Recruiting Update 12/31

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Okay, as stated in my very first report, Recruiting 101, Shula's #1 goal was to close the borders and it is quite evident that he has been successful.

With that said let's look at who is committed and who will/might commit soon and what are their academic standings.

Commitments: (16)
Expected to fully Qualify Commitments: (9)
N. Walker
J. Britt
C. Davis
T. Davidson
B. Stabler
JP Wilson
C. Turner
W. Oakley
T. Robinson

Commitments close to Qualifying: (5)
N. Stover
E. Knight
A. Johns
A. McDaniel
C. Dawson

Likely headed to prep or JC: (2)
K. Hamilton
J. Holifield

Projected to sign with the Tide: (6)
A. Caldwell - OL (C) - qualified announcing 1/5
S. Castille - CB/S - Qualified announcing 1/3
T. McCall - TE/FB/DE - Qualified announcing soon
M. Carter - S Qualified announcing soon
L. Washington - DT Qualified May be late announcement
E. Phillips - DE/LT - Sign and place
K. Mainord - DE - Qualified will announce if we start to run out

That is 20, minus Holifield and Hamilton. We can only sign 19.

It is not being talked about very much, but some of the current commitments have already been approached to gray shirt. That is where they don't join the team until December instead of August. Therefore they can workout until then and get stronger and have the benefit of a spring practice before their freshmen year. Some that have been approached, likely more as well are JP Wilson, who is very open to the idea, and Drew Davis. Davis is an OL that is being recruited by Miss. St. and Auburn.

Here are some more that are in the running:
M. Manson - qualified - if he were to sign with Bama I guarantee he won't gray shirt. Chances are good too.
C. Adams - OL - possible partial qualifier
DJ Hall - WR - We are in top 3, but Florida leads
M. Howeth - DE
B. Jackson - RB
D. Void - RB
L. Kendrick - WR (JC)
D. Muy - OL
D. Davis - OL - Gray Shirt

Side note: With the option of gray shirting, Bama can use them as free redshirt years. This will be huge getting around the 19 limit this year and put us in place with about 5 soon to be committed for 2005.

Alabama will also be receiving some talented walk ons at OL and WR.

Speculation:
Caldwell - Will announce next monday, Bama is leader.
Manson - Has decommitted from Florida which is a huge sign for Bama. He has not talked much though.
Castille - Will announce Saturday, Bama is leader
Carter - Was close to committing to Tide, but Auburn coaches asked for a visit first. Still think we get him. Could be domino effect once we hear from Castille and Caldwell.

Final point: If we see Caldwell and Castille commit this weekend then I feel that will cause a domino effect. If that happens look for commitments from McCall, Carter, and Mainord.

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year!

The Tide

GAMEFACE

1st Team
Feb 6, 2001
Cahaba Heights, Al. USA
AS always Tide thanks. That is great work. Hope we get Manson, Caldwell and Washington. Will we save a scholley for Washington if he picks late? What is the status on Voids test? Thanks and Rolllllll Tide!

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
If Washington or Manson were to commit you can count on it that they will have a scholarship waiting for them. Still waiting to hear on void. If we get Manson we won't sign Void unless it is for a gray shirt.

Patriot_81

Suspended
Jun 25, 2001
tuscaloosa, alabama, USA
If we get Markus great but if we don't there are two more RBs in Tuscaloosa that can replace them.
1) David McCants out of TCHS back up to Titus as Freshman. He is a real speedy guy that can break ankles.
2) Chris Greene from Hillcrest. Can run off tackle or hit the hole up the middle for huge gains. He doesn't have the problem of getting "hurt" like Markus.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Well if that certain position is not a definite need for 2004 or that player will most likely need a redshirt then it is beneficial because they don't use a year of eligibility and they come in and start working out in December 2004.

BAMAMAN

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Tuscaloosa, Al. USA
Yeah Patriot. I saw both McCants and Green against Central this year and both look like players. Nice speed with good moves. We need to get ALL the Tuscaloosa boys to stay home.

Patriot_81

Suspended
Jun 25, 2001
tuscaloosa, alabama, USA
Markus never decommitted. He just is taking visits to other schools. JeBron Manson might go to Oregon State or Oregon to play. If that happens that is a shame for Bama because he could lift a VW bug.

GAMEFACE

1st Team
Feb 6, 2001
Cahaba Heights, Al. USA
I wish we could sign both Manson and Void. From what I ve read and heard Void is the real deal. Kinda under the radar and not getting a lot of hype this year. I think he would be great but Manson would be huge. I hope his situation is settling down and he decides to stay home. I think we get Washington also. Tide or anyone else who knows, why is the kid from Homewood not getting recruited by anyone? I think whoever signs him will get diamond in the rough. Ive saw him play and he can jet. Not big and maybe that is why he isnt getting anyones attention. But he is quick and runs north and south. Who would we sign if we dont get Manson or Void? Skip rb til next year or what?

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
It's true that Manson is not completely decommited from Florida, but I place him in the same category as M. Carter. He is looking for a reason to go elsewhere.

kent4tide

Dec 7, 2003
i don't think bama is going to go after manson's cousin that hard, jebron....i don't think bama can take a chance on these potential guys, we have to have 19 good solid players who can produce early, if we had 25 then i'd say hell yeah offer the kid, but unfortnately we don't, so who knows...get him to grayshirt??? also this question is for Patriot....how can there be that many quality backs in Tuscaloosa? also which ones are juniors and are they going to be any good next year? also what about David Palmer's son, i heard he was really good and he's a Soph..rtr

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
LOL, his cousin? Well I talked to his cousin's brother's sister and she said he will actually be playing football next year. Mark it down.
LOL Hasn't shown signs of decommiting? LOL!

Patriot_81

Suspended
Jun 25, 2001
tuscaloosa, alabama, USA
Whatever I was right about JPW when y'all said he was going to mississippi because CMS wouldn't let him play two sports. JeBron doesn't want to stay at home and that's a shame because he is like DJ Williams of Miami. There are other ways to get football players on to Alabama's team besides athletic scholoarships like Jake Wingo whose dad [layed for Bryant can receive the Bryant scholi and play for Alabama (hint hint). Also Kent there aren't that many just 2 and nobody has heard of Chris because he backed up Markus and David made all 6A or something like that as a Jr. David is better than Markus and y'all don't believe go to TCHS next fall on Fridays and watch for yourself. I had the chance of playing with him and y'all have no idea how bad he wants to play for Bama. Also Tide JeBron doesn't have any siblings so don't try and act smart.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Patriot_81:
Whatever I was right about JPW when y'all said he was going to mississippi because CMS wouldn't let him play two sports. JeBron doesn't want to stay at home and that's a shame because he is like DJ Williams of Miami. There are other ways to get football players on to Alabama's team besides athletic scholoarships like Jake Wingo whose dad [layed for Bryant can receive the Bryant scholi and play for Alabama (hint hint). Also Kent there aren't that many just 2 and nobody has heard of Chris because he backed up Markus and David made all 6A or something like that as a Jr. David is better than Markus and y'all don't believe go to TCHS next fall on Fridays and watch for yourself. I had the chance of playing with him and y'all have no idea how bad he wants to play for Bama. Also Tide JeBron doesn't have any siblings so don't try and act smart. </font>
The bottom line is no one knows what is going to happen when it comes to recruiting. Did you know Shula would change his mind about JPW playing both sports? I didn't think so. Did you know about possibly JPW gray shirting? I didn't think so. As far as making statements that so and so knows and talked to so and so, that doesn't cut it on this board. Everyone seems to know someone and it doesn't matter a hill of beans. Even somone's cousin's brother's sister.
On this board you have to back it up with facts which you do not have. As far as recruits wanting to play for Alabama, I am sure that is true, but you can't sign 1000 players each year, FYI. We have 19 scholarships and whoever the staff recruits and signs is good enough for me.

Patriot, getting cute with "alternative" ways to getting kids to play football at Alabama is like tap dancing in a minefield. Not too bright given Alabama's precarious situation vis a vis the NCAA.

As for comparing Jebron Manson, I'm sure he's a good player and will probably do well somewhere but I'm sorry, there's no comparison bwtween him and DJ Williams. Williams was the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year (if memory serves) coming out of HS. He played for one of the premier HS teams in the country. He's also something like 6'2" and 230-240 lbs.

kent4tide

Dec 7, 2003
yeah i think if jebron was the next DJ Williams, then bama woulda already offered him a scholly...rtr!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.