Lets Talk Dline....trouble with DT?

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
A special thanks to TomCulpepper, JessN, TampaJim, Tidalwave, and others that are on top of the recruiting front.

Lets talk about Dline. With the DT position extremely thin who is bama looking at? A better question is who is looking at bama? How many spots will the Dline offer? Thanks in advance...

<scroll=left>Roll Tide

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
TampaJim mentioned this on the open forum, but the foursome of Chris Harris (Tusc Central), Kyle Tatum (Prattville), Henry Smith (Aliceville) and Jeremy Clark (Daphne) would be very nice to get. Harris is already committed, and we're in good shape with the others.

Depending on how much wiggle room the coaches feel they'll have pending any NCAA fallout, we could make a run at a couple of JUCO defensive linemen. We'll probably have to sign at least one, anyway, or move Kenny King inside. Our DL in 2002 will be Bryant and Johnson starting with Derek Sanders, a converted end, backing both guys up. That's at least three good, quality players shy of what you need to compete in this league. And, in 2002, Sanders and Johnson are seniors and Bryant a junior. So we need bodies, and quick.

Jess

TomCulpepper

Suspended
Jul 7, 2000
Birmingham, AL
BigBama,

There are a number of out-of-state defensive line prospects on Alabama's wish list such as Kedric Goldston (GA), Willie Henderson (TN), Texas prospects, JUCO prospects, etc. However, I will start with the state of Alabama.

DE Chris Harris (6-5/225/4.7)- Committed. Harris brings good speed off the edge, solid academics, and high character.

DT Kyle Tatum (6-6/270/4.9)- He should get his first look on defense but Tatum could be a prototype left tackle. Tatum has grown up in a family of Alabama fans and a public commitment could happen in the near future.

DT Jeremy Clark (6-3/265/4.8)- Clark will likely move inside where he could develop into a 290-pounder at some point in his career. Daphne has been very, very good (Keeny King, Atlas Herrion) to Alabama in recent years.

NT Raymond Chaney (6-1/250/4.8)- A good performance at the combine in Montgomery (Saturday) could raise Chaney's stock with all of the Division 1-A programs (30-40) who plan to attend.

Right now, these are the guys with the best chance to project as defensive linemen on the college level. Others such as James Newby, Christopher Browder, Antonio Underwood, and Henry Smith are still on the recruiting boards of most programs. Newby, Underwood, and Smith have the frames to make the move over to offensive line if necessary. Browder is also being looked at as a tight end.

Tom

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Tom:

Any truth to Tatum projecting as an OL rather than DL, or in your opinion does he have necessary footspeed for DL?

Jess

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Tom or Jess,

Do you have the vitals on Christopher Browder? That's the first I have heard of him.

Also, I have read that Jared Parton (6-4, 220, Collinsville, MS) favors Alabama at the moment. Any information on him?

Finally, Tom do you recall anything about Seante Williams? He is apparently at Coffeyville CC, but previously committed to Auburn out of high school (he's from Pensacola).

Also, what about Demarcus Johnson of Tallahassee Rickards? He is now at SW Missouri CC. I wonder if he and Antonio Carter are tight.

Thanks in advance. RTR!

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for all the replys. Where do yall get your information on these recruits? Now that Rivals is history I dont know any player databases. If yall could help a fellow tidefan out it would be much apprecitated.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

BIG BAMA,
As a concerned Tide fan, I believe several players will play for BAMA even with the NCAA around. DT is going to be filled by people like Harris who have committed verbally to BAMA. After the last spring drill, I saw something that had not been done nor mentioned since 92. Lining up the DE's side by side and bringing speed on the corners to disrupt an offence. This defense could be a very special one.

[This message has been edited by THE BAMA IRISHMAN (edited May 28, 2001).]

bamsam

Scout Team
Mar 31, 2001
fincastle,va.,usa
For defensive line starters,I like King and Naughton-Loescher at ends,Moorehead and Johnson at tackles.I think that would be a great front four.End depth is good,but tackles I don't know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.