BOB`s Last Season As OC At Alabama?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That’s what gets me. I saw a comment on this board and another one suggesting Saban and BOB are buddies or something and we were entering the end of the dynasty comparing it to the end of bear Bryant’s run cause “Saban can’t see the problems at all” and I am just thinking “so if we fire Bob in week 3..who is supposed to take over???” Before anyone jumps down my throat I want Bob gone also but realistically what is saban supposed to do in week 4 of a season?? Who would take over If we fired Bob tomorrow???
There is nothing to be done this season. We are talking because what else are we going to do? But we will make it or not with BoB. I figure he’s gone at the end of the year, regardless. He will find another HC job or an NFL OC job.

Coach Saban realizes how recruiting is critically tied to all of this. So I believe he will correct course after this season. In the mean time, I just hope BoB will tweak things. Cant do much more than that.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
And by "they" who is he talking about and why did it take until the fourth quarter to make this adjustment?

By "they" he meant, "I finally had to get on the headset with BOB and tell him the adjustment to make after three quarters of what we were doing not working." THAT is what is packed into that statement. He's not going to call out his OC in public but it is very easy to read between the lines to what he's saying.
Coach Saban may have heard me hollering at my TV.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here’s what gets me. CNS has said repeatedly that new coaches come in and learn Alabama’s playbook and terminology, not the other way around.
Sure, he lets them add things to the playbook. It’s not like all the plays Kiffen and Sark ran were thrown out the window. The material is there, BoB just needs to study for the test
I've also mentioned this multiple times lately. Where are those plays we ran under Kiffin and Sark. CNS called these plays the Bama offense. He said BOB was coming in to run that offense?

We've got video down there in T-town right?

A 13 year old boy could implement some of those plays into the offense if they were OC. It's not rocket science...it's stubbornness and unwillingness on BOB's part.

Having said all that, the real puzzle for me is where is CNS in this process of turning less dynamic on offense? How long would it take for BOB to get the message if that's what CNS wanted?

Someone proposed this question earlier in the thread, but the fact the offense has looked so vanilla and unimaginative makes me wonder. This is the CNS who was willing to move from a pretty methodical offense with QBs like GMac and AJ to more wide open passing with Tua and BY (at least last year). I don't think there's any way he'd intentionally want to rewind to a less dynamic passing attack.

Reactions: Tug Tide

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I've also mentioned this multiple times lately. Where are those plays we ran under Kiffin and Sark. CNS called these plays the Bama offense. He said BOB was coming in to run that offense?

We've got video down there in T-town right?

A 13 year old boy could implement some of those plays into the offense if they were OC. It's not rocket science...it's stubbornness and unwillingness on BOB's part.

Having said all that, the real puzzle for me is where is CNS in this process of turning less dynamic on offense? How long would it take for BOB to get the message if that's what CNS wanted?

Someone proposed this question earlier in the thread, but the fact the offense has looked so vanilla and unimaginative makes me wonder. This is the CNS who was willing to move from a pretty methodical offense with QBs like GMac and AJ to more wide open passing with Tua and BY (at least last year). I don't think there's any way he'd intentionally want to rewind to a less dynamic passing attack.
Its to the point that if it looks like BOB has watched film of the other team we'd be pleasantly surprised. For me....I'd love to see that he's watched enough Bama film to break his own awful tendencies. Just don't think we will see that this year.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
You could literally spend all week on the golf course and call the game the way BOB does...

What we are seeing is a lack preparation on the part of BOB. He has the ingenuity from his many years of experience. This is an initiative issue on the part of BOB. Saban is treating him as professional and letting him hang himself in his search for future opportunities.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I am pretty sure Nick Saban likes winning. I am also pretty sure that he is smart enough to understand the reason he has won all of his titles since 2012 is because of the offense. I don't think that being buddies with BOB will keep Saban from getting rid of him at the end of this year.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I am pretty sure Nick Saban likes winning. I am also pretty sure that he is smart enough to understand the reason he has won all of his titles since 2012 is because of the offense. I don't think that being buddies with BOB will keep Saban from getting rid of him at the end of this year.
Is there an up and coming successful OC in the Sun Belt CNS could snag? That's where all the talent is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I don't understand your post; he's been featured more than anyone in our offense this year. Unless, you're saying we should feature him even more? It's a lonnngggg season!
I’d give him more carries, yes……… I’m saying I don’t want to waste his ability. Of course we need to get the others on the field as well

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I believe some of the play calling can be having a O Line that is dysfunctional right now ( last year it was a train wreck) and this has hampered some play calling, once Tyler Booker gains the starting spot we will see alot of changes hopefully this weekend! Alright strike your matches I'm ready!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Bill O'Brien is the greatest OC Alabama has ever had, Nebraska would be lucky to have him. They should hire him, effective immediately.
In all honesty it probably wouldn't be a terrible hire. He has a history of building up dead programs. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a better HC than OC on the college level at this point in his career

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
So, BoB's play calling can be attributed to a dysfunctional Oline? So we call slow developing pass plays with route trees that make life easy for opposing DBs?
Sorry, I ain't buying it.

Reactions: gtgilbert

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
So, BoB's play calling can be attributed to a dysfunctional Oline? So we call slow developing pass plays with route trees that make life easy for opposing DBs?
Sorry, I ain't buying it.
Same pass plays as last year only thing was we had a burner on the outside and Bryce was sacked alot, we could talk about this all day but from what I hear from people near the program this could be alot of the issue

Reactions: gtgilbert

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
So, if you know you have a problem and don't have a burner and know you can't sustain blocks that long why keep trying to beat the square peg into the round hole? Why not adapt to the personnel you have and design plays to suit them instead?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.