AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
And that horrendous number was with the benefit of a highly mobile QB. Without Young, it would have been materially worse.

A true drop-back passer probably wouldn’t have made it through the season
It may have been different with a different quarterback. Defenses decided what did they have to lose trying to stop Young. So they blitzed and blitzed.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Everything keys on the running game. If you don't have a running game people fear they can relentlessly blitz and the math doesn't work out for the offense on that sort of thing. No matter how good your protections are you're not going to catch it all. So if they can get back to being able to make a crease on first down runs and get 4.5+ yards out of it, and to also be able to get a high percentage of the 3rd and 1 plays, a QB as talented as Young will go nuclear runaway process on their secondary, and there isn't anything they can do to stop it.

Reactions: dtgreg and UAH

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I have a feeling this year's OL is going to be nasty.

If so, coach O'Brien will suddenly look pretty amazing...

And if I'm right about the OL, this team won't be beaten.
If the O line can take it up a notch or two from last year we`ll be hard to handle alright. We had the most inconsistent, poorest line play in CNS`s tenure so far. And with that we won the conference championship and took Georgia into the last quarter of the national championship game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You know it is a BAMA problem when we had a Heisman winning QB and we still talk about the OC not being that great. I love being an Alabama fan.
I stoped trying to defend him last season as so many seemed to believe it was purely play-calling that was the issue, not the fact the OL was pretty regularly getting whipped...

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I stoped trying to defend him last season as so many seemed to believe it was purely play-calling that was the issue, not the fact the OL was pretty regularly getting whipped...
Crazy to think even with all the O-line problems. Bama still finished 7th in total offense and 6th in points per game in 2021.

Reactions: 4Bama

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So maybe we should cut him a break or give him a mulligan. lol

The only thing I was really critical of with O'Brien is leaving Bryce alone in the shotgun when it became obvious Our o-line couldn't stop any kind of pass rush.
Add in that BOB didn't leverage the short routes as much and often his route designs required a LONG time to break open, which is really hard with a less than good OL.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Add in that BOB didn't leverage the short routes as much and often his route designs required a LONG time to break open, which is really hard with a less than good OL.
Not to get off topic, but that's the thing I have noticed with a lot of these NFL coordinators who come back to college. "This system works in the NFL and by god it's going to work in college even if it's clearly not working on the field right now" I know Kiffin has a lot of flaws but one thing I liked about his time at Bama was his ability to adapt his style of offense to strengths of the team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Not to get off topic, but that's the thing I have noticed with a lot of these NFL coordinators who come back to college. "This system works in the NFL and by god it's going to work in college even if it's clearly not working on the field right now" I know Kiffin has a lot of flaws but one thing I liked about his time at Bama was his ability to adapt his style of offense to strengths of the team.
Glad to be rid of that guy. The OL guy.

Hoping O'Brien does indeed prove to be better with a better OL. I'm still bristling over some of his calls, in situations like 3rd and short or goal line, even considering the horrible OL play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.