Shanks assault?

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
Folks, I support what the lawyers in the case against the NCAA as much as anyone and I wish them the best, but I gotta tell ya my instincts in this Shanks assault has me on alert. I know if I was working the case the first thig I would do would be to try and confirm that the incident really occurred. There are some smelly things that bother me about the assault and whether it is a legitimate robbery. I will keep them to myself for the time being and I hope that I am wrong because if it is proven that the assault was staged it will be devastating to the case and once again the Bama family will be the brunt of jokes. I sincerely hope it is legit and the culprit is identified and prosecuted.

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
Brtraker,

They did confirm that Shanks suffered a concussion, had a pretty big hematoma on his head, and had some internal bleeding. That's a lot to endure to stage a burglary.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brtraker:
Folks, I support what the lawyers in the case against the NCAA as much as anyone and I wish them the best, but I gotta tell ya my instincts in this Shanks assault has me on alert. I know if I was working the case the first thig I would do would be to try and confirm that the incident really occurred. There are some smelly things that bother me about the assault and whether it is a legitimate robbery. I will keep them to myself for the time being and I hope that I am wrong because if it is proven that the assault was staged it will be devastating to the case and once again the Bama family will be the brunt of jokes. I sincerely hope it is legit and the culprit is identified and prosecuted. </font>
First off let me say you and everyone else are entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on this matter.

I suggest you listen to the latest interview with Tommy Gallion after the assault on this board. Gallion, Shanks and Finebaum have been threatened.

Here is my opinion with all due respect to anyone that may be offended by it.

The fact that some people, mostly UT fans, can think this is a stunt or ploy to drum up publiciity is absolutely ludicrous and asinine.

What sane human being would stage or have himself robbed, beaten and knocked unconscious? And not only that then have the gall to fake very important legal documents and files being stolen. The risk verses gain is to great for any normal thinking logical man or women.

I would be interested to hear your "smelly things" bothering you about the assault and robbery.

Other Tide Fans discuss this matter

[This message has been edited by Crimson Surfer (edited 05-08-2004).]

TideFaninFl

1st Team
Jul 26, 2003
Merritt Island, FL, USA
From what I understand, Shanks was in a very bad car crash a while back. It was also reported that he had some head injuries. If true, then any blow to his head would not only black him out, but could kill him. I do not think that the robbery was staged.

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
Y'all don't take Brtraker's comments the wrong way. Let's just say he has a professional background in areas like this and has probably been well served by maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I can't imagine they would stage it. Things seemed to be going their way anyway. But I did have a little trouble following the key business in this paragraph from the Birmingham News:

"We have three separate locked doors you have to go through to get to my office," Shanks said. "My assistant said we have a key missing that would have gained access to the second door. If somebody got in the first door because it was left open by the people upstairs when they arrived, and they had the key to the second door, then they could have been waiting.
Does that mean the burgler had the second door's key beforehand? Was somebody upstairs when this happened, or was the first locked door left open but with no one there?
If someone was familiar enough with the layout to know they needed a key to a door between the front door and Shanks' office door, had they been there before?
You can't help but wonder what will happen next. By the time the Bama/ut game gets here in October, Bama fans might be safer visiting Iraq.

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
I can understand how some may be suspicious on this. I've said this before and at the risk of being redundant I'll say it again.

I use the "logic test" on a lot that I hear...so if you will bear with me let's just see if this makes sense.

Linda Bensel Myers to start off.

Received death threats.
Had her office broken into and files stolen.
Alleged her phones were tapped in her book (haven't seen evidence of that yet, so we'll leave it as maybe?)

Finebaum.

Received death threats.

Gallion.

Received death threats.

Shanks to close here.

Home broken into.
Dead cats left on front porch on numerous occasions.
Death threats...one in person and the guy was arrested but Shanks dropped the charges.
Assault.

Combined with...the things we've seen *covered up* within the UT system for several years now.

Now, that being said is an assault and theft in his office unreasonable?

Would an Attorney risk his livelyhood to file a fictious police report?

He didn't awake until he was on the stretcher headed to the ambulance.

NOW....just use a little logic...is it a stretch to believe it happened?

There are a multitude of things I could add to this. It's been slyly released that Team Gallion was going to pull out the big guns again in about two weeks.

.....weigh it out, will ya?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't know Phillip, but I knew his deceased father who was also a lawyer. If I had to name 100 lawyers, and which one would be the least likely to stage a robbery, Shanks' father would be it (if he were still alive...) I just don't think the apple fell that far from the tree.
In for a penny, in for a pound. I'll stick with Shanks, he's too sharp to have staged this.
Phillip had a younger brother who drowned at the beach years ago, it devastated the entire family. Much later, Phillip had the car accident that killed his wife. I'm sure the assault has his mother very upset again.

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
Terry you may have information that I don't have. I read where his secretary found him and told him the ambulance was on the way, not that he woke in the ambulance. My experience has been that when someone changes their routine (went in early) gets knocked out for almost an hour and don't remember much, (it takes a hell of a lick to knock someone out and it usually doesn't happen - not impossible but in my 34 years experience I have not had many folks knocked out esp. for extended periods, I have had many who claimed to have been but later changed their story), the absence of witnesses. The time of occurrence - a little late in the morning for a burglary, and the treatment of an extremely minor wound - two stitches by one report. All of these make me skeptical. It could be 100% legit and as I said, I hope it is and the suspect is identified and prosecuted. My experience has made me cynical and distrustful, but I have finely tuned instincts. Hope I don't offend anyone with my caution because I hate those Viles and NCAA Nazis as much as anyone. All of us are two far removed from all the facts to have strong opinions either way, anyway thats my story and I'm stickin to it...

[This message has been edited by Brtraker (edited 05-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Brtraker (edited 05-08-2004).]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BRT, the proposition that this was staged doesn't bear logic. The proposition that Shanks' opposition gained much that they would have never seen otherwise (I'm familiar with some of the material they were after and captured) bears much logic. I don't want to repeat myself, but you might read the other two active threads...

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.
TH, I am sure their is loads of information that I do not know...much of which would have bearing on my opinion. The Shanks family has a good reputation and I am sure he is a reputable person. My concerns were strictly based on the limited information that is available to me. I am too old and too cynical to take everything I read and hear at face value. I am certainly willing to give Mr. Shanks the benefit of the doubt and wish him well ... and I do.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And, since you obviously have not read the other threads, the taking of the Alabama ring, along with the wallet (!?), along with only the Cottrell files pertaining to his possible defense in a criminal trial - and no others - clearly paint it as a burglary with a "message." And that's obviously why it was timed to an interval when he would be coming into work, but there would be no aid available. The interval of the knockout (I'm a little familiar, from concussions of my own) becomes both explainable and ominous, when examined with reference to his earlier car wreck and fragile cranial health.

[This message has been edited by TIDE-HSV (edited 05-08-2004).]

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy any idea suggesting that this was staged. I may be naive, but why would PS and/or Team Gallion need to generate a publicity stunt to 'gin up' support for their cause, when there is already plenty of it to go around and a very strong case to make the ncaa/UT/Fulmer very uncomfortable??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.