Rose Bowl given til Wednesday to make decision on their role in a 12 team playoff.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That is potentially the case this year. And even in the not too distant past, Nebraska and Oklahoma rematched in a bowl although I don't think either was in the running for the NC when the Orange Bowl was played.
Actually, Oklahoma WAS in the running in 1978 when that happened.

Oklahoma got 5 votes in the coaches poll.
We got the same number as USC.

The votes for them cost us a consensus (the AP went with us, 38-19).

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
As soon as this playoff started, expansion was going to be inevitable. I definitely would not be on board with the top 4 being reserved for conference champions. The top 4 should remain what it is today, which should be the top 4 teams. Those top 4 would get a bye the first week and then the remainder 8 teams play in the first round.

This expansion will bring more excitement to college football and more viewers. People complain about the NFL, but it's still king in regards to viewership.

We could actually have a type of Cinderella story national champion with this expanded playoff. We'll still be Alabama and get our wins, but teams like UCF can stop complaining about not getting their shot starting in 2024.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In its glory days, the Rose Bowl was college football's biggest prize. In those days there were only 5 bowl games, 10 teams, 3 TV networks and 1 college game every Saturday. The bowls were the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl and the Gator Bowl. Now there are 42 bowl games (84 teams) and they cannot find 84 teams that have at least a 6-6 record. Of course the bowls mean nothing any more and that includes the "Grandaddy of Them All". The 12 team playoff may save some of these bowls, but does anybody really care. If expansion was inevitable then it should have been limited to 8 teams.

foreveratidefan

Scout Team
Sep 20, 2005
Smyrna, TN
So I'm confused. All the announcements are saying expanding for the 2024 season - so the 2023 season will still have just 4 teams? Or do they mean that for the next, 2023 season, the playoff that will be played at the end of december 2023/beginning of 2024 will be expanded to 12 teams?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So I'm confused. All the announcements are saying expanding for the 2024 season - so the 2023 season will still have just 4 teams? Or do they mean that for the next, 2023 season, the playoff that will be played at the end of december 2023/beginning of 2024 will be expanded to 12 teams?
Next season (2023) will be the final season for the four team playoff. The 12 team playoff will begin the following season.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
A few argued about the 4th team in. Now a whole bunch of people will argue about the 12th team in.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I would rather the argument be about the 12th team in instead of the 4th team in. The 13th place team has less to argue about than the 5th place team.
Except when its an automatic Group of 5 team. Like Tulane this year. There's no argument for that.

Or the top 4 required to be conference Champs. At some point you are going to have a team like KSU beating an undefeated team and getting a bye.

FCS has 24 teams....11 automatic bids. A conference champ is in regardless of record. Whats to keep FBS from continuing to expand to the same...the top 24 teams?

I mean UTSA had a good year why leave them out. Give them a chance too, right. South Alabama won 10 games, give them a shot.

Reactions: Tidelines

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
A few argued about the 4th team in. Now a whole bunch of people will argue about the 12th team in.
I think you're right. Once you get down to the #12 team it will probably be a team with 3 losses and I'm sure there will be at least 5 or 6 other teams with 3 losses who will insist they are every bit as worthy of a playoff spot as the #12 team selected.

Reactions: Tidelines

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yeah. When they added the Fiesta Bowl it screwed up everything. We had only one TV (black and white) and no remote.

My job was to sit next to tv and have my father yell at me “Flip to channel 6. Flip back to channel 13. Flip over to UHF 42….”
I had it worse than you. We had an antenna on our roof. There was always a pipe wrench on the pipe for me to change the antenna direction. Half of Gadsden could hear me and my Fathers dialogue to get the antenna just right. We had a big selections of channels. Three.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I had it rough,I’m telling you how rough I had it 😁there wasn’t any time for football. Most games were day time and we had to work ( at something, anything as long as it was work.) If my dad ever saw a game I still don’t know it, even ones I played in in h.s. But I respected the hell out of him. He was a tough, loving, good man. Just didn’t give a care about sports.

Reactions: B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I had it rough,I’m telling you how rough I had it 😁there wasn’t any time for football. Most games were day time and we had to work ( at something, anything as long as it was work.) If my dad ever saw a game I still don’t know it, even ones I played in in h.s. But I respected the hell out of him. He was a tough, loving, good man. Just didn’t give a care about sports.
Mine either...never encouraged me one bit in any sport...of course when you are one of 5 you don't get a lot of one on one attention. Oh well...I survived...

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I had it worse than you. We had an antenna on our roof. There was always a pipe wrench on the pipe for me to change the antenna direction. Half of Gadsden could hear me and my Fathers dialogue to get the antenna just right. We had a big selections of channels. Three.
Rough! I'll tell you how rough, we lived so far back in the stick's we had to go down to my uncle's and watch the Grand Ole Opery and it was a week late! Now that's rough

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Except when its an automatic Group of 5 team. Like Tulane this year. There's no argument for that.

Or the top 4 required to be conference Champs. At some point you are going to have a team like KSU beating an undefeated team and getting a bye.

FCS has 24 teams....11 automatic bids. A conference champ is in regardless of record. Whats to keep FBS from continuing to expand to the same...the top 24 teams?

I mean UTSA had a good year why leave them out. Give them a chance too, right. South Alabama won 10 games, give them a shot.
The FCS playoffs are run by the NCAA and have rules about who gets in. At least half the field is required to be at large. Three FCS conferences don't participate in the playoffs.

The CFP is run by the schools themselves without direct involvement of the NCAA so they can structure it however they like.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would rather the argument be about the 12th team in instead of the 4th team in. The 13th place team has less to argue about than the 5th place team.
No, they don't.

The 5th place team is only whining because they lost a game.
The 13th place team is only whining because they lost game(s).

(Ever notice the only time folks even talk about SoS is when they're trying to justify "our loss isn't as bad as either: a) someone else's loss; or b) being compared to a team that hasn't lost"?)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The FCS playoffs are run by the NCAA and have rules about who gets in. At least half the field is required to be at large. Three FCS conferences don't participate in the playoffs.

The CFP is run by the schools themselves without direct involvement of the NCAA so they can structure it however they like.
Yes, and (being facetious) everyone wants us to be like FCS because they have a playoff.

Uh.....N Dakota St has won NINE OF THE LAST TEN FCS championships.

Georgia Southern won four in six years and lost the title game in a fifth season.
Youngstown St won 4 in 7 years and lost another one.
App St won 3 in a row (which has never happened in FBS).

The EXPANDED PLAYOFF will INCREASE the number of Alabama-Clemson, Ohio St-Clemson, Oklahoma-SEC team playoff games AND increase the odds of the same 4 teams winning it all.

But who am I to argue with these guys with college degrees, huh?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I know this is not exactly how it will work but, if you look at the current top 12 in the CFP rankings we would have 7 of the 12 teams with 2 or more losses. Outside of odd years like 2007 when almost everyone had 2 losses, why do these teams deserve a shot at the title (and yes I know this includes Bama)?

I've always had the mentality that 2 losses should basically rule you out. I don't care that Bama has only lost by a combine 4 points, if you want a title shot then don't lose the games. At some point, losing has to matter but no, now we are going to let 3 loss teams into the playoffs. I'm sure one day it will expanded again and allow 4 and 5 loss teams in, at which point why even bother with the regular season since it will mean nothing.

I'm starting to hate this era of sports, MLB and college football ruining their postseasons with needless expansions.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I only care and justify because I feel Alabama has been short changed so many times. Guess I’m over zealous in my approach because of Bama anti bias. I don’t think many of us feel different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.