Has anyone built their own computer?

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
I'm a bit of a novice with regards to the hardware aspect of computing. I've installed some PCI cards, but nothing more complicated than that. I'd like to rebuild my current computer, first starting with replacing the hard drive and adding some RAM but later would like to change out the motherboard and upgrade my CPU. Any recommendations about good websites to help or any help any of you could give would be great! Thanks in advance. :smile:

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
A very good website dealing with building computers is www.pcmech.com. The forums on the site are great, including one devoted strictly to building your own PC.

I'm not in the computer business at all, but several years ago, it occurred to me that I had installed enough computer components (RAM, sound and video cards, hard drives, CD-ROM drives, etc.) that it wouldn't be too great a leap to go the full route. Turned out to be fun and fulfilling, so I've built several of 'em now.

The newegg.com site is great for shopping for computer parts. Good prices, wonderful shipping. For example, yesterday afternoon I ordered a network switch from Newegg. It shipped today and will probably be here by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Depending on the age of your present computer, it may or may not be worth doing too much to upgrade it. A new hard drive and a RAM upgrade should be fine, but when you get to the CPU and motherboard part, you're basically building a new one.

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
I was like you until about 6 or 8 weeks ago when I decided to build my first computer. Here is a thread I started on Tidefans about it:

http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51776&highlight=computer

As you can tell, ALOT of people said that as cheap as computers were nowadays, I was better off just buying a prebuilt one. NO WAY could I have bought a prebuilt system for the money that I built this one. Its really not that hard at all. I bought all my parts from newegg.com, but the most helpful site I used was www.overclock.net , Someone on this forum recommended it to me and I still go to it from time to time.

Granted, that site talks about overclocking, but man they are very informative and it is a very active board. I dont know how much you want to spend, but they will even spec one out for you if you tell them your price range and what you want the computer to do.

Never again will I buy a prebuilt system, just not worth it in the long run. Go ahead and build one, its really easier than what you think. If I can help let me know....

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Never again will I buy a prebuilt system, just not worth it in the long run. Go ahead and build one, its really easier than what you think. If I can help let me know....
Thanks! I will definitely use the link and may take you up on your offer for help if I run into any trouble.

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Actually, I do have a question....

I have an older Gateway system (about 5 yrs old) and was wondering if I can scavenge any old parts from it. Is that even worth doing? I don't really want a high grade sound card and was thinking about using the one I already have. I don't think that would be a problem, but maybe it would? Anyone know? I know that I will have to upgrade motherboard, CPU, Video card...I want to upgrade memory and hard drive (going SATA instead of IDE). I figure the power unit and DVD burners are cheap enough to upgrade without any real added expense.

Any words of advice?

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Actually, I do have a question....

I have an older Gateway system (about 5 yrs old) and was wondering if I can scavenge any old parts from it. Is that even worth doing? I don't really want a high grade sound card and was thinking about using the one I already have. I don't think that would be a problem, but maybe it would? Anyone know? I know that I will have to upgrade motherboard, CPU, Video card...I want to upgrade memory and hard drive (going SATA instead of IDE). I figure the power unit and DVD burners are cheap enough to upgrade without any real added expense.

Any words of advice?
Honestly, I'd probably just keep the older PC as a 2nd computer or donate it or sell it. Most of the parts outside of the DVD Drive and HDD won't be useful/compatible with today's parts.

Don't go cheap on the PSU though. That and a nice quiet/cool case are worth the cost.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I bought a puter from Best Buy about 10 years ago. I bought the 3-year warranty as I had heard BB honored their warrantees well. I'm talking cd players getting sat on, etc.

I'm on puter #3 atm, renewing the $150 every 3 years or so.

PS. If you were to buy a puter and warranty at Best Buy, might I recommend a Gateway/eMachines? They seem to break perfectly in sync at 2.5 years.

:p

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Any recommendations? Right now I'm looking at an XClio 450BL ATX 450W Power Supply. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817189003
What are you going to do with the pc? Surf the net? That will work fine. Play todays games? You may wanna get a better one. Building a pc is really easy especially if you've been inside one before and know the difference in the parts. Using the old soundcard should be fine unless you're planning on running Vista on the pc. If you're wanting to install Vista you'll need to do some research and make sure the parts are compatible.

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Here's what I went with. My under $1000 build:

Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

PSU: Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply - Retail

Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2 - Retail

Drives: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Bruner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail

SIIG JU-91RW12-S4 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Write + Floppy - Retail

What do you folks think?

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Thats a decent build. That will probably allow you to play most newer games on medium settings. Have you put it all together yet?

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Ordered it from Newegg.com last night. Will let you guys know how my first build goes. :) May have some questions for you.

I was under the impression that that video card could handle most of what's out there now. It's not an 8800 but I don't have $500 to spend on the video card alone...figure that I can upgrade later if I need to...likely will also need to upgrade my PSU if I do though.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
It can play most of the games out right now. Just not at their highest settings. I think I have the exact same card. I play mostly games that a couple of years old. The newest one has to be Medieval II Total War. I've had some frame lag (mostly because of all the soldiers that were fighting) when I've assaulted a couple of castles.

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
Good components....

One tip you might want to consider. A computer obviously has a lot of components, each of which is a potential problem. What I always do is assemble the "essentials" (motherboard, CPU, heatsink and fan, RAM, vid card, monitor, PSU, keyboard and mouse) outside of the case. I then short the two pins on the motherboard that control the power switch with a screwdriver, and watch the screen. If lights come on, fans spin, and the computer tries to boot before it discovers it has no drives, operating system, etc., then I know the basic components are OK. When everything is inside the case, there's always the possibility that a screw or something can get "lost" underneath the motherboard, causing a short, which can be a really miserable experience with a brand new computer. I usually assemble everything in the cardboard motherboard box or on some other surface that doesn't conduct electricity. Don't use the bag that the motherboard came in; it can conduct electricity!

Also, in handling your components, be sure to ground yourself. You can get a grounding wristband at Radio Shack, or can just get in the habit of touching the connected power supply when you are installing things.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Also, in handling your components, be sure to ground yourself. You can get a grounding wristband...
Got one! thanks for the advice. I also worry about the oils on my fingers causing problems, as I have read on another site. Is this a legit concern? Thanks!

BTW, my case was the first component that came in and I got it today...it shipped from TN while everything else shipped from Cali. I can't wait to get started!! :) I am thriving in my geek-dom. :tongue:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Got one! thanks for the advice. I also worry about the oils on my fingers causing problems, as I have read on another site. Is this a legit concern? Thanks!
The only place you should be concerned with the oils on your fingers would be on the surfaces of the CPU or heatsink where they make contact. Just don't touch them at all. When applying the heat sink, both surfaces should be smooth, clean, and dry. You can clean them with alcohol and a cloth or cotton swab. Coat the surface of the heatsink with conductive paste (It usually comes in the package with a fan/heatsink combo), make sure the CPU makes good contact with the heatsink where you spread the paste, and it should be fine. Body oils won't make a bit of difference anywhere else, unless you're aesthetically offended by fingerprints.

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
A note to let all you folks know that I completed the build and it is up and running smoothly. Only a few problems along the way and all easily fixable. Thanks for all the advice!!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
A note to let all you folks know that I completed the build and it is up and running smoothly. Only a few problems along the way and all easily fixable. Thanks for all the advice!!
Glad to hear it, DrBama.
Building a PC is like many things else. It can seem daunting at first, but once you understand it, you realize how simple it really is. Solving problems on your own is rewarding, and there are a lot of resources available to help you.

My girlfriend watched me install some PC upgrades, and within the week, she was on Newegg ordering new gear. She had a standard Dell, but wanted to build her own in a slick black case she saw in a magazine. I helped her set it up, she loved it, and then she ordered an additional video card and without any help, set it up to run 3d games in SLI configuration (using both cards for sharing the load). Now she's hooked.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.