Alabama's Mr. Football (link)

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GAMEFACE:
Where do we stand with him right now?</font>
He has been offered....and is weighing his options.He was offered as an athlete not as a QB.
drjamesm

Dman520

Banned
Aug 24, 2002
montgomery Al
In 2003, Nickson, a 6-foot-1, 190-pounder, passed for 2,963 yards and 42 touchdowns, while leading the Bulldogs (14-1) in rushing with 1,488 yards and 23 touchdowns. Nickson also returned an interception and a punt for scores to set the state mark.

"Words can't explain what I feel right now," said Nickson, who ended his high school career with 9,806 total yards and 142 touchdowns

And they didn't offer him as a QB? You've got to be kidding me. Why dont they offer john parker wilson as a RB?

I don't have inside info but I'd be part of the reason he's not been offered as a QB is his height. He's listed as 6'. Considering how most high schools fudge when it comes to listing a players weight and height, I'd bet he's more like 5'11", maybe even 5'10". I've talked with a friend who's seen him play. He says there's no way this kid is 6'1".

IF (and that's a big IF), he is indeed 5'11" or especially 5'10", I just don't see how he can be effective at the Division I level at QB. He'd have WAY too many passes batted down at the LOS and would have trouble seeing the whole field.

RTRMAN

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 5, 2003
Gwinnett County Georgia
we don't need to give a scholly this season to a QB.....we've got a boatload of young QB's on the team now.....if this guy had the size to go with the stats then maybe....i'd rather burn a scholly on a QUALITY kicker....someone who can kick the ball OUT of the endzone and can make a 40 yard FG!

DieHardTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2003
Mulga, AL
Does anyone here honestly think Brodie Croyle is 6'2" 200lbs.? High schools aren't the only ones who know how to fudge the numbers. Give the guy a shot at QB, if it doesn't work out, move him to another position (anyone remember UT's Banks this year?). At this point Alabama needs playmakers at any position. If size were an issue Tyrone Prothro would be hauling luggage off the bus instead of playing for the Crimson Tide. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Roll Tide Roll

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DieHardTideFan:
Does anyone here honestly think Brodie Croyle is 6'2" 200lbs.? High schools aren't the only ones who know how to fudge the numbers. Give the guy a shot at QB, if it doesn't work out, move him to another position (anyone remember UT's Banks this year?). At this point Alabama needs playmakers at any position. If size were an issue Tyrone Prothro would be hauling luggage off the bus instead of playing for the Crimson Tide. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Roll Tide Roll
</font>
Brodie is 6'2,I have serous doubts about 200#, I have seen him in person....I did not get him to step on a scale,and have never worked at a state fair so guessing weight is not my thing. However, I do have faith in CMS and will refuse to second guess his recruiting tactics. I believe CMS is doing the right thing{ telling JPW to play football only.....and he has met CN and knows what his height is and is a better judge on what it takes to be a sec QB than most fans. That said I believe we should wait and not be so critical of UA recruiting.
drjamesm

DieHardTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2003
Mulga, AL
Not being critical, just saying give the guy a chance at QB. What can it hurt? If he doesn't make it, move him, or give his scholly to a walk on. I know we don't have any to waste, but 142 TDs is 142TDs!! He knows how to score is an easy qualifier (4.0GPA and up for valedictorian). As for the hieght and weight thing many people exaggerate that for whatever reason. I was just saying that if we recruited by ideal numbers for these positions we would only be recruiting 3 to 4 guys a year. Heart still has a lot of play in college football.

Roll Tide Roll

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Even if he's under six feet, he could still be an effective QB in certain types of offenses. Probably not Coach Shula's offense though.

At least Coach Shula's being honest with them, unlike Tubby, who'd promise anything under the sun, knowing he's lying through his teeth.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Coach Shula did not recruit Avalos Fran did. He was recruited by fran for his running ability which is not what Shula's offense will be designed to do. Also Avalos only played because the other two QBs were injured not because that was Coach Shula's plan.

DieHardTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2003
Mulga, AL
Machen had just as much experience in Shula's system as Avalos did, how come he didn't play then? I can understand him playing as a last ditch effort, but what is the difference between Avalos and Machen? About 6 in. and 30lbs. it seems to me.

Roll Tide Roll

RTRMAN

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 5, 2003
Gwinnett County Georgia
what about this Machen monster?....do you think he could turn out to be a player?....he sure has the size to take the hits....i believe he is an ex-baseballer who wants to try his hand at football again?...anyone have any thoughts on this guy?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TiderinVA:
I don't have inside info but I'd be part of the reason he's not been offered as a QB is his height. He's listed as 6'. Considering how most high schools fudge when it comes to listing a players weight and height, I'd bet he's more like 5'11", maybe even 5'10". I've talked with a friend who's seen him play. He says there's no way this kid is 6'1".

IF (and that's a big IF), he is indeed 5'11" or especially 5'10", I just don't see how he can be effective at the Division I level at QB. He'd have WAY too many passes batted down at the LOS and would have trouble seeing the whole field.
</font>
Yeah, we know what kind of sorry D-1 QB Doug Flutie made. Couldn't play in the NFL either.

I'm talking NFL, Dman. Drew Brees IS 6'. I was actually watching it when he was measured by the NFL. Woody Dantzler is playing in the NFL but not as a QB. He was a somewhat effective QB in college but nothing spectacular. Michael Vick is also 6'1". His brother Marcus (current VT QB) is 6'. Joe Hamilton is precariously hanging on at Tampa Bay (if I'm not mistaken) as the #3 QB. I don't think he's ever taken a snap in a game.

Try again.

Dixiedawg

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Mobile, Ala
www.geocities.com
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RTRMAN:
we don't need to give a scholly this season to a QB.....we've got a boatload of young QB's on the team now.....if this guy had the size to go with the stats then maybe....i'd rather burn a scholly on a QUALITY kicker....someone who can kick the ball OUT of the endzone and can make a 40 yard FG!</font>
Conventional wisdom says you don't waste a scholly on a kicker let'em walk on and earn one. considering how little depth we have elsewhere I would tend to agree at this time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.