Who was the last true Conservative President?

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.
Conservatives have certain ideals, such as one who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties. This would be a person who conforms to established standards of conduct (especially in religious matters). True Conservatives shun government intrusion, big deficits, infringement of personal privacy and freedom, excess government bureaucracy, wasteful spending, excess Foreign Aid before the needs of the American people are considered, a strong military, etc.

In my opinion, the last Republican President that fits this mold would have been Dwight D. Eisenhower. I don't see another since him including the present one. Every other one since him has turned away from 'true' Conservative ideals in an effort to please all sides including the 'ultra right' and religious fundamentalist. If not that, they have seen large deficits and expanding government that infringes on more and more privacy. Who other than Eisenhower could be said to be a Conservative who stuck to all of the ideals of Conservatism? Anyone?

[This message has been edited by ed4tide4u2 (edited 06-24-2004).]

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Nixon. The 1st Bush would have qualified except after 8 years as VP & seeing how popular it was to cut taxes without any care of fiscal responsibility, he sold out to Reganomics. In 1980 he called it Vodoo Economics.

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bamaro:
Nixon. The 1st Bush would have qualified except after 8 years as VP & seeing how popular it was to cut taxes without any care of fiscal responsibility, he sold out to Reganomics. In 1980 he called it Vodoo Economics. </font>
I think Nixon had his problems but he was closer to the Conservative ideals. He was Conservative in many areas but not in ego. He could say that he stuck to his principles, right or wrong. His main problem was the people around him. No one had the guts to disagree with him.

Pachydermatous

All-American
Feb 21, 2000
Birmingham, AL, Jefferson
ed4tide4u2 ---

The fallacy here is the assumption that every president takes office in a political vacuum, unencumbered by the past and with perfect freedom to plow his own furrow.

This is seldom if ever the case.

Ike came in at a time when voters were ready to upchuck at the Truman administration. After two decades of Democrat rule people found themselves mired in a bloody Korean War which Truman was unable to win and bound not to quit. Voters were scared witless at the specter of international communism; the economy was in a mess as we tried to change from war to peacetime production; and people were just generally weary and longing for a little normalcy.

This was a vastly different electorate from today's, or even that of the 1960s. There were no dope-smoking, fly-infested hippies running wild and the Democrat Party still harbored many honest, old-fashioned souls who admitted they had come a cropper. Even the media was ready to give the New Deal a rest. Ike was swept into office in a landslide.

There are some similarities between Ike's and Reagan's entrances. Ron was elected after a perfectly disastrous Jimmy Carter administration during which both the domestic economy, foreign relations and the U.S. image went down the toilet.

But both the electorate and the Democrats were vastly changed. During Ike's second run for the presidency the worst Democrats dared say was to compare him to "Mr. Clean," the bald-headed symbol of a popular kitchen cleanser, and to charge that he played too much golf. This last was true. He did play a lot of golf.

When Reagan appeared on the scene Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and Ron's opposition was more nearly akin to the nasty little specimens who populate the capital today. What did they charge him with? Let me count the ways: 1. He was too old, possibly senile and half deaf. 2. He fell asleep at meetings. 3. He was an agent of the White Power conspiracy which wanted to return slavery. 4. He would grind the faces of the poor and would abolish both food stamps and unions (and how they cackled when he did smash the Flight Controller's Union). 5. He was a cowboy who would get us into a thermonuclear war with Russia (does this sound familiar?).

There was lots more, but I don't want to fill the whole post with nonsense. Just a reminder of events which might become obscured in the eulogies of Reagan's funeral.
Although Ron won a decisive victory over Carter, he did not become universally popular until he was shot in the attempted assassination. But even as he lay in the hospital between life and death, the vastly-different media of the day was grabbing cabinet members on-camera and demanding, "Who's running the country?"

In assessing the conservatism of Ike and Ron don't forget:

1. Ike was dealing with an opposition party which still retained some mote of honesty and self-respect. Reagan was dealing with Democrats who dogged him at every step, even declaring his budgets "dead on arrival" in Congress. (Here insert a plug for the Iran-Contra hearings which Dems fondly hoped would result in Reagan's impeachment --- and which were foiled by their own incompetence.)

2. Ike combated Soviet Russian communism tooth and nail but he did not end it. Reagan did. (Here let's give a plug to Richard Nixon who started the avalanche by driving a capitalistic wedge between the Soviet Union and Red China.)

3. Ike's image, as commander of ETO armies and liberator of Western Europe, was impervious to any attack by the media. Reagan was fair game for any shot, but he handled himself so well most volleys bounced off.

4. Both were harassed by ultra-conservatives in their own parties. Ike had to contend with Joe McCarthy and he quietly squashed the outspoken Wisconsin senator. Reagan was hounded by the far-right in his own party who demanded he abolish this or that costly government ornament, completely ignoring the realities of Congress.

[This message has been edited by Pachydermatous (edited 06-24-2004).]

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
James Buchanan.

Goldwater would have been a decent 20th century facsimile of a conservative President. LBJ demagogued him, and was rewarded by an craven, uninformed, shallow electorate.

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.
I can't believe it!! I find that I am somewhat in agreement with Pachy and TommyMac! You both make good points to consider. Times have changed.Somebody get me an advil! Quick! LOL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NBF_Bama_Cavalry:
Jefferson Davis</font>
Actually, you may be correct about Jeff Davis. Most people will say that President Reagan was the last conservative president, but Hebert Hoover was more conservative than President Reagan.

President Reagan was not a real Conservative. The Federal government expanded during his administration, the budget ran at a deficit, and he was obsessed with appointing the first woman to the Supreme Court. If he had appointed Robert Bork before Sandra Day O’Connor, the Court would have been more conservative. He failed by appointing Robert Bork later, after the Democrats had gained enough votes in the Senate to block the nomination.

President Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren as Chief Justice. That was not the act of a conservative.

I do not believe that there has been a true conservative U. S. president since the War Between the States.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ed4tide4u2:
I think Nixon had his problems but he was closer to the Conservative ideals. He was Conservative in many areas but not in ego. He could say that he stuck to his principles, right or wrong. His main problem was the people around him. No one had the guts to disagree with him.

</font>
Nixon imposed wage and price controls. That was not the act of a conservative. Plus, he made friends with the Red Chinese, and began to abandon our Chinese friends on Taiwan.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Really Big Bama Fan:
Actually, you may be correct about Jeff Davis. Most people will say that President Reagan was the last conservative president, but Hebert Hoover was more conservative than President Reagan.

President Reagan was not a real Conservative. The Federal government expanded during his administration, the budget ran at a deficit, and he was obsessed with appointing the first woman to the Supreme Court. If he had appointed Robert Bork before Sandra Day O’Connor, the Court would have been more conservative. He failed by appointing Robert Bork later, after the Democrats had gained enough votes in the Senate to block the nomination.

President Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren as Chief Justice. That was not the act of a conservative.

I do not believe that there has been a true conservative U. S. president since the War Between the States.

</font>
I base my belief on the criteria in the originial post.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">True Conservatives shun government intrusion, big deficits, infringement of personal privacy and freedom, excess government bureaucracy, wasteful spending, excess Foreign Aid before the needs of the American people are considered, a strong military, etc.</font>
I don't think we've had one since Jefferson Davis. Lincoln was certainly not. Ever since the South lost the war, America has been a democracy instead of a republic. As a consequence, the constitution has become steadily weaker and the central government has become stronger.

I'm not saying that democracy is a bad thing, just that the founders envisioned and created a republic. Based on all that, Davis is the only one who fits the bill.

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.

</font>
I don't think Eisenhower's selection of Earl Warren should be enough in itself to disqualify his Conservative beliefs and actions. Once appointed, Supreme Court Justices have to answer to no one.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Without a doubt, Reagan. GWB may surpass him in a second term, but I doubt it. He has caved in way too much so far on domestic issues, and has never issued a veto(should have done with McCain/Feingold, imo). Those of you citing Nixon as such need to read one of Bob Novak's recent columns which acutely compares Reagan's presidency with his, and how the Reagan era was really a "mirror image" of the Nixon presidency, in other words, polar opposite.

I don't think Eisenhower's selection of Earl Warren should be enough in itself to disqualify his Conservative beliefs and actions. Once appointed, Supreme Court Justices have to answer to no one.

</font>
The selection of Earl Warren as Chief Justice had more effect on the liberalization of America and the trampling of state's rights than any other Presidential action during the second-half of the 20th Century.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The selection of Earl Warren as Chief Justice had more effect on the liberalization of America and the trampling of state's rights than any other Presidential action during the second-half of the 20th Century.

</font>
Amen brother.

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.

</font>
Earl Warren only had one vote. It took four other Justices to pass whatever decree the Supreme Court passed. The Supreme Court is an institution unto itself and is not controlled by the Executive Branch. Regardless of the effects of 'their' decisions during this time, Eisenhower is not to blame for appointing Warren. If that is the case then, Bush can thank the Supreme Court for his annointing as President. It wasn't by popular vote for sure. If I am not mistaken, 'States Rights' was settled in 1865. The term States Rights was used as a cover to protect injustices occuring in the states that many felt the Federal Government should not involve itself in. Thank goodness States Rights didn't win. The primary concern should be the 'peoples rights' as in the American people as a whole and not one section of the nation as opposed to another.

[This message has been edited by ed4tide4u2 (edited 06-26-2004).]

Earl Warren only had one vote. It took four other Justices to pass whatever decree the Supreme Court passed. The Supreme Court is an institution unto itself and is not controlled by the Executive Branch. Regardless of the effects of 'their' decisions during this time, Eisenhower is not to blame for appointing Warren. If that is the case then, Bush can thank the Supreme Court for his annointing as President. It wasn't by popular vote for sure. If I am not mistaken, 'States Rights' was settled in 1865. The term States Rights was used as a cover to protect injustices occuring in the states that many felt the Federal Government should not involve itself in. Thank goodness States Rights didn't win. The primary concern should be the 'peoples rights' as in the American people as a whole and not one section of the nation as opposed to another.

[This message has been edited by ed4tide4u2 (edited 06-26-2004).]
</font>
To avoid the rise of demagogues and dictators, the president is not elected by popular vote. The Electoral College was supposed to function as a nominating method for the best possible presidential candidates. The actual election was intended to take place in the House of Representatives, the way the Parliament elects the Prime Minister, with each state having only one vote. The system never functioned as intended because national political parties developed to run their own slates of electors within the Electoral College that were pledged to the party nominees.

The appointment of Earl Warren gave the liberals the majority on the court, and he aggressively provided the leadership and direction to usurp the congressional powers of enforcement through appropriate legislation as specified in the 14th Amendment. Once he had taken over the legislative role specified for congress, he proceeded to trample the Ninth and Tenth Amendments of the Bill of Rights.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.