Loyal "Gamecock Fan" is back

sunbear

Sep 27, 2004
I told you guys last week that I would be back this week whether we won or lost.

I was at the game and first of all I would like to say how nice and courteous all of the Alabama fans were both before and after the game. As a matter of fact, we partied with some Alabama fans before the game and had a great time. We will treat you just as well when you come to Columbia next year. You guys also have a very nice stadium that any high school recruit would be proud to play in. If I were a recruit coming out of high school, I would have to give Alabama a long hard look but I would probably go to South Carolina or one of the other SEC schools after watching that game Saturday night. I would not want to play where the fans give up and leave midway through the 3rd quarter no matter what the tradition is.

You need to give credit where credit is due. Whether you think so or not, you did not lose to a bad team Saturday night. You will see at the end of the year where we will stand and you will look back on Saturday night and say we lost to a pretty good team. I don't know about Alabama but we are going bowling. Alabama has good players but I noticed Saturday night that Alabama had a lot on individual efforts, they were not all on the same page and not playing as a team. That has do do with coaching and preparation and the players buying into what the coaching staff is trying to do. On the other side of the field, Lou Holtz has gotten his players to buy into what he is trying to do. All of the players are on the same page and playing as a team like a well oiled machine. At one point in the game, I saw Holtz call Syvelle Newton over to the sideline and he really got in his face, chewed him up and spit him out. It must have worked because he scored two touchdowns shortly thereafter. I was waching Shula with my binoculars but I never saw him even speak to a player. He doesn't seem to be very hands on with the players.

The loss Saturday night was a lot worse than the score indicated. We fumbled twice in scoring position and at the end of the game Holtz chose not to run up the score the way Alabama did to Western Carolina. The score should have been like 41 - 3. You keeping talking about your problem is because Croyle got hurt and you are having to play with your second string quarterback. Well, Syvelle Newton happens to be our second string quarterback and he has only played in two games prior to this one but he was poised and confident as you saw for yourselves. He will be our quarteback for the next two years. You will have to deal with him again next year as well as our young defensive backs.

You guys made fun of Holtz last week on here with all the Granny pictures but I bet that you would love to have him as your coach. Alabama not only got outplayed but also outcoached Saturday night. Holtz could have taken the current Alabama team and motivated them to the point where they would have won that game. Alabama has some problems but they are not as bad as you think. What kind of signal do you think it sends to the players when they look up midway through the third quarter and see half the fans leaving. The players gave up Saturday night because, YOU, the fans gave up on them.

You didn't gain just 34 yards and 1 first down in the second half because you were missing Croyle, its because that is all we let you have. You never even crossed the 50 yard line in the second half. Give our defense some credit, how about it. Fred Bennett, USC's defensive back that had two of the FOUR interceptions said it best in Sunday's paper. He said, Alabama's quarterbacks were easier to read than a "Dick and Jane" book. Go to www.thestate.com to read his comments. He said they were telegraphing their passes exactly where they were looking. They were just teeing off on the quarterbacks. With your quarterbacks playing like that, I wouldn't chalk up a win against Kentucky just yet. I don't know who your quarterbacks coach is but he needs to teach them how to look off the defensive backs.

Eventhough we beat you soundly Saturday night, the "Gamecocks" will do the Tide fans a big favor this year. I promise you that we will beat Mr. Fulmer and Voluteers like a drum when they come to Columbia on October 30. You can take that to the bank. "Trick or Treat" Mr Fulmer! We don't like him either.

I truly hope you guys get things together and at least make a bowl game so you have something to build on for next year. The Alabama fans deserve it after what they have had to go through the past few years. The Gamecocks will be ready for you when you come to Columbia next year. Hopefully will make it three in a row.

Sunbear

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Sunbear: Much of what you say hurts and hurts a lot. Unfortunately for us it is also mostly true. The Tide did not play well Saturday which made SC look a whole lot better than it is. You may say because SC did not allow the Tide to play well. We'll just have to agree to differ on that one.

While Brodie is just one player on the team, his loss for the year irrevocably changed the team's chemistry and personality. The players are still trying to find their identity with MG or SP. Hopefully, they will make a bowl -- any bowl -- just to get the extra practice time.

We've had it rough these last years but the Tide is the Tide and will rise again. Won't be this year or next but be warned, the Crimson Tide will be back on top. Look forward to next year in SC

HalloweenTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2004
Dothan, Alabama
Congratulations Sunbear. We did get outplayed and outcoached. But, we will be back. This is a temporary setback for us. I have to disagree with you though on Brodie. Our offence does miss him and we havent gotten into a rhythm of any kind with our backups. IF he had not gotten hurt, it would have made for a more interesting game. But you know what they say about ifs and buts. Anyway, Newton is a pretty good qb. He isnt polished but he runs the ball on instinct pretty well. He isnt a very good passer though and if you have to pass in the future, you may find yourselves out of luck. I do wish y'all luck the rest of the way and hope you can win the East. We will be back next year and hopefully it will be a different outcome.

Roll Tide.

Mar 21, 2001
Albertville,AL
that was a very good post, and congrats on your win, maybe you will win alot more this year. Brodie does seem to have been the glue that held our team together and it makes you wonder why our coaches did not work harder with our back up QB's in case #1 went down. There alot Coach Shula could learn from your coach and yes I hope too all those who posted those nasty pictures are eating crow today. Your coach has spunk, he needs to share some of it with the coaches on the Bama sidelines.

TideTiger2005

1st Team
Jul 16, 2004
Anyone think Guillion's pregame remarks didn't have an affect on the outcome of the game?

Read the article to which sunbear is referring: Bennetts play picks up Gamecocks

Simpson, who is tied with Bennett with three interceptions this season, said the defensive backs grew tired of pre-game talk that Alabama would be able to throw the ball because the Gamecocks would have to pay so much attention to the Crimson Tide's strong running game.

“We heard that we were going to have to put eight men in the box and he was just going to throw the ball on us,” Simpson said. “We knew that we were going to have to be ready for the pass and we just stepped up. The secondary stepped up tonight.”

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
your team played a great game and a lot of what you posted is VERY true regarding our fans. simply unacceptable! however it could do without the backhanded comments and condenscending tone!

try winning with class since you guys lose with class with the best of them. good luck the rest of the way!

RTR!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry Sunbear, you went a little overboard in your gloating with that 41-3 claim. You intimated that your two fumbles was the only reason the score wasn't worse, how about our four interceptions? Did you think we'd game-planned those? Look at both sides of the coin before you make ridiculous statements.

As for Granny's magical communications skills and his ability to get everyone on the same page, what was old Silver-Tongue doing the last two years when y'all went 5-7 and got demolished 63-17 by your hated rival? Guess he had everyone on the wrong page. And no, I wouldn't like to have Granny as our HC. He's a master of the quick turnaround, but then there's a return to mediocrity, such as your 5-7 records in his 4th and 5th seasons. In the 4th and 5th years of a coaches tenure, he should have his program solidly in place and not postinmg losing records. He dang sure shouldn't be getting beat by 46 points by the in-state rival who he's 1-4 against.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
South Carolina won. We giv eyou credit. How good you will be by end of the year is anybody's guess.

As far as I ma concerned, may he11 freeze over before we want Holtz as our coach. You can have your used car salesman.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I was kind of shocked by all the fans leaving so early :eek: . Sure it was hard to watch with the way we were playing but where in the heck were they in such a hurry to get to? ESPN2 showed it a couple of times and commented on it.

Bamafanman

All-SEC
Oct 12, 1999
Pensacola, FL
Ramah Jamah said:
I guess my original post was too harsh. So I will just make my quick point regarding getting criticized by an SC fan about the fans leaving.

"COLUMBIA--Had Clemson fans decided to storm the Williams-Brice Stadium goal posts Saturday night following the Tigers' 63-17 victory, there wouldn't have been enough South Carolina fans left to stop them."

http://www.charleston.net/stories/112303/sap_23genecol.shtml

:D :D :D :D :D

Gimme a break Sunbear! What we got in the second half was "all (you) would let us have"???!!

In case you didn't notice, Pennington looked like Mr. Burns (from the Simpsons) trying to throw out there. 1/6 4yds, 2 gift picks and a fumble. All your defense did in the second half was make two easy catches, and stop about a half dozen runs after it was apparent that Pennington couldn't get the ball to a receiver if they were covered man on man by Hellen Keller.

While I have your attention, how'd you like the 0 catches and 0 yards that our corners and Roman Harper let the fabulous Troy Williamson have?

Your post tried to butter us up talking about how nice the stadium and the fans were and then does a 180 into dozens of lines of gloating.

I was shocked by two things in this game, one: our fans leaving, and two: how long Pennington was completely ineffective and stayed in the game.

My one consoling thing about this game: we managed 28 carries 148 yards 5.1 yards a carry on your defense despite the fact that our passing attack was so terrible.

I'm confident with a healthy Brodie, and what will be a deeper, more experienced team and staff, Bama will roll into Columbia in '05 and smack the Fighting Lou Holtz's in the mouth. It won't be payback either, just a little bit of putting things back to the way they should be.

I hope you beat the crap out of UT.

Last edited:

ashleync

Jun 29, 2001
Pelham, Alabama
Thanks for visiting Tuscaloosa. You speak some truth about the game Saturday night, but before you go singing the praises of ole Granny Clampett, might want to consider that you guys have looked awful the past two years, and even more, the first two seasons were 1-21.

Yes, 1-21.

Now, until Alabama endures a 1-21 stretch under your "Hall of Fame" Granny Clampett coach, we aren't even close to being comparable programs.

Get ready to get your a$$ handed to you in Columbia next year. We owe you one.

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
We fumbled twice in scoring position and at the end of the game Holtz chose not to run up the score the way Alabama did to Western Carolina. The score should have been like 41 - 3.

You are on crack.

Good game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.