Why did the Lady Tide not get in?

Chris Indiana

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 24, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Will someone please explain this to me? From all of my understanding, it was between us, MSU, and UGA for two spots. How did Georgia get in, after all their conference record (6-8) is worse than ours (7-7). However, they did beat us in the regular season and at the tournament, their RPI is 25 and their Strength of Schedule is 20. I halfway understand this.

If GA could leap frog us, why could we not have leapfrogged Miss. St? The only thing that Miss St has going for them is that it's conference record (8-6) is better than ours. As I was watching the selection special, I recall one of the commentators say that a lot of emphasis was put on conference tournaments. Now this being said, both teams loss in the first round. However, we loss to Georgia, the number 9 seed. They loss to Kentucky, the number 12 seed and worst team in the SEC. Now let's compare RPI's. Ours is 53. Their's is 67. How about Strength of Schedule? Ours is 51. Theirs is 80.

I've always heard that a lot of emphasis was put on SOS and RPI, why would we not go ahead of Miss. St? Please respond.

AlaTider731

Feb 18, 2002
good question chris....

i watched the selection show and it really made me upset....its sad...either way..GEORGIA belonged in the NCAA tournament...for a while i thought HOW HOW HOW could MSU get in over us...they finished just 1 game ahead of us in the SEC and they did lose to Kentucky in the last game of the season...and they finished 1-6 in SEC...we beat them...we had better RPI...the main reason they got in, is because they have an all-american with a name (latoya thomas)...

its sad that rick moody got this team to believe in themselves and come out of a 1-4 whole to go all the way to 7-7 in SEC and even beat LSU (who beat Tennessee a few days after) and even get a vote in the polls for NOTHING...i have so much respect for rick moody and what he has done for the program and then this....how can he expect to rebuild from the slight drop off of post-canty years (dominique canty all-american) if they get snubbed like this....more than anyone i hate it for our 3 seniors...and especially lanisha cartwell and shondra johnson...i had seen them play for 4 years...i even had the shondra johnson bobble head (4 of them lol)...

but im not even looking at miss state now...its teams like WISCONSIN who finished the season 3-10 with 2 wins being over NORTHWESTERN a team that has a 200+ rpi...and they beat them twice by a combined 7 points...they were 19-11, BUT they finished just HORRIBLE...they lost almost ALL of their games towards the end and did not deserve a bid...

there are QUITE a few teams that were skeptical that got in before us...

the NCAA, if they can, will snub bama in everything they can...thats not just me saying that..but we all know the NCAA has never been the biggest bama fan...not at all...

im hoping we can prove ourselves by going 5-0 in the WNIT and finishing 22-11 and carrying that over to next year (much like the men who got snubbed and went 4-1 in NIT and are now top 10)...but as down as i was about it, if the team has the same mental approach i can see us going 1 and done...

if bama had started out just somewhat good...they would be in...their rpi was damaged horribly by 2 bad losses...@ alabama state...and @ providence...how we lost them, i do not know...but we more than made up for it by beating 2 SEC semi-final teams...

Alabama has 5 wins over current NCAA at-large teams...oh well, here we go with our 3rd straight WNIT...

but my opinion, for what its worth, is that rick moody is the right man for the job and we should stick with him until he retires...he has had to endure some major bad luck but yet bama is about to head to its 11th straight post-season (8 being NCAA's)...sure bama has fallen from top 10 and top 20...but they are still a mediocre SEC team that cant beat the top 2 or 3 usually, but can beat anyone else in the league on a given night and still manages to be on the bubble....that means that rick moody is really only a couple of good recruits or 1 really great recruit away from heading them back into the right direction

as hard as it is to recruit in womens basketball (all the good ones want to go to uconn, tenn, la tech, etc)..i think it is good that he has still managed to not let our program fall too much...

we will be back up there...hopefully next year!

AlaTider731

Feb 18, 2002
another thing i wanted to add about rick moody...is that its not like we are settling for a bad team with the WNIT...

rick moody is basically ALL bama has ever had in womens basketball and he has led us to most of everything we have accomplished....even if he led us to the WNIT for every year left that would still be better than what he inherited...he made alabama a respected program....

other than that, he IS the winningest basketball coach in bama history (mens or womens) and the only thing he is yet to do is...make it to TITLE GAME (final four was in 94)....BEAT TENNESSEE...and WIN SEC TOURNEY....

i think he will end up doing atleast 2 of those before he is done...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!
BEAT MISSOURI!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.