Draft Summary

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Anyone going to summarize the Bama draft picks for this year? I curious to see how it turned out overall.

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004
Evan Mathis went in the third round and Wesley Britt went in the 5th round. Scouting reports claim that Britt's upper body strength held him back during his Combine. Anthony Bryant went in the 6th round, and Cornelius Wortham went in the 7th round. Reflective of our frustrations during the last two years. I would expect that Alabama will have a much better showing in next years draft with several defensive prospects on the chart. Evan and Wesley are expected to have good NFL careers. Anthony Bryant will hopefully find some motivation on Tampa's defense. I see Cornelius as a steal, with him being a better athlete than his testing would indicate. I hope Todd Bates and Ray Hudson get picked up as free agents.

BamaTodd

1st Team
Oct 8, 2002
Gotham City/Batcave
drsmithofga said:
I would expect that Alabama will have a much better showing in next years draft with several defensive prospects on the chart.

I hope so. Did you see where there was another school in the SEC that had FOUR players chosen in the first round, three of them in the top ten? And two of those three were in the top five. That's pretty impressive. Bama needs to start having that kind of talent. I'm not so sure that it's there right now, but it looks like it's improving.

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
BamaTodd said:
I hope so. Did you see where there was another school in the SEC that had FOUR players chosen in the first round, three of them in the top ten? And two of those three were in the top five. That's pretty impressive. Bama needs to start having that kind of talent. I'm not so sure that it's there right now, but it looks like it's improving.

I'll bet Ol Jim Bob was grinning

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
drsmithofga said:
I would expect that Alabama will have a much better showing in next years draft with several defensive prospects on the chart.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I would disagree with that assessment. Looking over our upcoming SR class, I am hard pressed to see several draft prospects. Demeco Ryans has some mid-round potential, and Freddie Roach has a shot to be drafted. Nobody else is garnering a lot of attention heading into the season. Now of course a lot can happen between now and then. But right now, our defense is more of a case where they play great team defense and work togather, but there isn't a lot of high level talent in the upper classes. Don't think for a minute I would trade them for any other unit in the nation though! Just think some school had four players in the first round and still wasn't good enough to win a National Championship.

BamaTodd

1st Team
Oct 8, 2002
Gotham City/Batcave
BigTex said:
I'll bet Ol Jim Bob was grinning

Big Tex, how are you, my friend? I didn't mean my quote to sound like BJB, but looking at it a second time, I can see where it does resemble some of his fine work. And yes, he would be grinning at that post.

Do you still have that orange shirt that your girlfriend gave you a couple of years ago?

:eek2:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think with our noted lack of high draft picks lately and the absolute unexplainable number of catastrophic knee injuries suffered last year its hard to understand why Shula is still being blamed for the second consecutive non winning season. Granted bear bryant shula may not be, but who could have possibly coached that group of rag tag walking wounded to victory last year, I have watched football a long time, and if you don't have the talent in the SEC your going to lose, and no amount or quality of coaching can change that.

brighter days are ahead no matter what.

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
BamaTodd said:
Big Tex, how are you, my friend? I didn't mean my quote to sound like BJB, but looking at it a second time, I can see where it does resemble some of his fine work. And yes, he would be grinning at that post.

Do you still have that orange shirt that your girlfriend gave you a couple of years ago?

Howdy Bama Todd ! Going well here with me ! How is the little linebacker doing ? And %$^& no I dont have that orange shirt ! It was trashed a long time ago.........

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
GrandBayTider said:
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I would disagree with that assessment. Looking over our upcoming SR class, I am hard pressed to see several draft prospects. Demeco Ryans has some mid-round potential, and Freddie Roach has a shot to be drafted. Nobody else is garnering a lot of attention heading into the season. Now of course a lot can happen between now and then. But right now, our defense is more of a case where they play great team defense and work togather, but there isn't a lot of high level talent in the upper classes. Don't think for a minute I would trade them for any other unit in the nation though! Just think some school had four players in the first round and still wasn't good enough to win a National Championship.

I think we'll have some DB's in the 2006 draft

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004
I would expect our DBs to have a strong chance, Demeco (I would put his prospects at better than mid-round) and Freddie look good at LB, and Mark Anderson is rated high. Ken Darby will have the option, and Brodie could go early. J.B. Closner could step up this year and get a chance for the pros.

BamaTodd

1st Team
Oct 8, 2002
Gotham City/Batcave
BigTex said:
Howdy Bama Todd ! Going well here with me ! How is the little linebacker doing ? And %$^& no I dont have that orange shirt ! It was trashed a long time ago.........
I'm glad that you got rid of that shirt....

Little Willie G is doing just fine. He's 2 1/2 and growing like a weed. His little sister, Caroline Grace turned one on April 15. He has his Bama jersey that he puts on a runs around the house in carrying a football, and little sister has not one but TWO Bama cheerleading outfits.

William George and Caroline Grace. Thhhaaatt's right--I named my kids Will and Grace.

Bamafan in BGKY

3rd Team
Jan 1, 2005
Bowling Green, Ky
Roman Harper

Hello,
Hello,
Hello,

Is anyone awake here????? Are you all suffering from a brain F***!

Roman Harper is pre-season ALL American Safety. Did you not think with his ability and his size that he would be a first rounder. How many Safeties and Corners were drafted this time in the first round.

I'm no expert, but I believe he might be a first rounder, and if D. Ryans improves on last year, he'll be a first rounder too.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Bamafan in BGKY said:
Hello,
Hello,
Hello,

Roman Harper is pre-season ALL American Safety. Did you not think with his ability and his size that he would be a first rounder. How many Safeties and Corners were drafted this time in the first round.

I'm no expert, but I believe he might be a first rounder, and if D. Ryans improves on last year, he'll be a first rounder too.
Not to mention Roman Harper also made the Playboy All-American team. ;)

Harper humbled by 'Playboy' award
Prattville's Roman Harper considered it an honest mistake when he learned this week that he had been named to the 2005 Playboy All-America college football team.

The Alabama free safety became the third Crimson Tide player in as many years to be named to the prestigious preseason squad, but he said the reality of the honor hasn't sunk in just yet.

"I didn't believe it when they told me," he said. "I guess they got me confused with somebody else."

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
Bamafan in BGKY said:
Hello,
Hello,
Hello,

I agree Roman has a good shot at a high draft spot, but I was thinking he was a JR and thus would not be in the draft next year. I think Ryans is little small to be first rounder.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Here are some links from the Bama Team News Board with a whole lot of NFL Draft info.

SEC Football Players in the 2005 NFL Draft
• The SEC led all conferences this season in the most first round draft selections (10), first day selections (20) and most overall draft selections (37).
• Since the 1993 NFL Draft, the SEC has either tied or led the nation in most overall draft selections every year except four (1993, 1995, 1997 and 2004).
• The SEC's 10 first round selections tied a high for the league, also set in 1998. Since conference expansion in 1992, the SEC has had at least four first round selections every year with the exception of 1995 (3).
• The 37 total draft selections is the least for the SEC since 1997, when the league had 25 players selected. The SEC also had 37 players selected in the 1999 NFL Draft.
• For the first time since the 1998 NFL Draft, every SEC team had at least one player selected.
• It is the first time since the 1994 NFL Draft that every SEC team had at least one player selected by the end of the sixth round.
NFL Draft

CBS Sports NFL Draft Tracker

ESPN NFL Draft Central

SI 2005 NFL Draft

Fox NFL Draft Central

al.com NFL Draft

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.