Ronnie Cottrell, Top Recruiter

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
When Ronnie Cottrell was hired by Mike DuBose, Ronnie was arguably the best recruiting coordinator in the nation. It is quite a coup to sign either the top defensive or top offensive player in the nation. Ronnie, not once, but twice signed both top offensive and defensive players in the same year. His hiring must have caused a lot of worry from the other SEC coaches. Alabama has always swayed players from Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida to Alabama. Not in great droves but Alabama was able to pluck a few cherries from other states to support their cast of Alabama's best. Was this fear of Ronnie's recruiting abilities the reason he was thrown under the bus. DuBose escaped free of any harm. Cottrell did not recruit Memphis.

I suspect Cottrell was just another piece of the puzzle to bring Bama down. Sanctions, plus crippling recruiting which was done for 2 years prior to sanctions because of the way the NCAA dragged the case along and systematically passed out press releases and notices.

Let me bring this back for some who may have forgot or didn't know.

On October 14, 2003, NCAA's official Web site changed their data base stating that the NCAA had a "show-cause provision for a period of eight years" on former Crimson Tide recruiting coordinator Ronnie Cottrell.

NCTIDEFAN

1st Team
Dec 3, 2002
Shelby, NC
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chukker Veteran:
I have a feeling Cottrell is going to wind up a wealthy man.</font>
I sincerely hope so!!!!

RTR

------------------
We take the field every week expecting to win. If we don’t take the field expecting to win, we shouldn’t be at Alabama.-Coach Mike Shula

oldford

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 12, 2004
I never heard anything negative about Ronnie Cottrell while he was at FSU. It was only
after he got to Alabama that the ncaa put him
under a microscope. I sincerely hope that Cottrell and Williams become the richest ex-coaches in the country

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.