Jake Smith

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
On a side note (to be positive) pops don't always amount to anything. I coach baseball and my arm (elbow & shoulder) pops every now and then, but it is fine the next day. Granted I am older (about to be 33) but he may be ok. I hope so.

bamzoo

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 2, 2008
I think Cecil may have misinterpreted something Coach Wells said. I was in Starkville and he seemed fine throughout the game last night. I think Coach was talking about his pitching status for this and the next two weekends, not his status for playing 3b or even pitching in the postseason. After seeing him finish out the game and post-game leaving the stadium, I cant imagine Jake is really injured badly.

resmith

1st Team
Jul 25, 2006
I have to believe if it was a structural problem with his shoulder or elbow, then they would have removed him from the game to avoid him having to make any hard throws from third base. I think that they didn't want him to pitch until he could be evaluated, and let's hope that this is nothing that would prevent him from pitching and playing. Right now he is our MVP.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
That's a poorly-worded, deceiving headline. In the article, Coach Wells specifically states that he does not know what Smith's status is, and that he will be evaluated today. A headling proclaiming that a player "may be out for season" with absolutely no confirmation of the nature and severity of the injury is the kind of garbage you'd expect from one of the New York tabloids - not from a paper owned by The New York Times.

Bama Baseball 1

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2007
Duncanville, AL
I just hope this is all a misunderstanding.

That said, it has always been difficult to get information on player injuries.

Hopefully we will see Adam Morgan return soon, and this article was an over reaction by the paper.

Jake has been playing really good ball lately, and if we could get a few good breaks, this team could go a long way. They just discussed the other night that if you can peak at the right time, and find somewhere around 5 pitchers for tournament time, anything is possible. Just look at last year. Your eventual National Champion, did not even win their conference.

RTR
:BigA:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Never a good sign when you're talking about a pitcher, but hopefull things we'll be fine. Alabama needs him in the late innings, but more importantly is him getting healthy.

bamzoo

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 2, 2008
Jake started the game and played until the delay at DH. If anything it must just be a little tendonitis or soreness in the throwing arm, I think we can breathe a sigh of relief and put Cecil's misleading headline/writing behind us. Jake should be fine, and remember, he's a tough kid. The guy wore a 93+mph fastball from LSU's Ranaudo on the hand and had two more hits that game, and didnt miss another the rest of the weekend.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
At this point, Jake's pitching is more important to this team than his hitting. That's saying a lot, because he's knocked the cover off the ball this year; unfortunately, it's also a reflection of the execrable state of the bullpen. We have enough offensive firepower to compensate for the loss of Jake's bat (although defensively, there's a pretty dramatic dropoff with May at third). If Jake's unable to pitch, who takes the ball to protect a lead in the late innings? Kilcrease seems like the logical choice, but he can't afford any more outings like Friday night's debacle.

Somewhat surprisingly, Quigley has pitched only one inning in SEC play this season. Granted, his performance has hardly warranted giving him the ball on weekends, but he is really the only other healthy arm in the pen that has ever experienced any success against SEC hitters. He certainly hasn't pitched any worse than most of the other alternatives.

In SEC games, the combined ERA of Nelson, Kebodeaux, Quigley, Graham, White, Evans and Head: 13.99 :bs_help:

bamzoo

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 2, 2008
At this point, Jake's pitching is more important to this team than his hitting. That's saying a lot, because he's knocked the cover off the ball this year; unfortunately, it's also a reflection of the execrable state of the bullpen. We have enough offensive firepower to compensate for the loss of Jake's bat (although defensively, there's a pretty dramatic dropoff with May at third). If Jake's unable to pitch, who takes the ball to protect a lead in the late innings? Kilcrease seems like the logical choice, but he can't afford any more outings like Friday night's debacle.

Somewhat surprisingly, Quigley has pitched only one inning in SEC play this season. Granted, his performance has hardly warranted giving him the ball on weekends, but he is really the only other healthy arm in the pen that has ever experienced any success against SEC hitters. He certainly hasn't pitched any worse than most of the other alternatives.

In SEC games, the combined ERA of Nelson, Kebodeaux, Quigley, Graham, White, Evans and Head: 13.99 :bs_help:

His pitching has been huge, but i'm still confident they can make something out of this season without him, regardless of the struggles in the bullpen. One of the glimmers of hope is that it seems guys like Kilcrease and White have been either steaming hot or ice cold. We may drop one because of a bad performance from the pen, but they also both have proven they can win one for us too, particularly in a key situation (ala White in the Saturday LSU game).

As for Quigley, we can forget ever seeing him in Crimson and White again, he tore his ACL in some sort of "non-baseball" activity a few weeks ago.

With the wackiness this weekend we are only 1.5 games back of the overall SEC title lead. I'm very excited to see what our guys do with the biggest weekend of the year coming up. It could just be my wishful thinking, but a series win over Arkansas may bring a regional host bid to Tuscaloosa.
RTR

resmith

1st Team
Jul 25, 2006
I will be the first to admit that I have not seen as many games as I would like to have seen this year, but here are my thoughts on the pitching:
Hyatt has been lights out all year. He has developed into the best pitcher in the conference in my opinion, and it is about poise, brains, and concentration, not about having the best stuff.
Just when I thought that Morgan and Howell were coming around to form a strong rotation for the weekend series, Morgan comes up with the arm problems that seem to crop up every year from our pitchers throwing 135-140 pitches every start. I just hope we haven't hurt him in a way that will have long-term consequences. Howell has the ability, and has had some good starts. I was disappointed with his start Saturday, but impressed that he could overcome his shaky first inning and give us 4 strong innings after the first. Those 3 have got to carry us the rest of the year, assuming Morgan comes back soon as I am hearing.
Kilcrease has had some good innings, and Scott gave us a great start last weekend, but they are pretty erratic. I am ready to see White given more opportunities, and just hope and pray that Jake can come back and give us another arm out of the pen. The rest of the staff just isn't up to SEC standards, and we really cannot count on them IMO.
Still, it has been a fun year watching the team score bunches of runs and watching the HRs fly out of the park. I am thinking that we can get another 5 wins in the next couple of weeks and maybe a couple more in the SECT. If so, then maybe we do get a shot at hosting a regional.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Good post, resmith.

I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a noticeable difference in Kilcrease's results when he pitches from the stretch. While I haven't looked at the results to verify this, it seems as if he's more effective when starting an inning, yet struggles with runners on base. He's still an extremely important part of the bullpen, provided that he is allowed to work within his limitations. He is best-suited for 1-2 inning stints. Because he doesn't have much "gas in the tank," not to mention very little margin for error, having him enter a game in long relief and expecting him to eat innings is simply asking for trouble.

Let's hope that returning to the mound after such a lengthy rain delay was the reason behind Scott's shellacking. It's a pretty good indication of the lack of the confidence Coach Wells has in his bullpen when he leaves a guy in to serve up five home runs before finally making a change (that or, he's either: (a) sadistic; (b) stupid; (c) asleep in the dugout; or (d) all of the above). Scott must not allow what happened in Starkville to affect his confidence going forward.

Howell has followed up a truly stellar six-start run with a pair of absolute clunkers against Kentucky and Mississippi State. In those starts, totaling 8.1 innings, he allowed 12 earned runs, due largely to his having issued an absurdly high total of 12 walks. This is pretty alarming, to say the least. Unless the Del Howell that we saw in his first six starts returns immediately, our best chance to win may be to have Hyatt pitch every inning of every game from here on out.

By no means am I suggesting that he's the answer to all of this staff's problems, but maybe it's time for one last roll of the dice on Quigley. I know I posted this earlier, but he's only worked one inning in SEC play. While his performance to date is hardly inspiring, he still has 24 strikeouts in 19.2 innings, which suggests somewhat that the stuff is still there. At this point, I'd rather see him on the mound than others that have been run out there lately.

cbastudent

3rd Team
Oct 17, 2005
By no means am I suggesting that he's the answer to all of this staff's problems, but maybe it's time for one last roll of the dice on Quigley. I know I posted this earlier, but he's only worked one inning in SEC play. While his performance to date is hardly inspiring, he still has 24 strikeouts in 19.2 innings, which suggests somewhat that the stuff is still there. At this point, I'd rather see him on the mound than others that have been run out there lately.
According to Bamzoo from earlier in the thread:

"As for Quigley, we can forget ever seeing him in Crimson and White again, he tore his ACL in some sort of "non-baseball" activity a few weeks ago."

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
According to Bamzoo from earlier in the thread:

"As for Quigley, we can forget ever seeing him in Crimson and White again, he tore his ACL in some sort of "non-baseball" activity a few weeks ago."
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Once again, "non-baseball" activity took precedence over his obligation to his team. Sadly, and maddeningly, that's a fitting conclusion to the collegiate career of one of the most frustrating players of the Wells era.

Last edited:

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
My best guess is that Quigley was intoxicated and jumped off somewhere very high up, like a huge deck or a roof, or off a moving car.
Dating back to his high school days, probably one of the biggest wastes of talent ever, regardless of school choice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.