Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA (will miss first half vs Rice)

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Johnny Manziel investigated by NCAA

It's interesting to me that, in all our run ins with the ncaa, we've cooperated fully.
If we would have just lawyered and laundered up!
We've generally cooperated and been commended for doing so, and while it's easy to play devil's advocate in hindsight, you certainly have to keep in mind that the NCAA we dealt with in 1993-95 and 2000-2002 was a far different beast than the paper tiger that it has become today.

And the irony of it is now, can we even play hardball with them anymore? Perhaps, but given the repeat offender garbage they always fling our way, we have very been hesitant to do so. Hopefully that all becomes a non-issue in the years ahead.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I have to admit the following! I would NEVER ask anyone for an autograph! Does that mean that their stuff doesn't stink. Does that mean they are
super human or gods on earth. I can live without anyone's autograph.

I just don't understand the crazy people who want them.

Now, I do like someone's autograph on a check made out for me, but only if they owe me.
I sat next to HTWMI on a plane from HSV to ATL. I could tell he wanted to go largely unrecognized - just gave him a Roll Tide as we got off the plane. What a difference between 2 HT winners

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
Or the company attorneys that wouldn't allow ESPN to publish a story that could lead to a lawsuit?
I don't know what you mean. Marsh is the attorney at Lightfoot Franklin handling these cases. His time as head of the infractions committee has made Marsh a sought after attorney for these issues. Our case did not have a negative impact on his career. Most outsiders likely think he did a fantastic job keeping us from getting the Death Penalty.

Stupid phone. I quoted wrong poster.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

So now, rather than the University announcing whether or not a player will play, the player's lawyer is making these announcements?
This is...absurd

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I would think that if Johnny admits to signing merchandise for an autograph dealer, then it will be up to Johnny to sufficiently explain why he did so...if not for money. It seems the evidence points that he did sign the autographs. This is not a court of law. I don't think A&M or Johnny wants to sue the NCAA and thereby give them subpoena power and make everyone testify under oath.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

An Aggie fan is saying he went to Alabama's Fan Day and was able to get all 22 projected starters to sign memorabilia after saying he would put it on e-bay. Who know's if it is true, but they are loony over there and out of touch.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2344289&forum_id=5
Does he mean the Fan Day that occurred a few hours prior to the Johnny Manziel story broke? Because let's be honest, that story would be the only reason he would think about doing that.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Does he mean the Fan Day that occurred a few hours prior to the Johnny Manziel story broke? Because let's be honest, that story would be the only reason he would think about doing that.
I thought the story initially broke on August 1. Fan Day was on August 4. Either way, that was some quick reaction. The bulk of the story on Manziel didn't start coming out until August 5.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I would think that if Johnny admits to signing merchandise for an autograph dealer, then it will be up to Johnny to sufficiently explain why he did so...if not for money. It seems the evidence points that he did sign the autographs. This is not a court of law. I don't think A&M or Johnny wants to sue the NCAA and thereby give them subpoena power and make everyone testify under oath.
Johnny admits he signed - Uncle Nasty takes the fall for charging the $$ - 2 game suspension. Back in 9/14

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

An Aggie fan is saying he went to Alabama's Fan Day and was able to get all 22 projected starters to sign memorabilia after saying he would put it on e-bay. Who know's if it is true, but they are loony over there and out of touch.

What a DA! I see nothing has changed at CS since fRan. The respect I had for their traditions, such as the Twelth Man, is gone.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Doubt that's true. I think there are some staffers standing near the players and I doubt this guy could have gotten to all 22 starters (even if he knew who they were).

Besides, unless he paid them "under the table" why does this even matter?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Doubt that's true. I think there are some staffers standing near the players and I doubt this guy could have gotten to all 22 starters (even if he knew who they were).
Yah, zero chance one could actually accomplish that based on what I've seen over the years.

Besides, unless he paid them "under the table" why does this even matter?
Technically, the NCAA rules says it's illegal for a player to sign something if he knows the recipient will be using it for monetary gain - that's their angle.

I really want to like the Aggies, but much of what I've seen in response to the JM allegations has been very barn-like.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

He said he told them he was going to sell them on e-bay. He also said the players all laughed when he said this. Assuming this is true, the players obviously didn't take him seriously so there was no wrong doing on their part.

I just wonder how he knew who the starting 22 are. Saban may not be 100% sure of everyone who will be starting yet.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

As packed as Fan Days have been, I have my doubts he had some serious banter with the players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.