SCOTUS and Roe - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Lest anyone think I am being hyperbolic in my previous post:
During debate in the Oklahoma Senate on the strictest of the bans, Republican Sen. Warren Hamilton said he did not think the measure went far enough because it allowed abortions in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, a life-threatening medical emergency in which an embryo is growing outside the uterus.

That has horrified some medical professionals. "The fallopian tube and other places a pregnancy can implant cannot support a pregnancy," Dr. Iman Alsaden, an OB-GYN and medical director of Planned Parenthood Great Plains, told reporters at a news conference May 19. "If you continue to let these pregnancies happen, there will be no viable baby afterwards. What will happen is [the fallopian tube] will burst and people will bleed to death."

At the same time, an increasing number of state legislatures are contemplating bans that do not include exceptions for the health (as opposed to the life) of the pregnant person

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Lest anyone think I am being hyperbolic in my previous post:
During debate in the Oklahoma Senate on the strictest of the bans, Republican Sen. Warren Hamilton said he did not think the measure went far enough because it allowed abortions in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, a life-threatening medical emergency in which an embryo is growing outside the uterus.

That has horrified some medical professionals. "The fallopian tube and other places a pregnancy can implant cannot support a pregnancy," Dr. Iman Alsaden, an OB-GYN and medical director of Planned Parenthood Great Plains, told reporters at a news conference May 19. "If you continue to let these pregnancies happen, there will be no viable baby afterwards. What will happen is [the fallopian tube] will burst and people will bleed to death."

At the same time, an increasing number of state legislatures are contemplating bans that do not include exceptions for the health (as opposed to the life) of the pregnant person

i'm interested to see how much religious zealotry all of the both sides are equally bad folks are willing to accept in their government

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Another example:

Missouri wants to ban abortion for ectopic pregnancies
In March, Missouri state representative Brian Seitz proposed an abortion bill that would criminalize all abortions after 10 weeks of pregnancy. There would be no exceptions for ectopic pregnancies, which can be deadly for pregnant people if left untreated, Insider previously reported.

If the bill, called House Bill No. 2810, becomes law, anyone who violates it — through selling, buying, or using abortion care devices or drugs — could go to prison for up to 15 years.

If a person is found performing an abortion or seeking one due to an
ectopic pregnancy
, they could go to prison for up to 30 years, the bill says. There's no exception for sex trafficking victims who request an abortion after an ectopic pregnancy, Insider previously reported.

• Angry
Reactions: Jon and TexasBama

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The state laws banning people from traveling to other states to get an abortion should get interesting. Also curious how it will go if you go to a state where abortion is legal, get a legal Rx of a federally approved drug, then travel back home and induce a miscarriage. Are you going to have the state police at the hospital with a warrant for a blood test?

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The state laws banning people from traveling to other states to get an abortion should get interesting. Also curious how it will go if you go to a state whefire abortion is legal, get a legal Rx, then travel back home and induce a miscarriage. Are you going to have the state police at the hospital with a warrant for a blood test?
there absolutely will be women prosecuted

we had a miscarriage at around 18 weeks went to the Dr for a regular check up and no heartbeat. One of the worst experiences in my life. Wife had to have a DnC to remove the fetus, an abortion, a procedure that is now illegal in several states that could result in prosecution. This baby was very wanted and my wife and I mourned him/her for months. This was 19 years ago and honestly it still hurts if when we think about it. All that said it would be so much worse today, Drs afraid to perform the procedure, potential criminal ramifications, having to travel to get it done, all of it. Even this for us is still far easier than it would be for someone who lacks the resources we have. I am beyond disgusted

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
[
there absolutely will be women prosecuted

we had a miscarriage at around 18 weeks went to the Dr for a regular check up and no heartbeat. One of the worst experiences in my life. Wife had to have a DnC to remove the fetus, an abortion, a procedure that is now illegal in several states that could result in prosecution. This baby was very wanted and my wife and I mourned him/her for months. This was 19 years ago and honestly it still hurts if when we think about it. All that said it would be so much worse today, Drs afraid to perform the procedure, potential criminal ramifications, having to travel to get it done, all of it. Even this for us is still far easier than it would be for someone who lacks the resources we have. I am beyond disgusted
a couple we know (catholic and fairly pro life) had to carry their stillborn fetus (i think it happened at 4-5 months) for around a month as they were trying to navigate how to deal with it. i can't imagine the horror.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Health, Rape, and incest: Castle Doctrine should apply
Eleven states impose some level of a duty to retreat in public settings under most circumstances. 39 states have enshrined into law that citizens have no duty to retreat and you may instead "stand your ground" in public settings when threatened with harm.
NO state enforces a duty to retreat in your own home. Put another way, despite a general prohibition on killing, any citizen who kills an intruder in their home because they feel threatened with harm is justified in that taking of life. The castle doctrine states your home is yours and no one may invade that space without risking their very life.
And yet many states (including Alabama), thanks to the green light from SCOTUS, have made it against the law for a woman to defend her own body from intruders in cases of rape and incest and even when they have reason to believe their health will be harmed.
This is not in keeping with "ordered liberty". This is inconsistent with laws upholding the right of people to protect their life, health, and bodily integrity in their homes and often times in public settings - and to do so with deadly force.
You can't say with a straight face that one has the right to take a life in one context in order to preserve their rights to life, health, and bodily integrity and prohibit one from acting to defend those very same rights in another context.
While I can understand that a fetus in such cases did not make a conscious decision to invade the woman's body, we must also recognize that the woman in such cases also did not invite it in and she retains the right to remove the intruder in order to protect the integrity of her own body. If we are to call this a "killing" or "taking of life", then the woman in such circumstances is fully justified in doing so.
Furthermore, we must not give the rapist such control over a woman that he would force her, by the very act of raping her, to carry his child to term and potentially to raise it to adulthood. We must not allow his torment to continue months and even years after the chain of events began when he forced his intrusion - and the fetus' intrusion - upon her.
https://www.uslawshield.com/duty-to-retreat/

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
[

a couple we know (catholic and fairly pro life) had to carry their stillborn fetus (i think it happened at 4-5 months) for around a month as they were trying to navigate how to deal with it. i can't imagine the horror.
we were in Ireland in 2019 and a woman died of sepsis from exactly this, it is what changed their law finally. Of course we don't change laws when children are nearly decapitated by an assault rifle so I don't expect the pro-life crowd to care about the women

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
they value life so much they don't care who they have to kill to show it

From the article

" In the last 43 years, anti-abortion activists have committed at least 11 murders, 26 attempted murders, 956 known threats of harm or death, 614 stalking incidents and four kidnappings, according to the National Abortion Federation. The supposedly “pro-life” movement has bombed 42 abortion clinics, set fire to 194 and made 667 bomb threats. "

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
they value life so much they don't care who they have to kill to show it

Eric Robert Rudolph could only be prouder if the truck driver had actually killed someone(s) in the name of the pro-life movement.

Strange sidetrack:

I had a few run-ins with the guy. During the last one he had just gotten on the interstate heading toward NC after setting off the bomb- and let's just say the sorry sack couldn't drive worth a flip. Very quickly he saw a cop on the side of the road after speeding and erratic lane changes that very nearly caused a collision so he slowed down directly in front of me. As we passed I looked over and declared to Mrs. NT18 that he probably was the bomber making his getaway. His driving was suspicious and he looked like a complete creep when I read his face. She chalked it up to me being mad at his erratic driving and having the flu. Later, when we figured it out we were both horrified and amused. I also threw in an I told you so. ;) The really weird thing to me was the first time I actually saw him face to face he looked like an old friend of mine from (wait for it) NC by an entirely different name and once I approached and said hello I realized my mistake and apologized. That encounter did lead to the FBI getting video that helped establish that he had been casing the area for quite some time.

BTW, he is appealing his plea and sentence.

Reactions: 92tide

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Eric Robert Rudolph could only be prouder if the truck driver had actually killed someone(s) in the name of the pro-life movement.

Strange sidetrack:

I had a few run-ins with the guy. During the last one he had just gotten on the interstate heading toward NC after setting off the bomb- and let's just say the sorry sack couldn't drive worth a flip. Very quickly he saw a cop on the side of the road after speeding and erratic lane changes that very nearly caused a collision so he slowed down directly in front of me. As we passed I looked over and declared to Mrs. NT18 that he probably was the bomber making his getaway. His driving was suspicious and he looked like a complete creep when I read his face. She chalked it up to me being mad at his erratic driving and having the flu. Later, when we figured it out we were both horrified and amused. I also threw in an I told you so. ;) The really weird thing to me was the first time I actually saw him face to face he looked like an old friend of mine from (wait for it) NC by an entirely different name and once I approached and said hello I realized my mistake and apologized. That encounter did lead to the FBI getting video that helped establish that he had been casing the area for quite some time.

BTW, he is appealing his plea and sentence.
wow

he was caught going through a dumpster a couple of miles from my brothers house in Western NC. Brother swears he and several other neighbors had seen him around but up there hermits tend to pop up now and again coming off the trails so no one took much notice until after he was caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.