuberville. I didn't vote for President in 2020 because I could stomach neither Trump nor Biden. I regularly support Walt Harris for Mayor of Tuscaloosa. In another thread, I've laid out a laundry list of ideas that are consistent with Democratic principles and would appeal to the middle 2/3 of the electorate.

So interpreting my support for Katie Britt (waning though it was late in the campaign) as knee-jerk reaction in favor of any candidate with an R in front of his or her name, is simply not consistent with the facts.

Give me a viable Democratic candidate with funding that indicates that the Democratic Party leadership actually believes in him or her, and a pro-business, common-sense platform, and there's a good chance I'll support that candidate.

Oh, and a 3-digit IQ, some semblance of an ability to work with others, and preferably not someone who tried to protect an incestuous child molester. All that would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chukker Veteran

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I remember how the last Dem Governor was treated. But I agree, the state Dem party has given up. Trainwreck.
Not being able to decide which to vote for…Biden or Trump…kind of makes the argument I was making about sitting out the Senate race this time.
I can’t imagine not being able to pick a candidate given a choice between Biden and Trump. You had already seen four years of Trump.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get your point but would suggest directing your frustration at the DNC and the Alabama Democratic Party.

The DNC has effectively ceded Alabama to the Republicans. It provides funding for Democratic candidates for state-wide office that ranges between (1) non-existent and (2) wholly inadequate. The Alabama Democratic Party is such a ^%!@*(&^ show that the national leadership (quite rightly, IMO) views this as their most logical move.

As for me personally, I voted for Doug Jones because Roy Moore was such an abomination, and for Jones again over Tuberville. I didn't vote for President in 2020 because I could stomach neither Trump nor Biden. I regularly support Walt Harris for Mayor of Tuscaloosa. In another thread, I've laid out a laundry list of ideas that are consistent with Democratic principles and would appeal to the middle 2/3 of the electorate.

So interpreting my support for Katie Britt (waning though it was late in the campaign) as knee-jerk reaction in favor of any candidate with an R in front of his or her name, is simply not consistent with the facts.

Give me a viable Democratic candidate with funding that indicates that the Democratic Party leadership actually believes in him or her, and a pro-business, common-sense platform, and there's a good chance I'll support that candidate.

Oh, and a 3-digit IQ, some semblance of an ability to work with others, and preferably not someone who tried to protect an incestuous child molester. All that would be nice.
A lot of the support for democratic candidates in Alabama died with Siegleman. It still hasn’t recovered.

• Thank You

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I talked with Parker Griffith several times when he was running for Governor. I expressed extreme displeasure with his party flipping antics but he knew he had my vote anyway.
He was a pathetic candidate.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I remember how the last Dem Governor was treated. But I agree, the state Dem party has given up. Trainwreck.
Not being able to decide which to vote for…Biden or Trump…kind of makes the argument I was making about sitting out the Senate race this time.
I can’t imagine not being able to pick a candidate given a choice between Biden and Trump. You had already seen four years of Trump.
Sigelman was still competitive against Riley in the re-election. But the fraud and Health South Scandal just destroyed trust. Then the Democrats just send Weenie after Weenie to get beat. I mean I couldn’t tell you who is running vs Ivey or Britt. Walt might have stood the best chance since Don, and he got creamed.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the democratic party in georgia was an absolute joke statewide from 2002 til about 2016/7. in 2018, lucy mcbath won the ga 6th which had been gerrymandered as a safe gop district in 2010 and stacey abrams ran an extremely competitive race in 2018. then 2020 happened.

so it can be done.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.