An updated recruiting wish list

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Here I am again, randomly speculating about recruiting. Bear with me, and, as always... no wagering.

A few disclaimers - 1) this list is not the best case scenario, it is my opinion (at this time) as to who we will sign; 2) this list assumes that the NCAA sanctions include some lost scholarships, but nothing that would cripple the program (if that happens, all bets are off); 3) it is still very, very early.

QB - Brandon Avalos (Hillcrest), [out of state QB]

I think that Coach Fran will sign two QBs this year. With Avalos likely to also play baseball, it is imperative that we don't get caught short (especially with Pennington also being a baseball player). Who will be the second QB? I have no idea.

RB - Kenneth Darby (Huntsville Butler)

Just one RB you ask? Well, remember that we will have Shaud Williams in 2002 and that Ray Hudson may end up here as well. FWIW, at this time, I am predicting that Jason Allen does end up at Georgia (I hope like heck I'm wrong).

Also remember that Tim Castille (Briarwood) is one of the top juniors in the country.

FB - none

Maybe Frank Willis (Navarre, FL), but I suspect that, if Marvin Brown qualifies (he's only a junior), and since we also have Donnie Lowe (Soph), the staff will focus on other positions.

WR - Benjamin Obomanu (Selma), Grant Brigham (Mt. Brook), Lance Hamilton (Washington Co.)

Obomanu will be a huge win, especially since he is looking hard at Florida and UT. I think that both Brigham and Hamilton are very solid pickups. I think we are in the running for Jemalle Cornelius, but that he ends up staying in Florida.

TE - Lawrence Lilly (Montevallo)

I'm not sure how high the staff is on Lilly. We might find out after today's (Friday's) one-day camp.

OL - Grant Dickey (Tyler, TX), James Newby (Athens), Kevin Thorton (Gadsden)

A lot of guesswork here, especially on the third OL. Perhaps another Texas OL will magically appear in T-Town (g). Also remember that Henry Smith may end up OL, though for now he is being recruited as a DL.

DL - Chris Harris (Tuscaloosa Central), Kyle Tatum (Prattville), Henry Smith (Aliceville), Jeremy Clark (Daphne), Ben Grubbs (Elmore Co.)

This is an outstanding group of DL. The fact that they are all in-state is just a bonus. All of them are being recruited by the top SEC schools. Tatum, Smith and eventually Clark and maybe Grubbs will solve our depth problem at DT. Another possibility is Raymond Chaney (Mobile Shaw).

One wild-card to throw in. We could very well sign a JUCO defensive tackle in 2002. No idea who, but the depth may be needed immediately (unless Derek Sanders or Gerard Clark steps up).

LB - Derrick Pope (Garden City CC, KS), Ernest Nance (Courtland), Darius Wilder (Aliceville)

Very difficult to leave off Nick Luke (Phenix City), Edmund Miles (Tallahassee Godby), Buster Davis (Daytona Beach) and Trevis O'Neal (Leeds).

DB - Roshawn Pope (Galvaston, TX), Jeffrey Temple (Montgomery), Ramsey Robinson (Huntsville Butler), Titus Ryan (Tuscaloosa Co.)

I would love to sign a top Texas DB like Vickeal Vaughn, Donald Burgs or Willie Andrews, but it is more likely they stay in Big Twelve country.

By my count, that is 22 signees, most of them from Alabama.

Obviously, if we start winning again, and we "only" lose 10-12 scholarships, then we stand a chance at some really good out of state recruits (per my earlier post). This is just a general idea of where I think we're headed.

I welcome any questions or comments. RTR!

BigMike

Jun 19, 2001
Atlanta, GA
TampaJim-

Just wondering if you had heard anything about an upcoming Sr. RB from Eufaula, AL named Charles Green. I'm from south AL and remember seeing that kid dominate as a Fr and Soph a couple of years ago. Is he getting a look from anyone?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I'd rate Nick Luke a little more of a possibility, as well as Jason Allen at DB.

Also, I'd still bet on a fullback. Good list, otherwise.

------------------
Jess Nicholas
Editor-At-Large
TideFans.com

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
I appreciate the "editorial review", Jess. It is definitely needed, especially from someone a little closer to Tuscaloosa. (g)

As I mentioned, it was tough leaving off Luke and I remain optimistic about Allen. It's just that right now he appears headed to Georgia.

Jess, were you able to make it over to the camp today? If you hear anything, please let us recruiting junkies know!

Thanks again. RTR!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
TampaJim:

I couldn't make it over to the camp, sorry. I've been very swamped here at work. I do know several very reliable people that were there, and I'll see what I can get from them over the weekend.

Jess

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
TampaJim or JessN:
Can you clear a few things up? When you say lose 10 - 12 Scholarships, does that mean per year or over a period of time like we can only have a total of 75 on scholarship? Picking the worst case scenario, would it be in our best interests to start recruiting and redshirt all recruits for the reductions of scholarships? What would be the strategy? I don't want to have a down time like we did in the mid 90's. We had one last year and we weren't supposed to! Thanks in advance!

Crimson4ever

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 3, 2002
northport, al, usa
titus is awesome i went to hs with him hes very fast i mean very fast and good attitude i pray we get him but grades im not sure i thought he would play college basketball hes good athlete

bat123

All-American
There's three things I always look forward to on this board, To be reminded Coach Fran has updated his site, Tusk dealing with a petulant rival, and last but not least your posts Jim, as always thanks!!!!

------------------
"If we can't beat Auburn I'd rather stay home and plow"

SCrammerjammer

1st Team
Sep 4, 2000
South Carolina
Would the QB at Hillcrest (out of state) be from South Carolina? There is such a school near Greenville, SC.

There is another great QB in SC at Pelion HS. He and his twin brother are stars and hold state honors. Who better to read/catch a QBs passes than his excellently talented brother?

bamabarney

Oct 13, 1999
dothan, al
What about SS Larry Brackins from Dothan? Any word if Bama is looking at him? Don't hear much from the media down here until late in the season if someone is looking at a local prospect.

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Larry Brackins is indeed a top in-state player. However, I have yet to read an interview with him or see where he is interested in Alabama (and vice-versa).

Maybe it's just quiet for now. But from what I've heard, Brackins is a player.

And by the way, the Hillcrest kid is Tuscaloosa Hillcrest. In fact, Avalos is the stepson of Rodney Orr of TiderInsider.

I have heard of the twins in South Carolina that you mentioned. I know that Alabama has contacted them, but I'm not sure how serious we are.

RTR!

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Right now, it appears that Gerald Riggs is primarily interested in Tennessee, Michigan, Georgia and Auburn.

He is being recruited by everyone, including us, and a lot can change. My guess at this time, however, is that he will end up at UT.

Also note that he has some work to do on the academic front.

RTR!

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
Hey TampaJim, I was on ESPN.com a few minutes ago and I saw that we had another verbal commitment at TE on there for 2002.

His name is Kyle Tatum. He is from Prattville, Ala. Do you have any info on this guy?

[This message has been edited by IHateUT (edited July 15, 2001).]

TampaJim

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tampa, FL, USA
Check down the board. There is a post addressing Tatum's commitment.

Per your request, however, Tatum is slated to play DL, probably DT. He's 6-6, 260 with a frame that will allow him to easily add 20-30 lbs. He is extremely fast for his size (4.8 - 4.9) and has a vertical leap around 28 inches. He's also a excellent studen who has already qualified.

He is considered by most recruiting experts as the best linemen in the State this year. Tom Lemming considers him the #1 prospect overall in Alabama (personally I think Jason Allen and Ben Obonamu rank up there also).

This is a huge commitment. Tatum was offered by everyone in the Southeast.

Hope this helps. RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.