Picture this: Aubs left out again, Tubby goes to Miami

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
It's still real, real early to be talking about anyone winning the NC or getting left out, but imagine this:

Auburn wins the rest of its games, including SECCG. Southern Cal wins the rest of its games. Ohio State and Michigan are undefeated when they play at the end of the year. I think the prospect of the Big 10 - PAC 10 National Title game would be too much for Auburn to overcome -- The OSU/UM winner would be #1, USC would be #2, and the Aubs would be out in the cold for the second time in three years!

That scenario is sweet enough, but here's the kicker: Miami will be looking for a coach at the end of the year. Tubs was Miami's DC before he became a head coach. If he's any kind of true competitor and wants a shot at a national title, he would have to conclude that shot isn't going to come at Auburn. In addition to being undefeated and uncrowned for the second time in three years, the Aubs may be looking for a coach come January!

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
If this plays out, Tubby will leave. Maybe not this year, and maybe not to go to Miami, but he will leave - and who could blame him? It will only get harder for him to go undefeated as Bama regains prominance, and he knows it...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I honestly don't see why Tubby would leave for Miami. Even if the dude never wins another game, he's guaranteed millions. His wife and kids say they love Auburn and call it "home." Why would he uproot them from the idyllic existence in the middle of nowhere and plunk them into one of the most decadent metro areas this side of New Orleans? I don't see it.

I think a much more likely candidate would be the Steelers' Cowher.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
As a head coach in the SEC, if you go undefeated twice (within a three year span), and don't get to play for the national championship, you've got to consider that you've probably done all you can do at that particular school.

Rivalry aside, if the SEC has a school go undefeated twice in three years and they don't get to play for it all, there's something wrong.

Now, considering it's Auburn, I would roll on the floor laughing . . . :biggrin2:

Anyone who doesn't think Tubberville would seriously consider the Miami job is not thinking straight. And, Miami could find the money that would be necessary. If Memphis could find the money to lure John Calipari for their basketball program, Miami could find the money for Tubberville.

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Miami will be looking for a coach at the end of the year. Tubs was Miami's DC before he became a head coach. If he's any kind of true competitor and wants a shot at a national title, he would have to conclude that shot isn't going to come at Auburn. In addition to being undefeated and uncrowned for the second time in three years, the Aubs may be looking for a coach come January!

...I think it's already in the works...

TheCrimsonLiver

All-SEC
Aug 21, 2006
Pell City
I honestly don't see why Tubby would leave for Miami. Even if the dude never wins another game, he's guaranteed millions. His wife and kids say they love Auburn and call it "home." Why would he uproot them from the idyllic existence in the middle of nowhere and plunk them into one of the most decadent metro areas this side of New Orleans? I don't see it.

Uhhhhhh....Because it is Auburn, Maybe!

WISHBONE67

Scout Team
Dec 7, 2000
Cleveland, GA
Don't forget Mark Richt at uga. Have no inside info but he went to school there (Backup to Jim Kelly)and recruits FLA well. Have spoken to Miami fans who have said they would like him back to coach.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Kim Franchione will be sitting at the Bryan/College Station Agricultural Irrigation Depot/Airport/Long John Silver waiting for the jet from Miami... for a long time.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
...I think it's already in the works...
You say that with a bit too much confidence - got info to back that up?

I kinda doubt it would happen though - TT's buyout is $7M this year and $6M next to leave - that's real money to a college, even Miami.

But..... Anyone know the tail number of the Miami jet so we can check and see if it flies to Auburn? :)

Last edited:

TiderB

All-American
Dec 18, 2002
Birmingham, AL
This would be fine with me if we beat him in November. Last thing I'd want would be for him to leave with a long streak over us. We'd never hear the end of it from aub.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Auburn will get left out before Tubs goes to Miami. I have said for the past 2 years that he would bolt for UM if the opportunity presented itself. It appears that Coker may very well get the hook sometime between now and the end of the year. But, after thinking about it, IMO Tubs stays at AU because until LSU and UA start beating him on a regular basis he is the SEC West King Pin. As long as Borges and Muschamp remain at AU, he is not going to lose more than 3games in any year. He is on equal footing with UA in recruiting in state and has nearly as much talent as LSU and UGA. Now, I do think UM may go after either Petrino, but if I were UM I would send out feelers to Rich Rodriguez at WVU and Steve Kragthorpe at Tulsa. Could Borges be a candidate for the head job at UM? I don't think so but some on this board feel he is a hot HC prospect. If I am not mistaken, the HC at Rutgers spent quite a few years at UM, and he has resurrected a program that was on life support. Lots of good candidates but think Tubs will be at AU until Lowder's plane flies again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.