2005 Recruiting Class Update: Defense

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Defense: We lose 6 seniors after this season, 3 of who are starters.

DL (5 Recruits) Bama loses “Bear” Bryant off the line, which opens the way for smaller and faster DL to step in and play. The top 4 DT’s will be Clark, Lee, Britt, and either Adams/Griffin. This is still a need and it didn’t help that Hamilton and Washington didn’t qualify. Hopefully Washington will be ready for next year. Britt could move if there is an emergence of other players. As for DE, the top 4 in rotation will be Anderson, Harris, Turner and either Saunders/Gilberry. Turner may grow into a DT. For a total DL count we will have 3 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 1 Rfr.

Some of the potential signees for next year are: L. Washington, Brandon Fanney, J. Mincey, Bobby Greenwood, V. Oghobaase, P. Pinchon, S. Jones, Jerell Mabry, Kerry Bonds, Zach Schreiber, BJ Wright, Raphael Ousley and Brandon Perry.

I see the staff signing up to 5 recruits with at least 2 in each position. Hopefully Washington and Fanney can get qualified and enter in the spring. That would give us 1 DT and 1 DE in that group. Other potential signees would be Greenwood, BJ Wright, Schreiber, or Stacy Jones. I will say this, with the lack of solid depth on the D-Line I would expect more recruits interested.

LB (3 Recruits) Bama loses 1 senior/starter Wortham. They return 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 1 Rfr. Look for Bama to load up with 2-3 LB’s.

Potential recruits are Quincy Marshall, Quentin Taylor, Antonio Coleman, Brent Gritton, Prince Hall, Gerald Williams. I like our chances with Marshall and Taylor. Gritton might be our 3rd at MLB.

Secondary (3-4 Recruits) Bama will lose 4 seniors, but no starters, barring Madison doesn’t get his senior year back. Bama will have 3 seniors, 1 Jr, 3 sophomores (Castille and Carter play), and 2 Rfr. The starting lineup for 2005 could be the best Bama has seen in some time with Madison/Castille at one corner, Robinson at the other, Peprah at Strong Safety and Harper at Free Safety.

We have a good chance of landing Chris Rogers (even though he is committed to Maryland), Jerraud Powers (who is in ESPN’s top 100), Chris Felder who would be one of the best JC pick ups in the secondary for some time, and Terrell Smith could play safety if not OLB. Others are Joel Caldwell, Brent Kendricks, and Ali Sharrief.

Depending how the recruiting situation is in October or November the staff may offer a kicker.

As far as commitments go, some have expressed concern and there is some reason to be. Yes we only have 2 commitments, but if you add Washington, Fanney, Felder, and possibly JP Wilson, then that would put us up to 6. I would hope to have Barnes commit soon so he can help swing the momentum. We are also in competition for some of the best players in the south which is another reason why some will wait till late December and January to commit.

Hope this helps!

The Tide

Tide, you mentioned Harper and Peprah at safety in 2005. Do you think Marcus Carter will beat out Harper at one safety? I think it's a real possibility unless Harper can really step up his play. He's not a bad player but needs to be more consistent.

Also, is there a possibility that Alabama might sign a JC DT? Have you heard any names?

RollTide85

Scout Team
Jan 30, 2004
I think I speak for everyone when i say THANKS!

Just two questions. Do you think that we have any chance of getting Jerrell Powe? And how good is B. Greenwood?

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
I honestly haven't heard many Juco names except for Emory Jones WR and Felder S/CB. You would think that a JC DT would be in the works. Maybe they are waiting to see production from their second year.

Harper was only a Sophomore last year and to think a true freshman can come in and usurp him is asking a lot. We should see Castille and Carter get some playing time, but if they did redshirt that meant our players now played well to warrant them a RS. That would be nice.

As far as Henry Smith goes, I think the staff are waiting to see how he does this year. He had problems last year.

We desperately need Washington and Fanney to qualify.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollTide85:
I think I speak for everyone when i say THANKS!

Just two questions. Do you think that we have any chance of getting Jerrell Powe? And how good is B. Greenwood?
</font>
As far as Powe is concerned he seems like an Auburn lock. I always think "never say never", but it will take a lot to turn him. Also, he is most likely headed to JC first.

As for Greenwood, not much has been written on him, but he is the same mold as Tatum. Bobby could grow to 6-6. With that frame he could be a DT or an OT.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Thanks as always Tide! I think Powe must be completely "war chicken"...i think his high school's mascot is the same as the barn's

------------------
Comes the Tide, bringing with it untapped,
unfathomed depths of energy.....
awesome mighty and relentless it comes.....this is the Tide

The Butcher

Scout Team
Nov 6, 2003
Huntsville, AL, USA
Thanks for the update.

You mentioned that Washington and Fanney may be able to join the team in the Spring. Do you mean they could enroll in January and be there for the spring semester and spring practice? I was not aware that you could do that from a prep school. I thought the student had to complete the year. If this is correct, that would be great.

RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.